Support The Site!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 2021-2022 Bearcats

I started a new thread, so the transfer thread didn't become a Northwest thread like so many do.

Hawkins moving on is obviously a big deal, but I'm trying to look at it as if he had come back, it would have been an unexpected gift because he wasn't supposed to be here next year anyway. He was tremendous and will definitely be missed. I do think we can find ways to replace his offensive production, but it's those intangibles that he brought every night... the all out hustle, getting his hands in the passing lanes, poking the ball away from would be drivers, diving for balls, scrapping for rebounds... that'll be missed the most. I think that stuff is infectious, especially when it's coming from your best players, but I'm excited to see where we turn for that. An expanded roll for Alexander is obviously coming, hopefully Dreamer and Waters become more consistent 3 point shooters and I believe they will as their roles change, Jackson proved his worth and I would expect to see more scoring opportunities for him, perhaps Mascari, Schomers, or Abreu will make a big leap.... early last year, it looked like Abreu was going to be the impact freshman. I'm also really excited to see what we have with the two incoming freshman... on tape, they look like they will fit in to everything we do... they have length and they can shoot. Looking forward to cheers of "Mooooooooooose" whenever Moustaskas does something good. It'll bring back some of the feel-good of the 2014 and 2015 Royals for me. :)

I feel like the cupboard is still pretty loaded as long as this news doesn't impact anyone else's decision to stay. If we do bring in a transfer, I think it'll be someone that can defend on the interior... that's the biggest concern for me.

I'll add my two cents. I think NWMS will still have a ton of weapons. Hawkins was tremendous but you guys can maybe replace him by committee. I think the way Alexander ended the season is a huge plus for next year's team. Jackson is more of an unknown but he looks like he could be a good contributor as well. As far as what I see for the Ichabods, they will return 7 or their top 9. They lose Jace Williams and Will McKee. Both were good defensively and both knew their role. I think the Bods need a transfer to help Jonny Clausing and Ray Carter. They are pretty thin upfront. They should be pretty set on the perimeter with Geiman (still coming back?), Lewis, Nelson, Braun & Deffebaugh. They have two promising freshman that will be sophomores in Michael Keegan (6'6") wing that can really shoot it and Azeem Ross (6'5") athletic slasher that should be in the mix. I think the Bearcats are still the prohibitive favorite even without Hawkins but Washburn could challenge if Clausing can stay healthy and take a step forward. I still think the Ichabods need one more inside player to challenge NWMS next year. I know this is a NWMS thread but these two teams should be 1 & 2 pre-season next year.

Comment

Originally posted by Btech#3 View Post
      I'll add my two cents. I think NWMS will still have a ton of weapons. Hawkins was tremendous but you guys can maybe replace him by committee. I think the way Alexander ended the season is a huge plus for next year's team. Jackson is more of an unknown but he looks like he could be a good contributor as well. As far as what I see for the Ichabods, they will return 7 or their top 9. They lose Jace Williams and Will McKee. Both were good defensively and both knew their role. I think the Bods need a transfer to help Jonny Clausing and Ray Carter. They are pretty thin upfront. They should be pretty set on the perimeter with Geiman (still coming back?), Lewis, Nelson, Braun & Deffebaugh. They have two promising freshman that will be sophomores in Michael Keegan (6'6") wing that can really shoot it and Azeem Ross (6'5") athletic slasher that should be in the mix. I think the Bearcats are still the prohibitive favorite even without Hawkins but Washburn could challenge if Clausing can stay healthy and take a step forward. I still think the Ichabods need one more inside player to challenge NWMS next year. I know this is a NWMS thread but these two teams should be 1 & 2 pre-season next year.
      I agree with you, Washburn is loaded for another run at it and a healthy Clausing is a problem. Like I said, my biggest concern with the roster that we have right now is interior defense. Even though Hawkins didn't straight up guard Clausing all that much because we didn't want him in foul trouble, his ability to guard really anyone allowed us to run multiple people at other team's good post players. It was always a committee, but they were kind of able to do that because you knew Hawk's guy wasn't going to get off and he was a good help defender. Big guys have hurt us in the past, Clausing, Martin, etc., and you can live with that when you're solid everywhere else. As long as Northwest continues to be efficient offensively, giving up some 2's to size hasn't been a big detriment. Next year though, depending on how things shake out, it might be Dreamer or Waters that we're trying to protect, so I'd like to see us find some size for that interior depth defensively if nothing else. They don't ever call and ask me for my opinion though, nor should they. ;)

