Support The Site!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• MIAA--Week 10

On to Week 10! Toughest week on the schedule--Lincoln. They have 3 road games. At UCO on Tues, at MSSU on Thurs and at Pitt St. on Sat. Lincoln is fighting to stay in the top 4 in the conference and is coming off a pretty strong week of play. NWMS is at MSSU and is at home against MW. Another strong week could put them in a great position to win their 8th straight conference title. I think it will interesting to see if MO West can have a good showing at NWMS on Sat. They have a ton of games left in Feb(10 games left). It is too bad that they only have one game this week and could possibly spread these games out a little better. I think Washburn will be interesting to watch too. They get fans back (800 or 20% capacity) in Lee Arena but they have lost 2 or their last 3. Hopefully, they an get two of their key contributors back for a stretch run with 6 of their last 8 being at home.

Congrats to NW on their 84-74 win at Joplin-their 15 straight road wins is tops in D2
    Hawkins had 33 pts for NW & Martin had 30 for MSSU

Comment

Just for fun ... but, true. Gotta love this NW vs MSSU gameday pic posted on the NW website link below with the guy sitting in the top row of the bleachers at MSSU's Leggett and Platt Arena doing his utmost to do his part with his extreme social distancing while the rest of the fan's are closer to courtside during this NW vs MSSU game last night. Closer look at this guy, tho, and you can see he is loving taking advantage of the attendance restrictions imposed at MIAA games by isolating himself all the way up into the rafters distancing himself comfortably enjoying the game while enjoying a bottle ... I said bottle ... of beer. This guy has never enjoyed MSSU basketball more with all the Covid restrictions put in place!

Hawkins with 33 pts for NW ... Cam with 30 pts for MSSU. What do, we or they, do without these guys next season?

https://bearcatsports.com/news/2021/...ern-84-74.aspx
      Last edited by ZubCat81; 02-02-2021, 11:52 PM.

Comment

Comment

It will be interesting to see what some of these guys do next year. It would be great if a lot of these guys come back but there is money to be made overseas for some of them and the possibility of grad transferring and playing D-1. Hawkins has already redshirted so he would be back for a 6th year. Cam has only been in college for four years so depending on where he is academically a 5th year might be enticing for him. Whatever they decide, Hawkins and Martin are tremendous and have had great careers.

Comment

Exactly... I've heard some rumblings that Hawkins has said he wants to come back. Of course, that could just be fan talk. If they have aspirations to do so, I think it would be hard to put off the opportunity to play for money overseas. If they don't and just plan on going to work after school, then why not enjoy college experience for another year if they desire to? It'll be interesting to see who takes advantage of this "free" year.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but all winter athletes are granted the extra year, right? Will there be trickle down to the underclassman in the coming years choosing to use the extra year of eligibility... what affect that might have on scholarships and recruiting efforts? Do coaches recruit their player to stay and pass on a hs kid? There will be decisions to be made on all fronts.

Comment

All winter sports get an extra year. Hard to tell another guy to stay an extra year and pass on a guy who could be in the program for 4 or 5 years....on the other hand hard to not tell your guy who already is part of your team not to stay for another year. Lots of decisions to make as coaches.
              I know we are in a basketball forum but I think it is even harder on your spring sport coaches and athletes too...no one competed last year and the athletes that were sophomores or juniors (juniors and seniors this year) are trying to either get recruited or sign this year (most seniors last year would have already had offers). Coaches are looking at kids abilities and production from around two years ago.

Comment

Comment

and Diego and Luke and Wes and Bryon
                  Last edited by NWFanatic; 02-03-2021, 04:25 PM.

Comment

obviously NW and some absolute studs are a different situation with their talent and ability but sometimes programs move in different directions or see something else and also not every graduating senior is someone coaches want to keep around...

Comment

Well, Cooper was an All-American and we didn't know how to replace him but heard the RSFR (Pitts) could be pretty good. That RSFR turned out to be the best player in program history. We thought there would be no way to replace him. Now Hudgins is on pace to break Pitts' records. Maybe the next guy will be even better????

Comment

Comment

No it will need to be in the next recruiting class with a redshirt year or the following recruiting class.

Comment

Comment

They'll figure it out. I know the guys you listed are special, but NW has had really good point guards more years than they haven't... Shaky Harrington, Kareem Preston, Scott Fleming, Kelvin Parker.... Let's see how Isaiah Jackson develops with 2 years of going against Diego and Trevor and Ben riding him in practice everyday.
                              Last edited by Alfred33; 02-04-2021, 07:45 AM. Reason: Apologizing for turning this into a Northwest thread.�

Comment

Ad3

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X