Collapse

Support The Site!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

As far as the MIAA is concerned, NWMS is obviously a lock and with the Northern State loss and NWMS's OT win over Washburn, I think NWMS will be the #1 seed in the Regional regardless of what they do in the conference tourney. I'm biased but I think Washburn is a lock to get in and is the MIAA's 2nd representative. They still have a little work to do but it shouldn't take much more to get them in. I feel like Missouri Southern will be in if they make a run in the conference tourney. I think they get in if they win 2 and get to the finals in the conf. tourney. An early exit by MSSU will give the MIAA in my opinion only 2 bids unless another team in the MIAA wins the conference tourney.

Comment

Originally posted by cat fan View Post

At the end of the week, Northern will be in the regional regardless of what they do in the NSIC tourney.

Moorhead's position is pretty strong, but they probably want to win one game in the tourney just to make it rock solid. A loss to Mankato in round 1 might cause some doubts, and could put them at risk if we get an unexpected outcome in the tournament (for instance, a Minot St championship and auto-bid).

For everyone in the NSIC South, I think two wins in the tourney are needed to secure a spot, and even that may not be enough in some cases.
      I agree with all of this but I tend to believe Moorhead is more of a lock than not at this point.

I'm personally excited to see if Northern and Moorhead are actually good enough to be "locks" or if they just spent 7 weeks beating up on terrible teams. I'm hoping it's the latter but I'm willing to hear objections. Minot lost to SMSU twice!! Moorhead got swept by Augie (who didn't have LeBrun for most of the weekend)!! Is the North a fraud? Is the South just a bunch of roughly equal, slightly above average, teams who beat up on each other?

Comment

Originally posted by Augieholic View Post

I agree with all of this but I tend to believe Moorhead is more of a lock than not at this point.

I'm personally excited to see if Northern and Moorhead are actually good enough to be "locks" or if they just spent 7 weeks beating up on terrible teams. I'm hoping it's the latter but I'm willing to hear objections. Minot lost to SMSU twice!! Moorhead got swept by Augie (who didn't have LeBrun for most of the weekend)!! Is the North a fraud? Is the South just a bunch of roughly equal, slightly above average, teams who beat up on each other?
        Well, I mean nothing can happen in this conference tourney but, I mean Northern did sweep the South champion so...

Comment

Originally posted by Btech#3 View Post
          As far as the MIAA is concerned, NWMS is obviously a lock and with the Northern State loss and NWMS's OT win over Washburn, I think NWMS will be the #1 seed in the Regional regardless of what they do in the conference tourney. I'm biased but I think Washburn is a lock to get in and is the MIAA's 2nd representative. They still have a little work to do but it shouldn't take much more to get them in. I feel like Missouri Southern will be in if they make a run in the conference tourney. I think they get in if they win 2 and get to the finals in the conf. tourney. An early exit by MSSU will give the MIAA in my opinion only 2 bids unless another team in the MIAA wins the conference tourney.
          Total speculation with zero inside knowledge: there will be every attempt made to award three bids from each conference. Upsets in the conference tournaments could alter that, but assuming one of the top two teams in each conference wins their tournament it would take something pretty extraordinary to say a fourth place team in the NSIC is better than the third place team in the MIAA with no cross-conference games to measure against.

IMO, Northern State and Northwest are in for sure, Moorhead is almost definitely in (the worst they can do is 0-1 and several other teams would have to get really hot to knock them out of the top 6), Washburn is in barring a complete collapse. Everybody else is playing for one of two spots.

Comment

Originally posted by GrifFan View Post

Total speculation with zero inside knowledge: there will be every attempt made to award three bids from each conference. Upsets in the conference tournaments could alter that, but assuming one of the top two teams in each conference wins their tournament it would take something pretty extraordinary to say a fourth place team in the NSIC is better than the third place team in the MIAA with no cross-conference games to measure against.

IMO, Northern State and Northwest are in for sure, Moorhead is almost definitely in (the worst they can do is 0-1 and several other teams would have to get really hot to knock them out of the top 6), Washburn is in barring a complete collapse. Everybody else is playing for one of two spots.
            Totally agree with this view / prediction. Also feel each league should get three bids this year instead of a 4/2 scenario.

