Support The Site!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• NSIC - Week 3

Ugh. No USF-WSU men's games this weekend.

https://winonastatewarriors.com/news...cancelled.aspx
    4x 'Crackerjack' NAIA National Champions - 1996, 2006, 2008, 2009
    2016 NSIC Champions
    🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑

Originally posted by Otis Day View Post
    Ugh. No USF-WSU men's games this weekend.

https://winonastatewarriors.com/news...cancelled.aspx
    Damn. This is unfortunate. WSU has only gotten one game in thus far. Tough stuff.

Comment

Originally posted by wsuguy87 View Post

Damn. This is unfortunate. WSU has only gotten one game in thus far. Tough stuff.

Comment

Comment

I hadn't heard about the knee issue. That sucks. Here's hoping we can get some games in.

Comment

I think the NSIC (and any conference who did similar) made a mistake by not starting in November. Anyone paying attention could see the COVID situation was not going to be better by January so why wait that long to start. If it was a safety issue then just cancel the season, not delay it. Now NSIC teams find themselves in a similar position to B10 football teams. They started so late that there's not really time to makeup cancelled games (which there will inevitably be cancelled games) and quality teams may not meet the minimum threshold for the Regional. Additionally there will be questions of fairness in comparing teams that play 20+ games as opposed to teams that play 10 or 12 games similar to what Ohio St. faced in the football playoff.

Comment

Originally posted by NWHoops View Post

I think the NSIC (and any conference who did similar) made a mistake by not starting in November. Anyone paying attention could see the COVID situation was not going to be better by January so why wait that long to start. If it was a safety issue then just cancel the season, not delay it. Now NSIC teams find themselves in a similar position to B10 football teams. They started so late that there's not really time to makeup cancelled games (which there will inevitably be cancelled games) and quality teams may not meet the minimum threshold for the Regional. Additionally there will be questions of fairness in comparing teams that play 20+ games as opposed to teams that play 10 or 12 games similar to what Ohio St. faced in the football playoff.
              100% agree with this and said it was a mistake at the time. If they had started in November it would have given them a cushion to reschedule games or if you can't at least you would still have enough games played. If it really is an issue of it not being safe to play, then we probably shouldn't be playing at all.

Comment

Originally posted by NWHoops View Post

amen. Of course Minnesota is runn by Commis so we have mismanaged this whole thing. Staring on time would have allowed for contingencies to be built into the schedule but that would have made sense.!

Comment

Wonder how many games will be affected by weather.

Comment

Originally posted by MrMustang View Post

amen. Of course Minnesota is runn by Commis so we have mismanaged this whole thing. Staring on time would have allowed for contingencies to be built into the schedule but that would have made sense.!
                    Back in August, a local Bemidji person was promoting youth sports providing reasonable rational for their return. A couple local academic elites shamed him and I responded with the article link below. The data trends (fatalities in particular) continue (see today's report especially pages 22 & 29 just as they were in August) with ZERO COVID-19 related deaths out of an estimated 1,085,925 Minnesota young people ages 5-19 (20% of the state's population). Good news for our youth.

https://www.bemidjipioneer.com/opini...-conversations

https://www.health.state.mn.us/disea...idweekly02.pdf (I couldn't get this to link properly)

For your consideration. Karl

Comment

Originally posted by Stanger86 View Post
                      Wonder how many games will be affected by weather.
                      How is it out west? At 4 AM it was warm and calm. At 6:45 it was windy and raining. At 10:15 it was snowing. Now it is cloudy but no precip. I'm more worried about the high winds that are predicted. I can stay home but I'd like to have electricity.

Comment

Originally posted by MrMustang View Post

Originally posted by CoachSalscheider View Post

Back in August, a local Bemidji person was promoting youth sports providing reasonable rational for their return. A couple local academic elites shamed him and I responded with the article link below. The data trends (fatalities in particular) continue (see today's report especially pages 22 & 29 just as they were in August) with ZERO COVID-19 related deaths out of an estimated 1,085,925 Minnesota young people ages 5-19 (20% of the state's population). Good news for our youth.

https://www.bemidjipioneer.com/opini...-conversations

https://www.health.state.mn.us/disea...idweekly02.pdf (I couldn't get this to link properly)

For your consideration. Karl
                        FWIW, I'm not arguing in favor or against playing. Death rates are low among youth but we still don't know long-term effects and there are some horror stories about effects on youth going on still 5-6 months after contracting COVID (how prevalent that is, I'm not sure). However, I don't want to start a political conversation either.

My point, which seems to be agreed upon by many, is that saying your starting the season in January for safety reasons makes no sense. As with most viruses, the worst months are December-February. If you are truly worried about safety then just don't play the season. Starting earlier allows you to get 5 or 6 games in before the Winter Break and provide some cushion after the break to makeup games. Most everyone predicted cases were going to get worse and worse through the winter until the weather warmed up and people could get outside. Doesn't make much sense to start the season in the middle of that and right after the holidays when there have been large, indoor gatherings. Unfortunately, I think it's just a lot of CYA going on. By saying you have these plans to make things "safer" it provides some cover, regardless of whether it actually makes it safer or not.

Comment

Originally posted by laker View Post

How is it out west? At 4 AM it was warm and calm. At 6:45 it was windy and raining. At 10:15 it was snowing. Now it is cloudy but no precip. I'm more worried about the high winds that are predicted. I can stay home but I'd like to have electricity.

Comment

The closings have been getting closer to home, Most of the Marshall area. MACCRAY in Clara City, Redwood Falls, Sleepy Eye and now Renville County West. Nothing on BOLD yet so BLHS can probably make it through the school day- but GFW called off evening activities. Not looking forward to do more shoveling.

Comment

No precipitation in Aberdeen, but if this wind doesn't calm down my grill might end up in Mankato by the end of the day!

Comment

Ad3

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X