Collapse

Support The Site!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

That was fun... Hudgins was fantastic! We could've easily lost by 25, so to see them fight to the end like that and believe that they could get it done was pretty exciting. It's hard to be critical of anything... it's Duke for goodness sakes! Their length and athleticism was obvious in comparison. They got several offensive boards and second chance points just by just tipping it to themselves until they could control it... what do you do? Diego, as good an athlete as he is, can't jump over their guys like he can at this level... didn't stop him from trying though. I like the mentality! He's going to do some exciting things this year. Not that he wouldn't be, but Coach K was very gracious and complimentary in the post game. Mentioned a few players by name, hinted that if we win a National Championship again, Hudgins should explore going pro so he didn't have to face him next year... Good stuff. I've always hated Duke, but it's cool that they do this. It's hard to beat that experience for these kids.
    Last edited by Alfred33; 10-28-2019, 01:57 PM.

Comment

Big win if you can call these early games big wins. But beating a very good Southern Naz. team by a score of 100 - 88, tonight in St. Joseph. The Bearcats were led by Ryan Hawkins with 44, Trevor Hudgins had a very quiet 19. 3 other players had 11. Good win and some very good early competition.

Comment

Hawkins set the program single game scoring record in the game tonight.

Comment

The starting five for NW is sooo good and I like the true freshman Dreamer off the bench. But NW needs to figure out the 7th and 8th guy in the rotation because six deep isn't going to cut it. The Hudgins-Hawkins combo is deadly, maybe the best 1-2 punch in D2. This team will miss Finley though, his hustle and energy provided a spark. Plus he could eat minutes and give other guys a rest. If anyone gets hurt or in foul trouble, this team is in trouble.

Comment

Last edited by NWFanatic; 11-03-2019, 12:47 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Devin Albertson View Post
              The starting five for NW is sooo good and I like the true freshman Dreamer off the bench. But NW needs to figure out the 7th and 8th guy in the rotation because six deep isn't going to cut it. The Hudgins-Hawkins combo is deadly, maybe the best 1-2 punch in D2. This team will miss Finley though, his hustle and energy provided a spark. Plus he could eat minutes and give other guys a rest. If anyone gets hurt or in foul trouble, this team is in trouble.

Comment

Last year the Bearcats went 7 deep and could go 8 deep. I have no idea who the 7th and 8th guys are this year. Maybe R-FR Luke Waters, maybe they pull a redshirt off one of the other freshman.

Comment

I've heard they'll play more guys once they get into the season more but considering how early it is, the competition level, and Finley's injury they are only going with 6 for now. I'm sure Waters will play some and hopefully one of the freshman can give them 10 minutes a game or so.

It is definitely different than years past with Finley's injury. With him they would play 7 but that 7th or 8th hasn't stood out yet enough for Mac to play them.

Comment

Agreed... last year the Bearcats were mostly only 6 to 7, maybe 8 occasionally, deep for the majority of the season. When it mattered, it was closer to the 6 than the 8. We were fortunate that the injury bug didn't hit too hard, although, it kind of got to us during the post season. We were fortunate that our injured were able to battle through it. I still didn't think Joey was going to be effective after he went down. I was wrong.... probably not the first time. As long as we don't have any more injuries, we can withstand a lot, just because of the pace we tend to play. Foul trouble in key positions is an issue, but it is for everyone. It'd be great to be able to run 8 or 9 deep, but as we proved last year, there is more than one way to skin a cat. That's probably a bad analogy as a Cat fan. I imagine when we start seeing some lesser teams, we'll start to see what we have in some of these other guys and give them some game time to develop a role... could be a case where Ben didn't want to throw them to the wolves right away.
                    Last edited by Alfred33; 11-04-2019, 12:51 PM.

Comment

I guess my concern, if I have one, would be the experience of the depth will be a lot different, as this year it's probably going to come from freshman and a RS freshman. And unlike last year with Dougherty, the depth won't include a bigger guy to come in and bang on defense when Hawkins would get in foul trouble. Dougherty coming in and absorbing the physicality of a Cam Martin for 10 minutes has got to be different than doing it after having already been on the court for 20. There just aren't really any big bodies on the bench now that he has had to move into the lineup. I'm sure they will figure it out without my help though.

Comment

Final last night from Hillyard Classis NW 60 Mn Crookston 52

Comment

Congrats to Mac & the Boys...they just set a new NWMSU & MIAA record with their 43rd win in a row(92-40 over St Mary University at home).

Comment

William Jewell in town Thursday. The Cardinals just beat UCM on Sunday. Dougherty is going to be out for a few weeks with an ankle injury. Depth is already being challenged early on.

Comment

Originally posted by Devin Albertson View Post
                              William Jewell in town Thursday. The Cardinals just beat UCM on Sunday. Dougherty is going to be out for a few weeks with an ankle injury. Depth is already being challenged early on.
                              Only won by 43. Something tells me depth is fine.

Comment

#44 was NW 102 WJC 59...NW was 15-29 on treys
                                Last edited by NWFanatic; 11-27-2019, 08:45 PM.

Comment

Ad3

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X