Support The Site!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Question about the Regional Tournament

Sorry if I have missed this, but has there been any information released about how they will even be determining who gets into the regional this year?

Originally posted by MrAugustana View Post
    Sorry if I have missed this, but has there been any information released about how they will even be determining who gets into the regional this year?
    I've seen nothing but I wouldn't be surprised to have them seek and find a location that they can have any and all protocols they would need to provide the safest way of playing instead of just a top seed. I would think maybe parents only allowed and try to find a bigger size arena to provide more spacing. (No, im not really suggesting Wachs although it does fit that statement.)

Comment

Originally posted by NSU4LIFE View Post

I've seen nothing but I wouldn't be surprised to have them seek and find a location that they can have any and all protocols they would need to provide the safest way of playing instead of just a top seed. I would think maybe parents only allowed and try to find a bigger size arena to provide more spacing. (No, im not really suggesting Wachs although it does fit that statement.)
      I'm much more concerned about how the rankings and everything are going to be determined than attendance allowances or setup. At least, I am right now. If the Vikings are as beat up as it seems they are, I may not be quite as concerned or invested in the answer to that question as the season goes on.

Comment

Traditionally the regional tourney is held at the home site of the team in our region with the highest district rating. I am not sure about this year. However, they have announced that there will be only 6 teams in the region so the total NCAA D-2 tourney will only have 48 teams. 8 regions with 6 schools each. The #1 and #2 seeds will get first round byes meaning they would only have to win two to get to the Elite 8 where everyone else will still have to win 3.

Comment

I guess what I'm getting at is, with literally no cross conference games of any kind, if 3-4 teams from the nsic go 14-0 or 14-2 or 13-1 or 15-1 (depending on cancelations or whatever) how does the committee determine which schools from each conference are getting in? Unless it literally just ends up being the top two schools from each conference that make up the 6 teams that get into the regional or something. But like I said, with games being cancelled and everything, one team's 12-0 might not be as strong as another team's 13-1. Looking at that for 3 conferences seems like it will be a headache without any in-region, out of conference matchups to factor into the strength of schedule. But maybe it seems more complicated in my head than it really will be.

Comment

I guess what I'm getting at is, with literally no cross conference games of any kind, if 3-4 teams from the nsic go 14-0 or 14-2 or 13-1 or 15-1 (depending on cancelations or whatever) how does the committee determine which schools from each conference are getting in? Unless it literally just ends up being the top two schools from each conference that make up the 6 teams that get into the regional or something. But like I said, with games being cancelled and everything, one team's 12-0 might not be as strong as another team's 13-1. Looking at that for 3 conferences seems like it will be a headache without any in-region, out of conference matchups to factor into the strength of schedule. But maybe it seems more complicated in my head than it really will be.
            With no out of conference games, the option that seems most fair is to use the most recently completed Central Regional results to breakdown how many teams from each conference should make it to the Regional this year.

The last completed Regional was in 2019. Based on those results, the breakdown should be as follows:

MIAA- 3 teams
            GAC- 2 teams
            NSIC- 1 team

Now, you may say this is unfair and I agree, but I think we should allow an NSIC representative anyway.

Comment

But like I said, with games being cancelled and everything, one team's 12-0 might not be as strong as another team's 13-1. Looking at that for 3 conferences seems like it will be a headache without any in-region, out of conference matchups to factor into the strength of schedule. But maybe it seems more complicated in my head than it really will be.
              That's the same as every other year.

Comment

Originally posted by Stanger86 View Post

That's the same as every other year.
                I suppose that's true. I meant it more in terms of not having a true apples-to-apples comparison of conference games due to inconsistent number of games played, etc., but I guess that doesn't really change the fact that every year teams play a different number of non-conference games (in-region and out-of-region) prior to conference play starting. Not having cross-conference games this year though isn't the same as every other year.

Comment

Comment

Originally posted by NWHoops View Post

With no out of conference games, the option that seems most fair is to use the most recently completed Central Regional results to breakdown how many teams from each conference should make it to the Regional this year.

The last completed Regional was in 2019. Based on those results, the breakdown should be as follows:

MIAA- 3 teams
                    GAC- 2 teams
                    NSIC- 1 team

Now, you may say this is unfair and I agree, but I think we should allow an NSIC representative anyway.
                    I've seen no objections to my proposal. Yea verily, it shall be.

Comment

FWIW, from what I've seen, the only thing is that there will be 48 teams. It wasn't broken down by bids per region from what I saw anywhere, so for regions where conferences have chosen to bag the season due to COVID, I wonder if some regions will still get 8 while others just get 4.

Comment

Originally posted by TSU_Mike59 View Post
                        FWIW, from what I've seen, the only thing is that there will be 48 teams. It wasn't broken down by bids per region from what I saw anywhere, so for regions where conferences have chosen to bag the season due to COVID, I wonder if some regions will still get 8 while others just get 4.
                        I think the MEC will be the only conference participating in the Atlantic Region.

Comment

Doesn't look like the Sanford Pentagon will be a hosting option. They are now hosting the Summit League tournament that weekend.

Comment

I think it would be fair to give us 8, especially with all three leagues playing. I hope you are right, that even though they cut it to 48 that the regions won't have the same number.

Comment

Originally posted by NWHoops View Post

I've seen no objections to my proposal. Yea verily, it shall be.
                              Three can play this game (I have Bentley the cat in my lap and he agrees). In the spirit of participation trophies, six from the NSIC.

Comment

Ad3

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X