Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by DapperDan View Post

One more
    I saw his name pop up recently. Another wing player, which is a nice addition to the current roster.

Comment

Originally posted by wsuguy87 View Post

I saw his name pop up recently. Another wing player, which is a nice addition to the current roster.

I watched some of his video. Just like everybody on those things he never misses a shot of course but it looks like he is going to have to come up with a quicker trigger.

Comment

I watched some of his video. Just like everybody on those things he never misses a shot of course but it looks like he is going to have to come up with a quicker trigger.
        Still appears that Winona building some real momentum on the recruiting front. We will see if that ultimately works out form them or not.

Comment

Originally posted by Moorhead123 View Post

Still appears that Winona building some real momentum on the recruiting front. We will see if that ultimately works out form them or not.
          It definitely feels like the anti-Eisner guys will finally either officially be proven right or proven wrong. Seems that if he can't get the Warriors at or near the top in the next few seasons, that experiment might be coming to an end.

Then again, if Augie had given up on Texas Tom after 6-7 years (with a few close, but not quite championship-level years), it's possible we don't have our 2014-2016 stretch. So who knows what WSU's administration will do on that front.

Comment

Originally posted by MrAugustana View Post

It definitely feels like the anti-Eisner guys will finally either officially be proven right or proven wrong. Seems that if he can't get the Warriors at or near the top in the next few seasons, that experiment might be coming to an end.

Then again, if Augie had given up on Texas Tom after 6-7 years (with a few close, but not quite championship-level years), it's possible we don't have our 2014-2016 stretch. So who knows what WSU's administration will do on that front.
            That's always the kicker, isn't it...?!

I once remember a feeling around at least a small faction of SMSU fans that Greg Stemen was in over his head. After taking over for Miles coming off a region title, Southwest had a declining win total in each of Stemen's first four years. His last four years in Marshall went slightly better for him....

Comment

Originally posted by MrAugustana View Post

I have always been a little flummoxed by Eisner's recruiting, but have also stopped short of saying he should be fired. I feel like it's tough to know with a D2 program l have always felt like coaches at the non-D1 level should be judged on things beyond the win-loss record. Graduation rates. Team GPA. Community engagement and service, etc. Not to say I want to settle for middle-of-the-road, but I have always felt like Eisner does well on these other fronts, too. Now, just to get that whole winning thing down.
              Last edited by wsuguy87; 04-17-2020, 04:08 PM.

Comment

I have always been a little flummoxed by Eisner's recruiting, but have also stopped short of saying he should be fired. I feel like it's tough to know when a D2 program l have always felt like coaches at the non-D1 level should be judged on things beyond the win-loss record. Graduation rates. Team GPA. Community engagement and service, etc. Not to say I want to settle for middle-of-the-road, but I have always felt like Eisner does well on these other fronts, too. Now, just to get that whole winning thing down.

Comment

I have always been a little flummoxed by Eisner's recruiting, but have also stopped short of saying he should be fired. I feel like it's tough to know when a D2 program l have always felt like coaches at the non-D1 level should be judged on things beyond the win-loss record. Graduation rates. Team GPA. Community engagement and service, etc. Not to say I want to settle for middle-of-the-road, but I have always felt like Eisner does well on these other fronts, too. Now, just to get that whole winning thing down.
                  In fairness I think the first years were brought down some, probably more than some, by the Leaf fiasco. Fortunately for Eisner, and despite everything, Leaf's good players stuck around, because he and Malvik sure weren't coming up with much. I'm sure all the other coaches were more than happy to hype disarray if they were competing with Winona for a good recruit. Even so it seems by mid-year plus or minus they have been pretty competitive. So some testament is owed there. Its the early part of the year that's been a disaster. Feels like every time they go off somewhere, be it California, Missouri or wherever, they get hammered in the opening games. They've even somewhat struggled against D3's and NAIA's now and then. They just have not seemed prepared to start seasons for some reason. As a result of piling up early D2 losses, and bad ones, they are always out of the Region picture before the season hardly starts. There is now clearly talent to work with so the early season failure has to stop. Time to be good right out of the shoot.

