X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Prediction for 2020-21 season in the MIAA

Here are my predictions for the 2020-21 season:
    1-NWMS--4 starters return along with a talented recruiting class
    2-Washburn-all five starters return plus Will McKee-starter in 2018-19 returns from an injury
    3-Mo. Southern--only one starter returns but is is Cam Martin. Pretty nice piece to build around
    4-Mo. West--5 of their top 6 scorers return along with several capable guys off the bench
    5-Rogers State--5 seniors return along with 3 Division 1 transfers
    6-UNK--4 seniors return along with a Juco transfer
    7-Pitt State--3 senior starters return along with 7 total transfers with one being a D-1 transfer
    8-Fort Hays--3 seniors return along a Juco transfer
    9-Central Okla--3 seniors and 3 juniors return along with a D-1 transfer
    10-Central Missouri--3 seniors return along with three D-1 transfers
    11-Emporia State--Year 3 of the Doty era. 5 seniors along with a D-2 transfer and 3 Juco transfers
    12-Lincoln--almost a brand new team with 2 Seniors returning and 7 transfers included one D-1 transfer.
    13-Newman--the same thing with a brand new team. 12 newcomers including 8 transfers with one being a D-1 transfer
    14-Northeastern St.--brand new coach and a brand new team 10 newcomers with one being a D-1 transfer

This is hard to predict because there are a lot of newcomers especially on the teams 10 thru 14. There are 10 D-1 transfers coming into the conference this year and several D-2 transfers. Should be an exciting year. Once again, the MIAA will be loaded with talent. Can't wait to get the season started.

This probably applies more to the other thread regarding top players in the conference but- it will be interesting to see what the NCAA does for eligibility. Unless I missed it, I understand D1 winter sport athletes will get another year of eligibility but I have not heard about D2. That could have an impact on NW. If there is one critique of Coach Mac it is that he does not have much depth typically (possibly by choice?). I've heard this is a really good freshman class with a couple of kids who could play immediately but I know Mac typically tries to redshirt kids if possible. If they retain their eligibility either way then that may provide some depth he has been reluctant to use in the past.

Comment

Originally posted by NWHoops View Post
      This probably applies more to the other thread regarding top players in the conference but- it will be interesting to see what the NCAA does for eligibility. Unless I missed it, I understand D1 winter sport athletes will get another year of eligibility but I have not heard about D2. That could have an impact on NW. If there is one critique of Coach Mac it is that he does not have much depth typically (possibly by choice?). I've heard this is a really good freshman class with a couple of kids who could play immediately but I know Mac typically tries to redshirt kids if possible. If they retain their eligibility either way then that may provide some depth he has been reluctant to use in the past.
      Wouldn't it just be the kind of thing where they can redshirt if they would like without penalty? Is that what you are saying? Or are you saying it would be the kind of thing where they could play this year AND still get that year back after the season? Maybe I'm just misunderstanding your comment.

Comment

Originally posted by MrAugustana View Post

Wouldn't it just be the kind of thing where they can redshirt if they would like without penalty? Is that what you are saying? Or are you saying it would be the kind of thing where they could play this year AND still get that year back after the season? Maybe I'm just misunderstanding your comment.
        Yes, I meant they could possibly play this year and still maintain the year of eligibility. They would still have 4 more years in addition to playing this year. I know D1 has announced that but I haven't heard anything about D2. D2 is typically coming out with the same guidelines as D1, only a few weeks after D1 makes the announcement though.

D1 said every winter sport athlete who plays this year can come back and play again next year and this year would not count against their eligibility.

Comment

And there it is...
          Division II winter sport student-athletes who compete during the 2020-21 academic year will receive an additional season of competition through a waiver the Division II Management Council approved this week.

Comment

It'll be interesting to see if seniors stick around for a 5th season or leave to make room for the younger guys. Will another (unexpected) year of being a reserve player influence decisions of younger kids on staying put? Of course, I'd love to see Ryan Hawkins stick around for a 5th year with the group we have.

Water cooler talk here, but at the Chip Strong Memorial Golf tournament this year (which is a NW basketball benefit), It was said that Hawk claimed this years group would smoke last year's team. Made it sound like they've significantly upgraded their athleticism with the new guys. As a NW fan, that has to get you excited! Hopefully, we will get a season.