Comment

The big question for me is this. Who becomes Hudgins' pick and pop partner? Dreamer? Waters? Does Trevor go at it differently and drive the hole more? Withus and Hawk were the Jelly to Trevor's peanut butter and those combinations were so deadly because it was a pick your poison when your the defense. Do you show on the the pop? Trev goes right around you for a lay up. Do you help on the drive? Withus or Hawk bury a 3. Someone is going to have to step into that role and knock down the 3. Hawk being gone is huge, but like was said earlier, we didn't expect to have him next season anyway under normal conditions. I still like NW to win the conference and give it a hell of a run in the tourney. I'll take Trevor and Mac everyday and twice on Sunday. Go Cats!

Comment

Originally posted by A-TownBearcat View Post
          The big question for me is this. Who becomes Hudgins' pick and pop partner? Dreamer? Waters? Does Trevor go at it differently and drive the hole more? Withus and Hawk were the Jelly to Trevor's peanut butter and those combinations were so deadly because it was a pick your poison when your the defense. Do you show on the the pop? Trev goes right around you for a lay up. Do you help on the drive? Withus or Hawk bury a 3. Someone is going to have to step into that role and knock down the 3. Hawk being gone is huge, but like was said earlier, we didn't expect to have him next season anyway under normal conditions. I still like NW to win the conference and give it a hell of a run in the tourney. I'll take Trevor and Mac everyday and twice on Sunday. Go Cats!
          Like Btech said, I think it'll be a committee. Dreamer is probably the more natural fit, but he and Waters have both done it when Hawk has been in foul trouble. I look at the first game against Washburn (I know we lost), but Dreamer ran a lot of the pick and pop and kind of kept us in that game. I was really thinking at that point, he was going to have a big year. He ended up being a little inconsistent, but with more focused role as a scorer, I feel like that'll improve. I can even see Alexander doing it some, but with more focus on the roll than the pop... more like the way it was run with Pitts and Dougherty, creating that mismatches with everyone else spacing the floor. Abreu could be another candidate... he didn't play a lot down the stretch last year, but he does have a nice looking 3 point shot. With more of a green light, who knows?

I feel like Alexander is going to create some mismatches in ways we haven't really had... he has guard skills, but he's big and strong. He could be someone that might even get some iso's or post ups, depending on the match-up. It may look a little different, but I don't really have a lot of worries offensively.

Comment

His reasoning behind the decision is different than what you might expect... it's an interesting way for him to look at it. I hope he kills it and his team is successful and gets to play in the tournament wherever he goes, unless it's Kansas. Sorry, not sorry.
            Northwest men�s basketball senior forward Ryan Hawkins entered his name into the NCAA Transfer Portal Monday morning, first reported by Hoop Scoop Media with Hawkins later confirming to The Missourian.

Comment

Originally posted by Alfred33 View Post
              His reasoning behind the decision is different than what you might expect... it's an interesting way for him to look at it. I hope he kills it and his team is successful and gets to play in the tournament wherever he goes, unless it's Kansas. Sorry, not sorry.

Comment

I agree 100%... and I wouldn't have been shocked or upset had Trevor decided to take his game to the next level either, because he has nothing left to prove either. I just found it interesting that part of Hawk's reason was that he's not really planning on playing pro ball. That next year is his "last" last year, and it'll be the highest level he ever plays, so he's going for it. A lot of kids with his game might be thinking about making that jump to get more eyes on them or so that they will be more prepared for the pro game. Like he said, his decision is the opposite of that.