Comment

In fairness I think the first years were brought down some, probably more than some, by the Leaf fiasco. Fortunately for Eisner, and despite everything, Leaf's good players stuck around, because he and Malvik sure weren't coming up with much. I'm sure all the other coaches were more than happy to hype disarray if they were competing with Winona for a good recruit.
                    I also believe the facility improvements have helped some with recruiting.

Comment

Originally posted by Stanger86 View Post

I also believe the facility improvements have helped some with recruiting.
                      Could be. They built the Wellness Center which has a lot more appeal than lifting weights in a closet and turning and dressing up the gym keeps us from looking down at our shoes quite so much. Current status is adequate for D2 but still miles from some others, Mankato for sure and probably Northern from what I see on this board.

Comment

In fairness I think the first years were brought down some, probably more than some, by the Leaf fiasco. Fortunately for Eisner, and despite everything, Leaf's good players stuck around, because he and Malvik sure weren't coming up with much. I'm sure all the other coaches were more than happy to hype disarray if they were competing with Winona for a good recruit. Even so it seems by mid-year plus or minus they have been pretty competitive. So some testament is owed there. Its the early part of the year that's been a disaster. Feels like every time they go off somewhere, be it California, Missouri or wherever, they get hammered in the opening games. They've even somewhat struggled against D3's and NAIA's now and then. They just have not seemed prepared to start seasons for some reason. As a result of piling up early D2 losses, and bad ones, they are always out of the Region picture before the season hardly starts. There is now clearly talent to work with so the early season failure has to stop. Time to be good right out of the shoot.
                        The early season struggles are strange. I would expect (hope) that it's not that way next year with the core they have returning. There may be an early learning curve for the transfers, but with the guys back, one would think they can hit the ground running next year.

Comment

The early season struggles are strange. I would expect (hope) that it's not that way next year with the core they have returning. There may be an early learning curve for the transfers, but with the guys back, one would think they can hit the ground running next year.

Comment

Could be. They built the Wellness Center which has a lot more appeal than lifting weights in a closet and turning and dressing up the gym keeps us from looking down at our shoes quite so much. Current status is adequate for D2 but still miles from some others, Mankato for sure and probably Northern from what I see on this board.
                            The gym improvements brought it from bottom 2 in the NSIC (with Crookston) to middle of the pack, which should be more than adequate for a school like Winona with all it has going in its favor.

Comment

Exactly what I was thinking. The bench will be interesting. Rosner, Martins, Klug, and Peyton all have experience, but there's not a lot of size in that group. Martins plays bigger than his actual size, but if Dillon and/or Lo aren't in, it's a pretty small line up. I would guess the twins redshirt next year, but perhaps the other freshmen who are 6'4 or so might have to play a bit?

Comment

Exactly what I was thinking. The bench will be interesting. Rosner, Martins, Klug, and Peyton all have experience, but there's not a lot of size in that group. Martins plays bigger than his actual size, but if Dillon and/or Lo aren't in, it's a pretty small line up. I would guess the twins redshirt next year, but perhaps the other freshmen who are 6'4 or so might have to play a bit?
                                They've got 6'8" Riak to give them a few minutes in a pinch here and there. He is not as skilled but for fairly short stretches at a time he won't hurt you too bad. I was thinking pretty much all the freshman would redshirt, at least to start, but maybe one or two don't. Best bets might be Arenz and Abdul-Wahid. From the little I've heard Abdul-Wahid could be good. He probably wouldn't see many minutes behind Taylor this year so it would be good to save him and allow an extra year to develop if possible. Eisner's tweet pretty much assured Lomas would redshirt. They have 12 upper class-men with Goebel. That should be enough unless somebody gets hurt. They've played recently with a lot shorter bench than that. From what I've seen they can all play okay. The only one that has not gotten enough minutes to say for sure is Flowers and from the brief snippets he looks alright to me. Maybe he gets more in the mix. He's listed at 6'4". Not huge but not a short guard either.

Comment

Ad3

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X