X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Small College HOF Classic Field

https://gogriffons.com/news/2019/5/1...ic-lineup.aspx

Re: Small College HOF Classic Field

Congratulations to John Smith! This had better get some serious pub at his alma mater. The way they parted ways with him is shameful.

Comment

Would have rather seen NW play literally any other 2 schools (besides Western since we see them in conference) than the 2 we are playing but still nice to be a part of this event. Daemen had a good record but I know nothing else about them and we played Nazarene last year and they are part of our region. West Texas, Aiken, Lincoln Memorial, and Davenport are all very good programs and would have been fun to match up against any of them.

Comment

Originally posted by NWHoops View Post
        Would have rather seen NW play literally any other 2 schools (besides Western since we see them in conference) than the 2 we are playing but still nice to be a part of this event. Daemen had a good record but I know nothing else about them and we played Nazarene last year and they are part of our region. West Texas, Aiken, Lincoln Memorial, and Davenport are all very good programs and would have been fun to match up against any of them.
        Those were also my initial thoughts, but after reviewing their rosters, I think they are good matchups. Both teams appear to return experienced lineups and came into the tournament playing well. Also, if I remember correctly, don't games against in-region teams weigh differently than out-of-region teams? If so, Southern is the logical choice of the teams that are participating.

Comment

Originally posted by Bearcat-Hawkeye View Post
          Those were also my initial thoughts, but after reviewing their rosters, I think they are good matchups. Both teams appear to return experienced lineups and came into the tournament playing well. Also, if I remember correctly, don't games against in-region teams weigh differently than out-of-region teams? If so, Southern is the logical choice of the teams that are participating.
          Yes in region games count more toward postseason but there are some nuances. I think if you play any team that is from a state bordering your region then it counts as in-region. If I'm remembering that right that means West Texas and Lincoln Memorial would count as in-region.

Comment

Originally posted by NWHoops View Post
            Yes in region games count more toward postseason but there are some nuances. I think if you play any team that is from a state bordering your region then it counts as in-region. If I'm remembering that right that means West Texas and Lincoln Memorial would count as in-region.
            Close, but not quite. All schools in states within your region count, as well as schools in states bordering your state. For NWMSU, Lincoln Memorial would count (Missouri borders Tennessee), but West Texas would not. There are a few other small technicalities, but none apply to what you're talking about.

Comment

Originally posted by Stanger86 View Post
              Close, but not quite. All schools in states within your region count, as well as schools in states bordering your state. For NWMSU, Lincoln Memorial would count (Missouri borders Tennessee), but West Texas would not. There are a few other small technicalities, but none apply to what you're talking about.
              Thanks, I knew I was somewhere in the ballpark. In region or not, I think I'd still rather play any of those other teams.

Comment

After completing some more research, Daemen returns 4 starters from their best season ever, going 24-6. They've also won 17 consecutive season openers. If Northwest can pull off the victory, I'm guessing that Daemen will go on to have another strong year, making it a quality win that will look good on their resume.

Comment

Solid field: two Elite Eight teams including of course the defending national champion, two teams that lost in the regional semifinals, and one that lost in the regional first round. Average record of 26-7.

Comment

Here is a state of WSU athletics and the men's basketball program in a nut shell.

https://gobuffsgo.com/news/2019/5/15...e-classic.aspx

John Smith never attended West Texas but he gets more ink through there athletic program than the WSU programs. Not even a twitter mention or a congrats from the coaching staff or athletic department. Another promotional opportunity down the drain. Stay hot Winona!!!!

Congrats John!! You deserve this honor.

Comment

Originally posted by wsufamily View Post
                      Here is a state of WSU athletics and the men's basketball program in a nut shell.

https://gobuffsgo.com/news/2019/5/15...e-classic.aspx

John Smith never attended West Texas but he gets more ink through there athletic program than the WSU programs. Not even a twitter mention or a congrats from the coaching staff or athletic department. Another promotional opportunity down the drain. Stay hot Winona!!!!

Congrats John!! You deserve this honor.

Comment

Hey, Winona finally got its act together and typed something up

https://winonastatewarriors.com/news...l-of-fame.aspx

Comment

Originally posted by Stanger86 View Post
                          Hey, Winona finally got its act together and typed something up

https://winonastatewarriors.com/news...l-of-fame.aspx
                          Must be monitoring our board.

Comment

Originally posted by DapperDan View Post
                            Must be monitoring our board.
                            I hesitate to ask, but what is the story with Smith and Winona?

Comment

Originally posted by GrifFan View Post
                              I hesitate to ask, but what is the story with Smith and Winona?
                              All I know is he was a graduate assistant coach toward the end of the Leaf fiasco and he was shown the door over some disagreement. Others I'm sure know more but whatever it was it can't be worth severing amicable ties with one of the most positively impacting players in program history.

Comment

Ad3

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X