• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Stanger86
    replied
    Re: NWMSU Bearcats 2019-2020

Originally posted by Moorhead123 View Post
    Hearing rumor that Moorhead may get first hand look at Nw Missouri st. this year in early November. Should be good for young dragons to get early experience against such quality team.
    Doesn't look like it

https://bearcatsports.com/schedule.aspx?path=mbball

Leave a comment:

• Moorhead123
    replied

Originally posted by NWHoops View Post
    I seriously doubt Mac is taking anyone on with serious baggage. Womack as a player is what we could use- a forward who can play post defense and get some boards. How his personality would fit I have no idea.

There have been many good players who couldn't get off the bench and found success elsewhere because of personality and attitude. 5-6 years ago NW had a very talented kid who could score but played no defense and pouted due to no playing time. He ended up transferring to Iowa St. and was the 6th man for a Top 25 team there but he couldn't get off the bench here due to those other aspects. That's a glaring example but there are others which leads me to believe Mac is not going to bring someone in who will be a headache and cause distractions.
    Hearing rumor that Moorhead may get first hand look at Nw Missouri st. this year in early November. Should be good for young dragons to get early experience against such quality team.

Leave a comment:

• NWHoops
    replied

Originally posted by libertybearcat View Post
    Good point! I'd imagine all of them have some level of baggage, some with more than others. Some coaches deal better with handling that baggage than others. I think some team cultures are able to handle that incoming baggage too.
    I seriously doubt Mac is taking anyone on with serious baggage. Womack as a player is what we could use- a forward who can play post defense and get some boards. How his personality would fit I have no idea.

There have been many good players who couldn't get off the bench and found success elsewhere because of personality and attitude. 5-6 years ago NW had a very talented kid who could score but played no defense and pouted due to no playing time. He ended up transferring to Iowa St. and was the 6th man for a Top 25 team there but he couldn't get off the bench here due to those other aspects. That's a glaring example but there are others which leads me to believe Mac is not going to bring someone in who will be a headache and cause distractions.

Leave a comment:

• libertybearcat
    replied

Originally posted by Moorhead123 View Post
    Plenty of guys still available...maybe also plenty of questions on the baggage that may come with a number of them, however.
    Good point! I'd imagine all of them have some level of baggage, some with more than others. Some coaches deal better with handling that baggage than others. I think some team cultures are able to handle that incoming baggage too.

Leave a comment:

• Moorhead123
    replied

Originally posted by libertybearcat View Post
    Hmm, interesting. Wonder if his thinking 1-2 more commits for the coming year is due to the new transfer portal opening up more of those opportunities. The numbers in there are ridiculous, wonder how many will end up falling to D2?
    Plenty of guys still available...maybe also plenty of questions on the baggage that may come with a number of them, however.

Leave a comment:

• libertybearcat
    replied

Originally posted by LeoTheLion View Post
    I have it on good authority that Coach McCollum extended an offer to Lindenwood Transfer Diego Womack when he got his release after the coaching change at Lindenwood.
    Hmm, interesting. Wonder if his thinking 1-2 more commits for the coming year is due to the new transfer portal opening up more of those opportunities. The numbers in there are ridiculous, wonder how many will end up falling to D2?

Leave a comment:

• LeoTheLion
    replied

I have it on good authority that Coach McCollum extended an offer to Lindenwood Transfer Diego Womack when he got his release after the coaching change at Lindenwood.

Leave a comment:

• Bearcat-Hawkeye
    replied

An article on the state of the Northwest basketball program.

http://www.maryvilleforum.com/sports...dfe189e6a.html

I thought it was interesting that Coach McCollum indicated that he'd like to get 1-2 more commits for this coming year. I'd think that there would be slim pickings out there.

Leave a comment:

• Alfred33
    replied

Originally posted by Alfred33 View Post
    Just looking around and on Verbal commits it looks like NW also has an offer out to another 6'7" kid, Spencer Jones from Bishop Miege in Kansas. Averaged 17 points and nearly 8 rebounds last season.

https://www.verbalcommits.com/players/spencer-jones-ks
    http://www.hudl.com/profile/10609906/Spencer-Jones
    Not that it relates to the Bearcats now, but I was looking for an update on this kid... appears he committed to Stanford. Good for him! He must be smart too.

Leave a comment:

• 86Catillac
    replied

Leave a comment:

• Alfred33
    replied

At least we know they don't like us for our fancy gym and video scoreboard. ;)

Leave a comment:

• 86Catillac
    replied

Leave a comment:

• Alfred33
    replied

Originally posted by Purple Mav Man View Post
    I thought kids grew out of shooting it from their chest in HS?? Looks like he needs to get much stronger and much quicker. But he can shoot.
    I would imagine he'll be a strong candidate for a redshirt year with everything the Bearcats have coming back. He can definitely score it from NBA deep... it's funny how not that long ago, those would have been considered bad shots. I suppose if he shot a low percentage they still would be, but he obviously had the green light!

Leave a comment:

• Purple Mav Man
    replied

Nice... Thank you! The kid looks like he has some serious range (good grief!) and a quick release.
    https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=j_y_nJZtDlo
    I thought kids grew out of shooting it from their chest in HS?? Looks like he needs to get much stronger and much quicker. But he can shoot.

Leave a comment:

• Taxman
    replied

Originally posted by NWHoops View Post
    Luke Waters also redshirted and is in that 6'7 range. Haven't heard much about him from practices but in warm-ups he seemed to move well for his size and had a decent looking shot. Who knows how that will apply to games...
    Yes, I'm definitely interested to see what he's all about. I didn't think he looked all that impressive (what can you really tell from warm-ups though), but his high school career was! All time leading scorer at Olathe Northwest, ahead of guys like Shavon Shields (Nebraska) and Willie Cauley-Stein (Kentucky, Sacramento Kings), so he must have some ability to put the ball in the basket. I do know that he is good at pulling arrows from his quiver and shooting them into the crowd when a teammate makes a 3 pointer. ;)
    I saw him play some in HS. Good player. Good basketball IQ. Could play and shoot inside/outside. Good FT shooter in HS. The player his game is most similar to would be Hawkins. Luke probably has more handle but a tad shorter. But not saying in any way he has that ceiling. He is listed as a guard which is interesting. Considering him even a wing in HS would've been a stretch imo. His SR year, ONW played a lot like NW did this year with the 5 starters getting most of the minutes and only a sub or 2 coming off the bench in most games. All were SRs. ONW was methodic running mostly entirely set plays and didn't allow for much creativity whereas NW has more freedom of movement.

Leave a comment:

Ad3

Collapse
Working...
X