Comment

Just piggy backing on what Hawkins said about this next year being his last year. I have a friend that knows a current NBA agent and this agent got his start working with guys that wanted to play over seas. His comment to my friend was that putting up big numbers (mainly scoring) gets more play with the coaches and GM's in Europe. His comment was that he was able to get a D-2 guy a better job that had big numbers than a D-1 guy that was just a role player. I am not saying Hawkins will be a role player but the chances of him averaging 22ppg and 9rpg at the D-1 level is low. I also know a guy that played in the Big 12 that was a good player and averaged around 9ppg. He said he couldn't get any interest from anyone over seas because his numbers weren't good enough. I found this surprising and had no idea that big numbers at the D-2 level got the attention of decision makers over seas. Maybe Hawkins has heard the same stuff and that is what he is referring to.

Comment

Just piggy backing on what Hawkins said about this next year being his last year. I have a friend that knows a current NBA agent and this agent got his start working with guys that wanted to play over seas. His comment to my friend was that putting up big numbers (mainly scoring) gets more play with the coaches and GM's in Europe. His comment was that he was able to get a D-2 guy a better job that had big numbers than a D-1 guy that was just a role player. I am not saying Hawkins will be a role player but the chances of him averaging 22ppg and 9rpg at the D-1 level is low. I also know a guy that played in the Big 12 that was a good player and averaged around 9ppg. He said he couldn't get any interest from anyone over seas because his numbers weren't good enough. I found this surprising and had no idea that big numbers at the D-2 level got the attention of decision makers over seas. Maybe Hawkins has heard the same stuff and that is what he is referring to.
                    I remember talking to one of Augie's assistant coaches a few years ago about Dan Jansen going pro after his senior year. He said Dan was the last player to make the cut on the team that signed him to his contract overseas, and he beat out a big man from Minnesota who was a role player (even though he started for the Gophers), and one other kid who was also a Big Ten role player. That would seem to be anecdotal evidence to corroborate your friend's theory.

Comment

That's probably true, and maybe part of why Mac said he thought he'd have better pro prospects if he stayed. I could be completely wrong, but I don't really feel like he could hurt his pro prospects by being a role player for a year of D1... he's already shown himself to be elite at the D2 level for 3 years, and those statistics won't be taken away. Same thing with Cam Martin, I don't think a limited role, if that's the case, at KU is going to hurt his chances of playing overseas. Now if Cam would play a lot of minutes and somehow average 15 and 8, showing his game isn't limited to posting up smaller players, I think his prospects go way up to possibly playing in the highest leagues overseas and earning really good money. I guess my takeaway and surprise was more that Hawk doesn't seem to have any vision or dreams of playing beyond next year when he obviously could. And there is absolutely nothing wrong with that.

I'm really looking forward to watching him play next year and just kind of being able to better gauge how our players stack up. I'll probably try to catch some Minnesota and maybe even KU games next year too just to see Fox and Martin play.... I think it's exciting.

Comment

NW has sent an inquiry to Duke about playing them again in an Exhibition game. So far no word from Duke.

Comment

I like the idea of Duke playing at Maryville for a change of pace. Packed house (of course), and wallah the Coach K Farewell Tour is underway. Northwest could even get it all going by gifting him a new John Deere!

More road games for the Blue Devils this year means more gifts for Mike!

Comment

Comment

Originally posted by MisterWizard View Post
                              I like the idea of Duke playing at Maryville for a change of pace. Packed house (of course), and wallah the Coach K Farewell Tour is underway. Northwest could even get it all going by gifting him a new John Deere!

More road games for the Blue Devils this year means more gifts for Mike!
                              Trust me, the huge Kamikaze plant in Maryville would have a say in that idea.

Comment

Ad3

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X