Would love a seeding scenario where Northwest and Northern are 1 and 2, with perhaps Washburn 3 and Moorhead 4th. Would be great to have NSIC vs MIAA in each semifinal if the seeding held true to form. Put the third MIAA team at fifth to play Moorhead, and the sixth seed goes to another NSIC team to face Washburn in round one.

Comment

I agree Wizard. In a year when everyone just played conference games, I think each conference should get 3 in especially since there only two teams with great records (NWMS & Northern State) and two teams with good records (Moorhead and Wash). After that, it seems that the next best team in each conference should get in. I think it would be hard to say that the NSIC gets 4 in or the MIAA gets 4 in this year unless each conference had 4 teams that had really good records. I hope they set it up where the conferences go head to head in most games.

Comment

Everyone here seems to be forgetting one very important thing...Mankato has the perpetual automatic bid into the regional.

Comment

Probably close to a lock, but imagine this scenario:

Assume the NSIC gets 3 entrants.

Augie plays great and beats Northern in round 1, but Northern is going to get a bid regardless. One spot gone.

Moorhead loses to Mankato and is eliminated quickly.

Augie also wins round 2 to advance to the championship, but it loses there to someone in the other side of the bracket that ISN'T Moorhead (Wayne, St Cloud, Mankato). The conference tourney champ grabs spot #2.

For the final spot, who do you take, Moorhead or Augie? Remember that Augie beat Moorhead twice at the start of the year, and Moorhead's most impressive win (Northern) no longer looks so impressive since Augie theoretically just replicated it.

The takeaway: Moorhead fans really gotta cheer for Northern on Thursday, even if they find it extremely distasteful to do so..

Comment

Originally posted by Thunder View Post
                    Everyone here seems to be forgetting one very important thing...Mankato has the perpetual automatic bid into the regional.

Comment

Augie plays great and beats Northern in round 1, but Northern is going to get a bid regardless. One spot gone.

Augie also wins round 2 to advance to the championship, but it loses there to someone in the other side of the bracket that ISN'T Moorhead (Wayne, St Cloud, Mankato). The conference tourney champ grabs spot #2.

For the final spot, who do you take, Moorhead or Augie? Remember that Augie beat Moorhead twice at the start of the year, and Moorhead's most impressive win (Northern) no longer looks so impressive since Augie theoretically just replicated it.

The takeaway: Moorhead fans really gotta cheer for Northern on Thursday, even if they find it extremely distasteful to do so..
                      Definitely some truth in what you say. Would be curious if committee gives any different weighting to those early so-called non-conference games from first week of season or not. Nsu4life and I are getting together to cheer on our favorite nsu team on Thursday. I think in the end (unless something crazy happens in nsic tournament) Moorhead in really good shape regardless of Mankato game. I believe road win at northern will make it almost impossible for committee to keep Moorhead out. We will see...Moorhead strings some wins together in nsic tournament and there will be no debate.

Comment

Plausible. I love a well thought out hypothetical.

/looks around, whispers quietly/

Unless someone besides Washburn or NWMo wins the MIAA Tourney I think the Regional will be 4 NSIC teams and 2 MIAA teams.

Comment

Plausible. I love a well thought out hypothetical.

/looks around, whispers quietly/

Unless someone besides Washburn or NWMo wins the MIAA Tourney I think the Regional will be 4 NSIC teams and 2 MIAA teams.

Comment

Originally posted by Moorhead123 View Post

Definitely some truth in what you say. Would be curious if committee gives any different weighting to those early so-called non-conference games from first week of season or not. Nsu4life and I are getting together to cheer on our favorite nsu team on Thursday. I think in the end (unless something crazy happens in nsic tournament) Moorhead in really good shape regardless of Mankato game. I believe road win at northern will make it almost impossible for committee to keep Moorhead out. We will see...Moorhead strings some wins together in nsic tournament and there will be no debate.

Comment

Last edited by Moorhead123; 02-22-2021, 08:23 PM.

Comment

In order to do that, they will have to get past Washburn in the semi's.

Comment

Ad3

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X