Comment

From a MIAA standpoint... would Cam stay another year while they reload around him? Scary. He can probably go make some money overseas... he should probably go. ;)

Comment

It will be interesting to see who comes back. I believe Hawkins redshirted his Freshman year so next year would be his 6th year. He is another one that could probably go make a lot of money in Europe as well. I think most of these guys will come back if this year is kind of a "lost year". However, if they play a full 22 games and get to have some post season, then I could see several of these guys not back for a 5th or 6th year.

Comment

I meant in terms of playing a 5th year, but yes, you are correct... Hawk did redshirt as a freshman. I agree, if he wants to, I'm sure he can play pro ball too. With most already completing their undergraduates, I guess it'll depend on how fast they want to start earning paychecks, whether it be from their degree or playing abroad. There will be some tough choices for some of them. Granted, good choices to have. Will there be asterisks in the record books? Speaking of another probable pro, I'm imagining if Hudgens were to play 5 years... he would assault the records books with the numbers he's had since day 1 if they get most of this season in and he stays healthy.

Anyway, I'm just glad to be talking about it again. :)

Comment

Originally posted by GrifFan View Post
                    And there it is...
                    How does this work with scholarship money? Can you keep getting money if you've gotten it for five years?

Comment

I assume you can. The rule used to be that you had 5 years to play 4 unless you received a 6th year for a medical hardship (which are difficult to get especially for a 6th year). I assume with COVID that this year is a year that doesn't count so I would assume you could get scholarship money for a 6th year. Some of these 6 yr seniors might have a doctorate by the time they leave campus. :)

Comment

Originally posted by Btech#3 View Post
                        Here are my predictions for the 2020-21 season:
                        1-NWMS--4 starters return along with a talented recruiting class
                        2-Washburn-all five starters return plus Will McKee-starter in 2018-19 returns from an injury
                        3-Mo. Southern--only one starter returns but is is Cam Martin. Pretty nice piece to build around
                        4-Mo. West--5 of their top 6 scorers return along with several capable guys off the bench
                        5-Rogers State--5 seniors return along with 3 Division 1 transfers
                        6-UNK--4 seniors return along with a Juco transfer
                        7-Pitt State--3 senior starters return along with 7 total transfers with one being a D-1 transfer
                        8-Fort Hays--3 seniors return along a Juco transfer
                        9-Central Okla--3 seniors and 3 juniors return along with a D-1 transfer
                        10-Central Missouri--3 seniors return along with three D-1 transfers
                        11-Emporia State--Year 3 of the Doty era. 5 seniors along with a D-2 transfer and 3 Juco transfers
                        12-Lincoln--almost a brand new team with 2 Seniors returning and 7 transfers included one D-1 transfer.
                        13-Newman--the same thing with a brand new team. 12 newcomers including 8 transfers with one being a D-1 transfer
                        14-Northeastern St.--brand new coach and a brand new team 10 newcomers with one being a D-1 transfer

This is hard to predict because there are a lot of newcomers especially on the teams 10 thru 14. There are 10 D-1 transfers coming into the conference this year and several D-2 transfers. Should be an exciting year. Once again, the MIAA will be loaded with talent. Can't wait to get the season started.
                        I can't debate any of your predictions... you do your homework! I'll just add that MoWest also gets hometown kid Caleb Bennet returning from a medical redshirt year. D1 Transfer from Leheigh. I'm interested to see how he fits it... a lot of people thought he'd end up in Maryville with his HS teammate Diego Benard. He should be a good player for them. Sundance may not have been there long, but he did leave them in good shape.

Comment

Good catch on Caleb Bennett. He will be a great addition and I left him off of my analysis. I saw him when he played AAU and he is a "dead eye" shooter. Mo. West is going to be really good. Three of the top four teams in my line-up have a lot of returnees and you know Boschee will reload at Mo. South. Rogers State is a big unknown but they loaded up on quite a few transfers. You also have Pitt State with several transfers that could be good as well. I just hope that we can get a good percentage of these games in. Looking forward to the season.

Comment

Ad3

Collapse
                          Working...
                          X