Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• All-MIAA Team

Re: All-MIAA Team

Cam Martin didn't win POY and I'm unhappy about this...

Martin was third in scoring (21.3), second in rebounding (9.3) and first in FG% (61.8%) for a team that won 23 games (so far) and is going to make a regional...

No disrespect to Witthus as he's had a very good year but, he averaged a point less, five less rebounds and shot 11% worse from the field on a team that is absolutely loaded with talent. It's just seems lazy to name the leading scorer on the top team the POY, in my opinion. But, when you look up and see that the awards were swept by NWMSU, guess you can't act surprised...

Comment

Comment

Originally posted by NewmanAndDuquesne View Post

Martin was third in scoring (21.3), second in rebounding (9.3) and first in FG% (61.8%) for a team that won 23 games (so far) and is going to make a regional...

No disrespect to Witthus as he's had a very good year but, he averaged a point less, five less rebounds and shot 11% worse from the field on a team that is absolutely loaded with talent. It's just seems lazy to name the leading scorer on the top team the POY, in my opinion. But, when you look up and see that the awards were swept by NWMSU, guess you can't act surprised...

Comment

Your boy Cam has two more years to get to the mountain top. Patience is a virtue.

Comment

Comment

I guess coaches never get it wrong? God forbid somebody express an opinion on a message board.

Comment

I predicted Witthus. No shame in finishing behind him. Heckuva year.

Very proud of Cam for getting first-team recognition. I like his demeanor on the court - he takes a beating and the refs have swallowed their whistles a bunch when he has guys hanging on him, but he plays on and seems to never show anybody up with gestures or facial expressions. His coordination is great. Even better seasons are ahead for him.

McCollum is the obvious choice for Coach of the Year. Hudgins for Frosh of the Year. I didn't realize Hawkins' D was so impressive.

Comment

Originally posted by GrifFan View Post
                  I guess coaches never get it wrong? God forbid somebody express an opinion on a message board.

Comment

I sincerely don't mean to take anything away from Witthus. He has had a great year, there's no denying that. But, if you ask anyone who has watched MIAA basketball this year to tell you who the best player in the league is they will say it's Martin. That's no disrespect to Witthus, the numbers back it up. Even if he is just a sophomore.

This really just feels like they just wanted to reward NW for having a ridiculous season. This is understandable but, frustrating when it comes to individual awards.

Also worth pointing out: It's borderline unfair that Northwest gets four years of the backcourt duo of Hudgins/Bernard. That is honestly going to be the best guard tandem in D2 for the next three years.

Comment

I sincerely don't mean to take anything away from Witthus. He has had a great year, there's no denying that. But, if you ask anyone who has watched MIAA basketball this year to tell you who the best player in the league is they will say it's Martin. That's no disrespect to Witthus, the numbers back it up. Even if he is just a sophomore.

Also worth pointing out: It's borderline unfair that Northwest gets four years of the backcourt duo of Hudgins/Bernard. That is honestly going to be the best guard tandem in D2 for the next three years.

Comment

Coaches should be a better judge. They do sometimes get it wrong. They're human. It's OK to question their choices, and I though Newman makes a strong case. My vote would have been with Witthus, but what do I know.

Comment

Coaches should be a better judge. They do sometimes get it wrong. They're human. It's OK to question their choices, and I though Newman makes a strong case. My vote would have been with Witthus, but what do I know.

Comment

I know humans make mistakes: coaches, refs, Bearcat fans, even (rarely) Griffon fans. :)

Comment

D2 awards are weird sometimes. I thought Witthus would win because he was a senior on the top team. I also understand the frustration from Southern fans because this may have been Martin's only chance to win the POY.

We've seen it with the HHT before. Aside from Woodhead, it's essentially the "best senior year by a quarterback or running back" award. I do know that there are problems with the nomination process for the HHT, but the senior mindset cost Germaine Race the 2004 trophy. He should have ran away with it.

Comment

Ad3

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X