Support The Site!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Underappreciated talents

Trying to get some discussion going here....who are some of your favorite players over the years in your program's history who maybe get forgotten or overlooked by the masses in discussions about former players?

A few examples from SMSU over the past couple decade could include LaRon Dawn, Chad Orum, Matt Zager and Turner Moen.

I'll bite. From the 2017 NW National Championship team, I think D'Vante Mosby would qualify as someone who probably gets overlooked. A reserve player that just provided crazy amounts of energy and hustle. Rebounding, loose balls, attitude, guarded bigger stronger players. Nothing elite about his game, but kind of a junk yard dog type that was definitely a key player in the team's run that year. Great kid too.

Comment

Originally posted by Alfred33 View Post
      I'll bite. From the 2017 NW National Championship team, I think D'Vante Mosby would qualify as someone who probably gets overlooked. A reserve player that just provided crazy amounts of energy and hustle. Rebounding, loose balls, attitude, guarded bigger stronger players. Nothing elite about his game, but kind of a junk yard dog type that was definitely a key player in the team's run that year. Great kid too.
      His leadership was a great asset also. Saying he's a great kid is really underselling it (I know you weren't doing that in any way). He's as good of a person as any I've ever encountered. He was mature way beyond his years.

Comment

For sure.... 100%. I know he was very generous with his time away from school and the basketball court, working at group homes, doing church camps for kids, mission trips, and probably more than we even know. I loved the way he played basketball... never got out-hustled, enjoyed doing the dirty work, and always smiling. :)

Comment

So I took underappreciated to mean players that did not receive awards and accolades like all-conference. The 2 that I thought of from the most recent runs of Northern success were Bo Fries and Kyle Schwan. They are both beloved by the Northern fan base because they local kids (Kyle from Aberdeen, and Bo from a small town less than an hour away), but didn't receive much publicity otherwise. Bo was the perfect role player during his time at Northern. He played bigger than he was, provided a three-point threat, and always played good defense. Schwan suffered through a ton of injuries or he could have been an even bigger part of the mid-aughts teams. He often seemed like Coach Meyer's whipping boy as he was regularly subject to some of the harsher butt chewings. But he also played hard and provided a scoring threat.

Comment

Originally posted by Stanger86 View Post
            Trying to get some discussion going here....who are some of your favorite players over the years in your program's history who maybe get forgotten or overlooked by the masses in discussions about former players?

A few examples from SMSU over the past couple decade could include LaRon Dawn, Chad Orum, Matt Zager and Turner Moen.
            Scott Roehl for the Mustangs. Beast

best rebounder I have ever seen

Comment

Gabe King

Comment

Turner Moen. Tough as nails. 2nd toughest Mustang ever after Scott Roehl

Comment

Quincy Henderson

Comment

Originally posted by DapperDan View Post
                    Quincy Henderson
                    One of the first people I thought of from outside of SMSU when making this thread.

Comment

Originally posted by MrMustang View Post
                      Gabe King
                      100% agree that he was underappreciated for how good he was, eventhough he did finally get some accolades this season. Gabe was one of my favorite players to watch since I've been following NSU basketball.

Comment

Originally posted by DapperDan View Post
                        Quincy Henderson
                        good one

Comment

I'm kind of in the same boat as Thunder in terms of assessing how we define "underappreciated."

For me, the first person that came to mind from the past few years is Al Richter, even though he did make some All-NSIC lists. But Al was the kind of kid who, at least offensively, probably could have been the star of several other teams in the conference (as evidenced by his Elite Eight "Most Outstanding Player" achievement) and ended up being essentially the 3rd option behind Dan Jansen and Casey Schilling. Maybe others would disagree with me, but I could easily see an alternate version of Al Richter that followed the Harrison Cleary model averaging 22-25 ppg on several other teams. Instead, he got comfortable scoring 14-16 points per game, making hugely clutch plays when the Vikes needed them, and just being a mentally tough player even when dealing with injuries and whatnot. I think if we have an Al Richter type of kid on this past year's Augie team, that brutal stretch in January ends up being at least a few games less miserable. Thinking about that now makes me wonder if quite a few Augie fans probably underappreciated what he brought to the team during his time in a Vikings jersey, having been somewhat blinded by what Schilling and Jansen brought to the table numbers-wise.

I would also throw Adam Beyer into that underappreciated group. 6'6" point guard turned shooting guard who could defend several positions, rarely made stupid plays, became a more consistent offensive threat as his career continued, and didn't seem remotely interested in being in the limelight or needing more attention, shots, etc.

Comment

Originally posted by Thunder View Post
                            So I took underappreciated to mean players that did not receive awards and accolades like all-conference.
                            Originally posted by MrAugustana View Post
                            I'm kind of in the same boat as Thunder in terms of assessing how we define "underappreciated."
                            I assume Thunder Googled the guy that I put out for Northwest which is where the discussion of what qualifies as underappreciated is coming from. After seeing your posts, I Googled him too, I honestly didn't remember that the Mosby made honorable mention all-conference his Junior season. I'm a little surprised by that actually, as usually all conference teams are stat driven and he never had eye-popping numbers. He was 7th on the team in minutes played both his junior and senior season and only averaged around 8 points a game. Obviously, as it was, there were coaches that saw and appreciated his value, which wouldn't make him "underappreciated" in that regard. Maybe he was "underappreciated" by our staff! lol The OP used the description of "favorite players over the years in your program's history who maybe get forgotten or overlooked by the masses"... He is that for most part. Going into the 2018 season, I think the more casual NW fans (non basketball junkies) were more concerned about losing the 3 point shooting of Zach Schneider and the overall guard play of Anthony Woods than they were about losing our 7th man.

Comment

Cameron Hodges
                              Gage Wooten
                              Jesse Clark

Comment

Ad3

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X