X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• NSIC likely going to conference-only schedule for 2020-21

Thanks David. Bummer to have 1 less football game, it beats having no games

Comment

The NSIC would've been helped a lot by doing this last year...

Comment

Hopefully they will let teams schedule a couple exhibition/warmup basketball games...they could limit fans, etc.

Comment

The approach to this whole thing is nothing short of stupid. Just like why does it matter if you open small businesses two weeks ago or two weeks from now, how much difference is it going to make to have 10 football games rather than 11, or 22 basketball games instead of say 25? Sure, maybe somebody catches the virus at that 11th or 23rd game but what keeps that from happening at the 1st, the 10th or the 22nd? If you honestly are convinced it is some draconian danger to attend or participate in sporting events don't have any games. If you don't think that then have them all. Its not safe to enter a small business that is lucky to have five people in the store at any one time but they can be shoulder to shoulder in Walmart or Menards. We can put 50 people in a restaurant but only 10 in a church. We have destroyed a great economy and put the country horrendously in hock when from the get go it was known that it was the frail elderly and others with serious medical conditions at risk. About 99% of the people who have died fall into these categories. Good luck trying to convince me programs couldn't have been put in place to protect people without bringing the country to its knees. I know honest, hard working business people who have been absolutely destroyed by this and will probably be forced to file bankruptcy. Yet everybody that tells us how we have to live our lives keep picking up their two-week checks.

Comment

Originally posted by DapperDan View Post
            The approach to this whole thing is nothing short of stupid. Just like why does it matter if you open small businesses two weeks ago or two weeks from now, how much difference is it going to make to have 10 football games rather than 11, or 22 basketball games instead of say 25? Sure, maybe somebody catches the virus at that 11th or 23rd game but what keeps that from happening at the 1st, the 10th or the 22nd? If you honestly are convinced it is some draconian danger to attend or participate in sporting events don't have any games. If you don't think that then have them all. Its not safe to enter a small business that is lucky to have five people in the store at any one time but they can be shoulder to shoulder in Walmart or Menards. We can put 50 people in a restaurant but only 10 in a church. We have destroyed a great economy and put the country horrendously in hock when from the get go it was known that it was the frail elderly and others with serious medical conditions at risk. About 99% of the people who have died fall into these categories. Good luck trying to convince me programs couldn't have been put in place to protect people without bringing the country to its knees. I know honest, hard working business people who have been absolutely destroyed by this and will probably be forced to file bankruptcy. Yet everybody that tells us how we have to live our lives keep picking up their two-week checks.
            Agreed

Comment

Cost cutting. You are starting to see it happen in D-I Hockey as Holy Cross just cancelled a scheduled series at Arizona State and the Crusaders are now looking at lining up a more regional game or two with that open weekend and busing rather than a flight. It is an option other teams are exploring as well.

In the case of these three non-conference games getting cut from the NSIC schedule, it could eliminate one weekend of bus travel and hotels if they were road games. Not a huge savings in the grand scheme of things, but it makes it look like the effort is being put in to cut costs.

From the Grand Forks Herald:
              -----------
              It's becoming apparent that the college hockey season will not go off as originally planned.

Although it's only mid-May, college hockey teams are already starting to call off nonconference road trips that require airplane flights because of anticipated budget crunches due to the coronavirus pandemic.

The first domino has already fallen. Holy Cross has canceled its two-game series at Arizona State.

It won't be the last.

A source says that Boston College and Northeastern are expecting St. Cloud State to call off its October trip to Boston, where it was scheduled to play one game against each team. St. Cloud State says a final decision on the Boston trip is pending and should be made in about two weeks.

According to another source, Boston University is having high-level discussions about trying to move its two-game series at Northern Michigan to 2021-22, if possible.

"It is what it is," Arizona State coach Greg Powers said after losing its two games with Holy Cross. "We have a ton of respect for David (Berard, the Holy Cross head coach) and that program. We have a great relationship with them. Once this clears up, they're going to come back out. We'll go from there. I think he was very disappointed he had to make that call. It's completely out of anybody's control. It's the budget they have to operate from in this situation."

So far, none of UND's nonconference opponents have pulled out of scheduled games.

Earlier this month, Ralph Engelstad Arena sent a letter to fans saying that, at this time, the Nashville game against Penn State is on as scheduled. UND's other nonconference series -- home/away against Bemidji State, home vs. Minnesota, home vs. Niagara, home vs. Northern Michigan and at Cornell -- are still on as well.

But more scheduling dominoes are expected to fall in the coming weeks and months. A unique spot

College hockey conferences have started creating alternative schedules in case the season does not start on time.

The team in the most unique spot is Arizona State, the only independent of 60 Division-I men's college hockey teams. It relies solely on nonconference airplane trips to fill out its schedule.

Powers said that the Sun Devils are still in a good spot even after the Holy Cross series cancellation. At this point, that's the only schedule change for Arizona State.

The Sun Devils have 14 home games and 20 road games on the schedule, a full 34-game season. It had originally scheduled 36 games, because it is scheduled to travel to Alaska Anchorage. Games in Alaska are exempt from the 34-game schedule limit.

"We're in close contact with everybody," Powers said. "We're to the point where we've had detailed discussions about hotel arrangements and all that stuff. We're committed to our schedule from a travel standpoint. We know as an independent that we're not going to cancel road games.

"Whatever happens happens. There's still so much unknown. The worst thing we can do is negatively speculate. We're just going to plan like we're moving forward, because in our minds, we are."
              ---------------------
              Millsy

Comment

In an interview the other day Josh Moon talked about how this is a cost cutting thing and it will help some, but it isn't one size fits all and will hurt Northern in serious revenue. Which is in part why he voted against the reduction.

Comment

This is gonna be a gauntlet of a season, especially in the South. I've heard Bigler say a few times the South is as talented top-to-bottom as he's seen in his time as a head or assistant coach. I'll go out and say it's gonna be like the last couple years of the NCC, where anyone can win on any night.

Comment

Originally posted by Stanger86 View Post
                    This is gonna be a gauntlet of a season, especially in the South. I've heard Bigler say a few times the South is as talented top-to-bottom as he's seen in his time as a head or assistant coach. I'll go out and say it's gonna be like the last couple years of the NCC, where anyone can win on any night.

Comment

Will be interesting to see how this season plays out. Gonna be a lot of good teams and with only 22 games it will make it very interesting. Hopefully my coo get off to a strong start as their know as more of a defensive team and can be helped by the inexperience of other teams

Comment

Ad3

Collapse
                      Working...
                      X