Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Augie Skyhook
    replied
    Since Augieholic likely won't let me say Bodey Behrends, I think he'd appreciate it if I said Marques Blank would probably fit this category as well for Augie.

Leave a comment:

• DapperDan
    replied
    You are absolutely right about DJ. That guy was a big time sniper. Probably could have been a solid D1 player just for his stroke. 46+% from three point land is crazy. Too bad he got injured at the end of his senior year

Leave a comment:

• Stanger86
    replied
    Originally posted by MrAugustana View Post
    For Augie, I would add Lee Stephens and maybe Elliot Thomas.
    I was trying to think of the best candidate from that 2009 team, Stephens is a good choice. Initially without research I thought David Foster, but upon further review realized that he led the team in scoring. Wouldn't have guessed that...

Leave a comment:

• MrAugustana
    replied
    For Augie, I would add Lee Stephens and maybe Elliot Thomas.

Leave a comment:

• fanofnsic
    replied
    https://winonastatewarriors.com/docu...ok_2019_20.pdf

Leave a comment:

• Moorhead123
    replied
    Ayob Ayob
    Ngijol Sangolo
    Matt Nelson

Leave a comment:

• Purple Mav Man
    replied
    Cameron Hodges
    Gage Wooten
    Jesse Clark

Leave a comment:

• Alfred33
    replied
    Originally posted by Thunder View Post
    So I took underappreciated to mean players that did not receive awards and accolades like all-conference.
    Originally posted by MrAugustana View Post
    I'm kind of in the same boat as Thunder in terms of assessing how we define "underappreciated."
    I assume Thunder Googled the guy that I put out for Northwest which is where the discussion of what qualifies as underappreciated is coming from. After seeing your posts, I Googled him too, I honestly didn't remember that the Mosby made honorable mention all-conference his Junior season. I'm a little surprised by that actually, as usually all conference teams are stat driven and he never had eye-popping numbers. He was 7th on the team in minutes played both his junior and senior season and only averaged around 8 points a game. Obviously, as it was, there were coaches that saw and appreciated his value, which wouldn't make him "underappreciated" in that regard. Maybe he was "underappreciated" by our staff! lol The OP used the description of "favorite players over the years in your program's history who maybe get forgotten or overlooked by the masses"... He is that for most part. Going into the 2018 season, I think the more casual NW fans (non basketball junkies) were more concerned about losing the 3 point shooting of Zach Schneider and the overall guard play of Anthony Woods than they were about losing our 7th man.

Leave a comment:

• MrAugustana
    replied
    I'm kind of in the same boat as Thunder in terms of assessing how we define "underappreciated."

For me, the first person that came to mind from the past few years is Al Richter, even though he did make some All-NSIC lists. But Al was the kind of kid who, at least offensively, probably could have been the star of several other teams in the conference (as evidenced by his Elite Eight "Most Outstanding Player" achievement) and ended up being essentially the 3rd option behind Dan Jansen and Casey Schilling. Maybe others would disagree with me, but I could easily see an alternate version of Al Richter that followed the Harrison Cleary model averaging 22-25 ppg on several other teams. Instead, he got comfortable scoring 14-16 points per game, making hugely clutch plays when the Vikes needed them, and just being a mentally tough player even when dealing with injuries and whatnot. I think if we have an Al Richter type of kid on this past year's Augie team, that brutal stretch in January ends up being at least a few games less miserable. Thinking about that now makes me wonder if quite a few Augie fans probably underappreciated what he brought to the team during his time in a Vikings jersey, having been somewhat blinded by what Schilling and Jansen brought to the table numbers-wise.

I would also throw Adam Beyer into that underappreciated group. 6'6" point guard turned shooting guard who could defend several positions, rarely made stupid plays, became a more consistent offensive threat as his career continued, and didn't seem remotely interested in being in the limelight or needing more attention, shots, etc.

Leave a comment:

• MrMustang
    replied
    Originally posted by DapperDan View Post
    Quincy Henderson
    good one

Leave a comment:

• Thunder
    replied
    Originally posted by MrMustang View Post
    Gabe King
    100% agree that he was underappreciated for how good he was, eventhough he did finally get some accolades this season. Gabe was one of my favorite players to watch since I've been following NSU basketball.

Leave a comment:

• Stanger86
    replied
    Originally posted by DapperDan View Post
    Quincy Henderson
    One of the first people I thought of from outside of SMSU when making this thread.

Leave a comment:

• DapperDan
    replied
    Quincy Henderson

Leave a comment:

• MrMustang
    replied
    Turner Moen. Tough as nails. 2nd toughest Mustang ever after Scott Roehl

Leave a comment:

• MrMustang
    replied
    Gabe King