Support The Site!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by MrMustang View Post
    I haven't been able to check for awhile. Lots of new stuff to ponder.

1.. I think there are going to be a lot of transfers in the next few months and everything for all these kids in in complete limbo. There will be big surpises too in transfers. Just because it is so turbulent.

2. Does the market crash kill Augie going to the Summit? Curious.

3. How many fans don't return. ability to pay will be some of it, but how many are going to just say they don't miss it. I will be there with the NBA and NHL probably. I don't miss it so far.

4. I think some of these kids will be away from campus and get way too many people in their ears giving them bad advice. That will affect the conference more than we think.

5. I wonder how big this will all cause the NCAA rules to be changed regarding transfers etc. I could see a major revamp of all this.

6. How likely is college online classes to become the norm? That will change college athletics.

i could come up with about another 10 things, but I am too exahausted with all the news to think. Stay safe people
    As to online classes, this may accelerate the shift even more but we're already hearing from many of our students that are anxious about the move, prefer in class, and obviously many miss the interactions of being on campus. Online has grown tremendously and will continue but there will still be many who prefer the on campus experience. How that looks may drastically change.

Sorry to hear about your son missing out on that experience. That sucks

Comment

Originally posted by NWHoops View Post

As to online classes, this may accelerate the shift even more but we're already hearing from many of our students that are anxious about the move, prefer in class, and obviously many miss the interactions of being on campus. Online has grown tremendously and will continue but there will still be many who prefer the on campus experience. How that looks may drastically change.

This has been what I've been hearing as well. Of course there have always been some who have embraced the online environment, and others who will adapt more quickly than they expect, but there are things the face-to-face environment provides that just can't be duplicated.

Comment

Originally posted by SW_Mustang View Post

In terms of the coronavirus shutdown, or in general?

SMSU has heavily expanded into online classes, even in the past couple of years. When I started, there were a few options - now there are entire majors that have been mirrored online. Sometime between 2012-2014, they adopted the idea that every class is a "hybrid" class. That's not necessarily true in practice, though the option is definitely there.
        In general. This has shown it can be done and arguably would be much cheaper for most students. And folks are gonna be broke after all this. They are going to be looking for much cheaper alternatives than $20 K for a year of college

Comment

Originally posted by vikingfaithful View Post

Great post Mr. Mustang

If Covid19 persists, I could see students wanting to be closer to home and transfers.

A recession is the last thing Augustana would want when they are trying to raise athletic capital. Could easily see the administration pulling the plug on D1.

My belief is that fans will stay loyal. Pro and big time D1 sports with outrageous ticket and concession prices certainly could suffer.

Do not see rule changes for transferring athletes.

Do not think Covid19 persists and expect vaccines will become available. No kid wants to take online classes when they could be on campus.

This was going to be a year where #1 AU softball had a chance to repeat as NC.Bummer.

Sports are a great diversion from the monotony of everyday life. Maybe cheap local HS. and small college sports will have a renaissance.
          Hreat comments and additional things to ponder. Folks are gonna be broke and strapped after this so everyone is going to have to adjust. Especially pro sports but also D2

Comment

Fell just terrible for kids who are hs seniors! The end of their basketball seasons and looking like all or most of spring seasons gone. I can't imagine. Crazy stuff.

I have lots of cigars and whisky on hand. Once the weather improves, gettting through this will become much easier

Comment

Hreat comments and additional things to ponder. Folks are gonna be broke and strapped after this so everyone is going to have to adjust. Especially pro sports but also D2
              I usually make my donations to non-profits in Jan & Feb. I have made donations to MSU but I'm behind for the other ones. I'm waiting on those until this is done or at least letting up.

Comment

In general. This has shown it can be done and arguably would be much cheaper for most students. And folks are gonna be broke after all this. They are going to be looking for much cheaper alternatives than $20 K for a year of college
                Online courses are actually more expensive than in-person ones, at least for MinnState.

Not by a "ton" in terms of college costs, but still... I haven't asked why, but I'm wondering if the schools don't help cover internet costs for instructors. I took a course once through SMSU and the instructor lived in Rochester. Kinda weird being on campus and having my professor on the opposite end of the state.

Comment

Classroom instruction will always remain popular with the traditional student demographic. Online courses are typically for non-traditional students, especially those who can't be on campus for whatever reason. Trad students typically take online courses as a result of scheduling conflicts, summer courses, or because the course is only offered online.

I don't really see that changing anytime soon either, unless state schools start shedding campuses entirely to move online - but I doubt that will happen for the foreseeable future.

Comment

Fond du Lac told me that there will be no more on site visits this school year. All contacts will be on line, and they want to use Zoom so I can watch. So no trips to Fulda- lucky for me I got one done to Holdingford and Rocori.

Comment

Another Bulldog has left the yard

https://twitter.com/WisBBYearbook/st...416592898?s=19

Comment

I didn't see this on D2 but Sundance Wicks is now on the Wyoming staff.

https://trib.com/sports/college/wyom...ign=user-share

Comment

Originally posted by SW_Mustang View Post

Online courses are actually more expensive than in-person ones, at least for MinnState.

Not by a "ton" in terms of college costs, but still... I haven't asked why, but I'm wondering if the schools don't help cover internet costs for instructors. I took a course once through SMSU and the instructor lived in Rochester. Kinda weird being on campus and having my professor on the opposite end of the state.
                          There has actually been a ton of discussion at the legislature in Minnesota around why online courses ALL cost more than in person. The reasons given by systems have been less that convincing.

Comment

Originally posted by wsuguy87 View Post

There has actually been a ton of discussion at the legislature in Minnesota around why online courses ALL cost more than in person. The reasons given by systems have been less that convincing.
                            Leave it to the government to make things more costly.

I remember the first year the Gophers sold booze at the new stadium. They actually LOST $3000 that season. Their excuse was that they bought plants to make the buying area more hospitable. Only the U of M could lose money selling booze.

Comment

Originally posted by wsuguy87 View Post

Need to establish accounts for use in funding alternate means to brain wash the students.

Comment

Originally posted by Augieholic View Post

Comment

Ad3

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X