Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Alfred33
    replied
    Bearcats were dominant today on their way to an 83-57 victory over Fort Hays. They really shared the ball well today having 5 guys reach double figures. Trevor Hudgins became the first Bearcat to ever record a triple double. Up 36 at one point, it was kind of nice to have a relaxing Saturday afternoon for a change.

Leave a comment:

• Taxman
    replied
    Originally posted by Thepeman View Post

What is the scoop on Dreamer? Noticed he was not suited.
    Back is what I was told.

Leave a comment:

• Thepeman
    replied
    What is the scoop on Dreamer? Noticed he was not suited.

Leave a comment:

• NWFanatic
    replied

Leave a comment:

• Alfred33
    replied
    Originally posted by NWFanatic View Post
    Hopefully the upcoming renovation of tired old Lamkin will help a little in keeping Ben at least until Hutch & Diego graduate

Leave a comment:

• NWFanatic
    replied
    Hopefully the upcoming renovation of tired old Lamkin will help a little in keeping Ben at least until Hutch & Diego graduate

Leave a comment:

• NWFanatic
    replied

Leave a comment:

• Alfred33
    replied
    The non-money side of it is that these guys are ultra competitive. If you've ever stepped on a court and played against Ben in anything, you'd know that's true. The challenge of succeeding at the highest levels can also be enticing. Really, for him, what more can he do at Northwest? The only direction he can go is down here. If he has those kind of D1 asperations, he probably needs to do it while riding this wave. He's obviously recruited his system very well at NW... replacing Pitts with Hudgens like it was a wash is pretty amazing if you think about it. Will he be able to do that again in a couple of years at the PG position? If his next wave of players aren't as good and they take a step back, his star doesn't look quite as bright. But hey, if his competitive juices are fulfilled in keeping Northwest at or near the top of the MIAA and D2, then yay for us... we won't need to hire a new coach for a very long time.

Leave a comment:

• NWFanatic
    replied

Leave a comment:

• MrAugustana
    replied
    Actually, I could be mistaken, but I believe I heard back when he was first rumored to be taking the job that the pay increase really wasn't all that significant, if much at all when factoring in some of the fringe benefits at Northern. It was more of an opportunity increase. Or maybe he just didn't like being in Aberdeen anymore. ;)

Leave a comment:

• Purple Mav Man
    replied
    Originally posted by DapperDan View Post

The jump from D2 to a Power Five is pretty extreme and virtually unheard of. Think more along the lines of a move to a low major like Sather. Despite the comfort of a dominant program many, probably most, coaches relish the challenge (and the bigger paycheck).

Leave a comment:

• Randy
    replied
    Originally posted by libertybearcat View Post
    Lots of factors for Ben to consider. Lower level D1's are the most likely suitors for him, but with his pay at NW, I'm not sure the money it that much more. I recall last year some NW fans thinking he was going to get the Nebraska job. D2 coaches hardly ever make the D2 to P5 move. Kim Anderson did mainly due to his connection to Norm Stewart and while KA is an excellent coach, he flamed out making that big of a jump.

If you make the move to a low level D1, are you going into a good situation where the coach moved up or a bad situation. In the good situation and you maintain that success, maybe a little more do you get the credit, or are you benefiting from the situation you were left from the previous coach. Go to a bad situation, how long do you have to turn it around? Rumors were UMKC wanted Ben last year...that place is a dumpster fire, I'd be surprised if anybody can win there.

Mix in NW is his alma mater, Maryville is a great place to raise a family and from all accounts he loves it there...I'd wager it will take a special situation elsewhere for him to leave.
    It's up to him. Yes, the first job he would have to take would probably not be much of a pay increase but it's necessary if he wants to make Power 5 money in the future. Brian Kelly is the blue print for going from D2 to Power 5. I'm guessing Central Michigan wasn't a huge pay increase. Cincinnati probably was a nice raise and now he's at Notre Dame.

Leave a comment:

• libertybearcat
    replied
    Lots of factors for Ben to consider. Lower level D1's are the most likely suitors for him, but with his pay at NW, I'm not sure the money it that much more. I recall last year some NW fans thinking he was going to get the Nebraska job. D2 coaches hardly ever make the D2 to P5 move. Kim Anderson did mainly due to his connection to Norm Stewart and while KA is an excellent coach, he flamed out making that big of a jump.

If you make the move to a low level D1, are you going into a good situation where the coach moved up or a bad situation. In the good situation and you maintain that success, maybe a little more do you get the credit, or are you benefiting from the situation you were left from the previous coach. Go to a bad situation, how long do you have to turn it around? Rumors were UMKC wanted Ben last year...that place is a dumpster fire, I'd be surprised if anybody can win there.

Mix in NW is his alma mater, Maryville is a great place to raise a family and from all accounts he loves it there...I'd wager it will take a special situation elsewhere for him to leave.

Leave a comment:

• MrAugustana
    replied
    Originally posted by DapperDan View Post

Is the move-up stalled?
    It's funny, I realized that would be the implication a few seconds after I posted it but didn't feel like jumping back in to edit.

I guess my thought is that even if he gets a D1 gig, there may be a decent likelihood he would end up in a different conference than Augie would.

But I have heard nothing about timelines stalling, just to clarify.

Leave a comment:

• DapperDan
    replied
    Originally posted by MrAugustana View Post

Isn't the record between us (at least recently) just 2-3? With both of our wins coming after that 2015 game you're referring to? Am I forgetting a game?

That being said, yes, we do need to get our house in order again. No denying that. But there are other teams currently living in my head that are not NWMSU. I don't think about you guys a ton other than being noticeably surprised that UCM picked you off. But as I commented in the beginning of the year, I was as complimentary of the Bearcats as anyone after the Duke game. McCollum is a good coach. I'm surprised he hasn't gotten a D1 job yet, and I won't complain when he does.
    Is the move-up stalled?

Leave a comment:

Ad3

Collapse
Working...
X