Support The Site!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Purple Mav Man View Post

Since most of those are too ignorant to realize what kind of talent D2 has (coaches and players) that is an easy call for most. They want the D1 assistant. Because, D1.
    Yuuuup.

Comment

Did Mac just call timeout so Flagler could get a sub in the game?

Comment

Originally posted by NWFanatic View Post
        Did Mac just call timeout so Flagler could get a sub in the game?

Comment

Originally posted by MrAugustana View Post
          I know I'm jumping the gun here, but I'm going to ask a serious question. Let's say McCollum wins this National Championship (his third in the past four years that have actually had tournaments played). And let's reflect on this info piece, pulled from the NWMSU website and updated with what would include this season's numbers if they win it all this year:

If that happens and the Bearcats win the whole thing... how the crap does this guy not get a legitimate D1 offer somewhere? I mean, why even be a Division II head coach if this level of success won't get you to the next level?

I get it, Bearcat fans will all say, "Maybe he doesn't want to leave Maryville, his family is happy here, he loves this school and program, etc." I get all of that. But let's be real: deep down in their hearts, I'm willing to bet almost every coach wants to work his way to whatever the next level is. It's what competitors do. It's what all (or at least most) of us want to do at our own jobs.

I also know Bearcat fans will say, "He just hasn't gotten a D1 opportunity that appeals to him so why take a crappy job?, etc." and I get that too. You don't want to just take some low-level, nobody-is-gonna-win-here type of job and struggle for 3-5 years and then get fired and have to go looking for a worsesome
          if i were a low major looking he's the first person i'd call.
          guys that turn down opportunity exist but they are few & far enough between that i'd believe it when i see it
          Go Bearcats!
          M-I-Z-Z-O-U!

Comment

Comment

D2 coaches at the next level?

It seems like just yesterday, 2014-2015, when I was watching Chris Beard on the WT sidelines coaching Angelo State. Ne never won a D2 title. Then 2 years at Little Rock. Then Beard took the UNLV job before backing out and winding up at Texas Tech. 2 years later NC finalist.

If I were the AD for a mid-pack mid-level Conference USA / Sun Belt type of school, I'd hire the NW guy in a NY minute. He'd make me look like a genius.

Comment

Comment

There seems to be talk Ben is pretty committed to this Bearcat team for next season, especially with his juniors Trevor Hudgins and Diego Bernard returning and Ryan Hawkins making his decision to come back to play another year.. Not to forget his other two starters would also be returning next season. If NW can add another national championship to their record this season (and to Coach Mac's record), the talk is Mac will "see" a future with huge implications with an even more talented team returning back the following year.. Certainly, the two freshman, Alexander and Jackson showing so much growth and putting their talents on display, especially as this season winds down, has been impressive. If Mac can pull off an N/C this season, regardless of any offers from a D1 coming in for him, his tendency ... if he's truly interested with potentially playing his best hand of cards with his coaching career, it would appear being patient and waiting at least one more would offers\ Coach Mac another pretty solid opportunity to make a run in the NCAA Tourney, certainly another return to the N/C game. Would definitely seem not unlikely. A back-to-back this year, and coupled with his two previous N/C's, while also not to ignore his 31-1 record from the Covid season that cancelled the NCAA tournament), would just seem to open more doors coming his way with offers from a more upper tier D1 basketball program.

But, I'm a Bearcat fan. Coach Mac loves NW and he adores Maryville. Doesn't get any better for him. .
                  Last edited by ZubCat81; 03-26-2021, 01:22 AM.

Comment

It all just comes down to what the offers are. If the right opportunity comes... one that he can't pass up, I'm not sure that the idea of chasing another title in D2 would make him stay. Obviously, it would be a really hard decision with the team he has and he loves these guys, but it's still a career decision. If it's the right offer, and a job that he feels good about, I don't think he can wait another year thinking he's going to automatically get something better... you just never know how the hand will be dealt.

All that said, for all the reasons that have been mentioned, the offer/opportunity at NWMSU may be the best one he gets... it's a pretty good gig right now. For sure though, if he were to win a NC this year, come back and have another great year, he's going to be impossible to ignore.

We talk about Mac, but with the ease of transferring today, sometimes I wonder if Trevor would consider trying moving up. There really isn't a single thing left for him to accomplish at this level. I hope it's not even remotely a thought for him, but you sure couldn't blame him for wanting to do it. He would definitely get some strong offers.

Comment

• Comment

• I saw a Facebook post from Austin Meyer, the NW Women's coach during the 1st game of the Elite 8 that said something to the affect not many teams out there can slow the tempo of the game and score 51 points in a half. The Emporia State men's coach, Coach Doty, left a comment that said "they are playing chess while everyone else plays Candyland..."

Comment

• Nevermind. I was trying to show you how to do it, but the stupid HTML prevents me from actually showing what you have to type in because it reads what I'm typing in as an attempt to embed a tweet.

It's dumb.

Comment

• Reminiscent of Jerry Partridge's comment about putting Coach Tjeerdsma out to pasture.

Comment

• Any word on Alexander, if it's ankle vs achilles?

Comment

• Originally posted by Bearcat97 View Post
                                Any word on Alexander, if it's ankle vs achilles?
                                I was told that it was a high ankle sprain. I don't know if that's official though, or if they ever announced it. Sounded like he is done either way, but if that is what it is, it is certainly great news!

Comment

Ad3

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X