Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: 2019-20 SMSU Mustangs: Rebuilding the Dream

Originally posted by Stanger86 View Post
    The connection with SDSU is being so close by, 60 miles away. The Mustangs played the Jacks 5 consecutive years at one point, but the games stopped after 2013. I heard they refused to schedule us after that. There were a number of games between SDSU and Wayne (no doubt the Nagy connection played a role), but those stopped in TJ's second year. Now SD Mines seems to be the repeated team of choice for some reason, with them still scheduling various other small schools in the region as well.

In the 5 years since SDSU, we've played Nebraska twice and Minnesota once. That's it on the D1 scheduling. I wonder if we might see Utah State on the schedule in the near future?
    When the Jacks were in their early years as D1 if I recall SMSU beat them a couple of times.

Comment

Originally posted by vikingfaithful View Post
      When the Jacks were in their early years as D1 if I recall SMSU beat them a couple of times.
      Once, in 2008 (Elite Eight year). But still played 5 more times after that.

Comment

Originally posted by zimmy21 View Post
        Sounds like Miles has been fired by Nebraska. Hopefully he can find a new program to lead so you boys can play exhibition games against a D1 school still
        Hey, don't forget about the D1 in our own league we'll all get to play next year. When we play at the Pentagon, we should all get a Div. 1 style check. :)

Comment

Originally posted by simple as a $3 bill View Post
          Hey, don't forget about the D1 in our own league we'll all get to play next year. When we play at the Pentagon, we should all get a Div. 1 style check. :)
          Great point!

Comment

Well done, seniors!

https://twitter.com/RyanB_5/status/1111043829250052106

Comment

The connection with SDSU is being so close by, 60 miles away. The Mustangs played the Jacks 5 consecutive years at one point, but the games stopped after 2013. I heard they refused to schedule us after that. There were a number of games between SDSU and Wayne (no doubt the Nagy connection played a role), but those stopped in TJ's second year. Now SD Mines seems to be the repeated team of choice for some reason, with them still scheduling various other small schools in the region as well.

In the 5 years since SDSU, we've played Nebraska twice and Minnesota once. That's it on the D1 scheduling. I wonder if we might see Utah State on the schedule in the near future?
              Easy win, maybe?

Augie, Northern, and even SMSU in a good year are far from a guaranteed win for some of these smaller D1s. I guess that's what I'd always thought, in regards to SDSU anyway.

Comment

Originally posted by SW_Mustang View Post
                Easy win, maybe?

Augie, Northern, and even SMSU in a good year are far from a guaranteed win for some of these smaller D1s. I guess that's what I'd always thought, in regards to SDSU anyway.
                Exactly right. Why risk a horrid loss or a black eye losing to a division lower. NSU has tried for years or atleast had, to get USD and SDSU but they wont do it. Would be some awesome crowds though.

Comment

When you look at next year and trying to project rotation players, it's going to be a young group at this point. Kenny Byers, Nick Dufault and Braedan Hanson will be juniors and the veterans of the group. Grant Kramer played well down the stretch and will probably be in the rotation again as a sophomore. Jake Phipps, Brian Dayman and Kaden Evans all redshirted this year and will compete for playing time.

Then there's the incoming class. Right now we have five committed, but I'm guessing a few more will be coming before the season, whether it's more high schoolers or a transfer. A few will probably get thrown into the rotation right away, but most will likely redshirt next year. Early favorites to play right away would probably be Cliff McCray and Sam Schwartz, since we'll need a lead guard to come from somewhere. I could see Logan Benson play immediately, as he has the toughness and the type of game that could earn his way into a role.

Looking forward to watching this group develop!
                  Add in local product Weston Baker Magrath, who will have junior eligibility and doesn't have to sit out a year for transfer rules. Probably slides right in as starting center.

Comment

Add in local product Weston Baker Magrath, who will have junior eligibility and doesn't have to sit out a year for transfer rules. Probably slides right in as starting center.
                    Probably...

What other 4 or 5 would start ahead of WBM?

Comment

Originally posted by Purple Mav Man View Post
                      What other 4 or 5 would start ahead of WBM?
                      Only thing I would say is that Braedan Hanson technically has starting experience in the system as the 5 man, though I think he may slide up to the 4 to Michael Lee's spot.

If it was me putting together the rotations today, I would start Schwartz or McCray / Dufault / Byers / Hanson / Baker Magrath with a bench group of Kramer, Dayman, Phipps and Benson competing for minutes

Comment

Madison Gehloff. Isn't this the gal from Waseca? I see that she signed with Southwest.

Comment

Originally posted by laker View Post
                          Madison Gehloff. Isn't this the gal from Waseca? I see that she signed with Southwest.
                          Great signings just keep coming!

Finished just shy of a 2,000/1,000 career with 1,983 points and 939 rebounds

Comment

Mustangs have a real good recruiting class coming in. We might have some growing pains this year, but i think we'll be better than expected. I think we will be a fun team to watch.

Comment

Originally posted by MrMustang View Post
                              Mustangs have a real good recruiting class coming in. We might have some growing pains this year, but i think we'll be better than expected. I think we will be a fun team to watch.
                              For sure. It's just restarting the 5 year clock.

Thankfully a lot of the conference will be down, so like you said we may be better than expected. YOUNG though. Byers, Hanson, Dufault and Baker Magrath will be the vets as juniors.

Comment

Saw some of the team in the gym recently. I don't know how good we'll be, but I think this will be a fun group to watch over the next two years.

Comment

Ad3

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X