Collapse

Support The Site!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I understand the jump if a fall as well from those teams that lost.

I would guest that UNK's non conference schedule is what hurt them. They did have two wins against FHSU but FHSU had a much tougher non conference schedule!

I don't like the argument of two teams per conference - teams are playing non conference in region games to show the difference conference strengths/weaknesses. I do think UNK gets in without the St.Cloud steal but I also am one to think maybe UNK should be in instead of SWOSU.
    SWOSU now has the the opportunity to prove why they got in.

Comment

UNK really needs to try and upgrade their non-conference schedule next year. Although with only four non-conference games available that might be hard to do.

IMO - There were three terrible teams in the MIAA this year (LU, RSU,NSU), three not good teams (NWMSU, MSSU, NU), three good teams (UCO, PSU, WU) and five teams that were probably good enough to deserve an NCAA bid with a break here or there. UCM obviously made the most of their breaks and won the regular season and tournament championships.

Interesting note - you have to go back to 2003 to find the last time an MIAA team swept the regular season and tourney championships and then won the regional on their home floor. WU did it that year and then got beat in the Elite 8 by Northern Kentucky in St. Joe. NWMSU, thanks in large part to a 6-4 GA volleyball coach still having a year of basketball eligibility, won the MIAA regular season & tourney, and regional tourney titles but had to play the regional at Tahlequah, Okla.

Comment

Originally posted by Hornetfan View Post
        UNK really needs to try and upgrade their non-conference schedule next year. Although with only four non-conference games available that might be hard to do.
        Why would only be 4 non-conference games available? We only play 19 conference games & you can play a maximum of 26 regular season games plus a 2 game crossover regional challenge for a total of 28 games. They have the opportunity to have as many as 9 non-conference games next year, but your point is still very valid about they must upgrade the non-conference schedule. It is realistic for them to do it if they are willing to travel for some of those games. We played 4 very tough non-conference games on the road this year that really helped our strength of schedule because of willingness to travel.

Comment

Originally posted by TigerAlum View Post
          I understand the jump if a fall as well from those teams that lost.

I would guest that UNK's non conference schedule is what hurt them. They did have two wins against FHSU but FHSU had a much tougher non conference schedule!

I don't like the argument of two teams per conference - teams are playing non conference in region games to show the difference conference strengths/weaknesses. I do think UNK gets in without the St.Cloud steal but I also am one to think maybe UNK should be in instead of SWOSU.
          SWOSU now has the the opportunity to prove why they got in.
          I don't think St Cloud "stole" anything. I think their semi-final win over #3 Sioux Falls was enough to jump past Kearney and Harding, neither beat any ranked teams last week, which would put them in the regional even if they had lost to Duluth in the finals. By beating Duluth, they jumped past Hays & SWOK (who also didn't beat any ranked teams last week) to #6.

Comment

Simply eliminate all non-conference games.

Comment

Originally posted by Brandon View Post

***Post of the Year Nominee***

#onetruechampion

Comment

Originally posted by Brandon View Post

Heck why not. It seems to work if football for all three leagues. :bad:

Comment

Originally posted by ichabodhater View Post

Why would only be 4 non-conference games available? We only play 19 conference games & you can play a maximum of 26 regular season games plus a 2 game crossover regional challenge for a total of 28 games. They have the opportunity to have as many as 9 non-conference games next year, but your point is still very valid about they must upgrade the non-conference schedule. It is realistic for them to do it if they are willing to travel for some of those games. We played 4 very tough non-conference games on the road this year that really helped our strength of schedule because of willingness to travel.
                  The MIAA is going to 22 conference games next year. You're right about the conference challenges but that is still just six non-conference games.

Comment

The MIAA is going to 22 conference games next year. You're right about the conference challenges but that is still just six non-conference games.
                    I wasn’t aware of that yet but it will be fascinating to see how they decide who plays who twice. The last couple of years it was fairly simple as they just drew a line that basically said if you are on the west side of it you play these teams twice & the teams east of it once each, east of it you play these other teams twice & teams west of the line once each.

22 conference games leads to 9 teams twice each & the other 4 teams once. Stuff like that leads me to believe that we are better as a 10 team double round robin for basketball & 10 teams for football with 2 non-conference games.

Comment

Originally posted by ichabodhater View Post

I wasn’t aware of that yet but it will be fascinating to see how they decide who plays who twice. The last couple of years it was fairly simple as they just drew a line that basically said if you are on the west side of it you play these teams twice & the teams east of it once each, east of it you play these other teams twice & teams west of the line once each.

22 conference games leads to 9 teams twice each & the other 4 teams once. Stuff like that leads me to believe that we are better as a 10 team double round robin for basketball & 10 teams for football with 2 non-conference games.
                      Could not agree more!

Comment

Ad3

Collapse
                      Working...
                      X