Support The Site!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by GrifFan View Post

That's the rub. If I'm counting right there are 23 conferences - there's no way to divide that into eight regions evenly. Plus the SC region with just two conferences has two of the largest in it - there's no combination that's going to be much better.

I know some will make the argument against regionalization, which is valid, but I'm not convinced there's any collection of people that could put together a "best 64" that looks much better than the current model.
    In football, I'm fairly convinced I could get the best 20. Number 21-28 could have errors, however.

Comment

• Originally posted by #WolvesNation View Post

Interesting that winning a conference tournament isn't listed as a criteria to seed teams. Not having it in there, I guess makes sense for Northern to get a 4 seed. It would seem to me that maybe the criteria should be looked and re-assessed. The conference tournament emulates how the Regional is played - so it would seem to me you would reward a team for playing great for 3 out of 4 days at the end of the year like the regional and national tournament are going to be. But here I am just sitting behind a computer so my input matters a lot I'm sure.
      Except for the whole fact the majority of competition in the conference tournaments are nowhere near Regional worthy. Especially this year in the NSIC. Some years the conference tourney can help you, some years it doesnt. Had Northern played USF and/or UMD this year maybe they get the 2 seed, instead they played SMSU, Augie, Moorhead, and Mankato which got them the 4 seed.

Comment

• The neutral court thing seems like a no go from the start. My understanding is that all levels under D1 lose money for the NCAA. One of the income streams is to charge schools to host a regional. Just how much would a school be willing to pay if their team wasn't playing.

Comment

• Originally posted by Randy View Post
          The neutral court thing seems like a no go from the start. My understanding is that all levels under D1 lose money for the NCAA. One of the income streams is to charge schools to host a regional. Just how much would a school be willing to pay if their team wasn't playing.
          There will still be a top seed in each of the eight regions that would get to host (in my scenarios). May have a few teams that have to travel to a different region, but still seems better than missing out on regional all together.

Comment

• Originally posted by Augieholic View Post

Except for the whole fact the majority of competition in the conference tournaments are nowhere near Regional worthy. Especially this year in the NSIC. Some years the conference tourney can help you, some years it doesnt. Had Northern played USF and/or UMD this year maybe they get the 2 seed, instead they played SMSU, Augie, Moorhead, and Mankato which got them the 4 seed.

Comment

• Originally posted by #WolvesNation View Post

Interesting that winning a conference tournament isn't listed as a criteria to seed teams. Not having it in there, I guess makes sense for Northern to get a 4 seed. It would seem to me that maybe the criteria should be looked and re-assessed. The conference tournament emulates how the Regional is played - so it would seem to me you would reward a team for playing great for 3 out of 4 days at the end of the year like the regional and national tournament are going to be. But here I am just sitting behind a computer so my input matters a lot I'm sure.

Comment

• Originally posted by Alfred33 View Post

The only problem I see with that would be the attendance would be abysmal without a host team or a dog in the fight. Division 1 draws no matter who is playing because it's March Madness and people are interested, but early round games in D2... I don't see it. Maybe there isn't that much value in that to anyone... I don't know. Outside of the host team's sessions, the attendance is hit or miss anyway, I guess.

Comment

• Comment

• Do you go for football too?

Comment

• True, but your talking about a major city with 1/2 a million people, many of which are alumni of MIAA schools, with a large downtown venue, and not D2 member schools in the middle of nowhere. Your example of Drury in Springfield might be a great place to host a regional, even without Drury... its a great venue and a pretty large city, so that may work. Again, I don't know if having people in the stands is even something anyone would consider important. If there isn't any profit in it anyway, than it's probably not a factor.

Comment

True, but your talking about a major city with 1/2 a million people, many of which are alumni of MIAA schools, with a large downtown venue, and not D2 member schools in the middle of nowhere. Your example of Drury in Springfield might be a great place to host a regional, even without Drury... its a great venue and a pretty large city, so that may work. Again, I don't know if having people in the stands is even something anyone would consider important. If there isn't any profit in it anyway, than it's probably not a factor.
                        KC metro is two million.

Comment

• Originally posted by Randy View Post
                          The neutral court thing seems like a no go from the start. My understanding is that all levels under D1 lose money for the NCAA. One of the income streams is to charge schools to host a regional. Just how much would a school be willing to pay if their team wasn't playing.
                          This is my belief as well.

Right now, someone pays to host. That would probably go out the window. Also, they'd have to pay for the host team to travel when they don't in the current format.

Comment

• Originally posted by Brandon View Post

KC metro is two million.

Comment

• A. At least with the regional selections, there's a relatively small number of teams and they have at least some common opponent/head-to-head data points to compare. How are you going to decide between say Duluth and teams with similar records or better from Florida or California? I don't see how it can be done in any kind of fair way.

B. One of the things that makes the D2 tournament special is the home-court atmosphere; I don't know why you'd take that away, let alone the challenge of requiring a D2 school with limited resources to host a tournament they aren't involved in.

Comment

I don't know about that... I see two guys trying to get the inside position and getting tangled up. That sh*t happens all the time. Yes, Martin shed him, and he did get whistled for it. They went to the monitor to see if there was something more there... There wasn't. We hit the 3 and got the ball back... shouldn't we be cheering Martin for that one?
                                How many people realize the foul ended up in the books on Lambert instead of Martin?

Comment

Ad3

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X