Collapse

Support The Site!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• This Bearcat team is obviously very good, but it still doesn't feel quite as complete or as balanced as the last few. Dreamer is capable, but I don't feel like teams respect the pick and pop quite like they did with Withus and Hawkins. We don't get as much out of that action as we have in the past. Part of that is not really having that 3rd consistently good shooter to keep the help honest... With Withus, you had Welty and Hawkins, with Hawkins, you had Dreamer... it's just different. I haven't seen the numbers, but it doesn't feel as efficient. That said, those efficiency numbers were other worldly though, so that should be expected. We have a phenomenal player in Hudgens, but man, he is asked to do a lot for us. By his lofty standards, the last 3 or 4 games, he hasn't shot it as well as what we're used to, but a lot of that comes down to him shooting a contested 3 late in the possession. I realize the defense dictates a lot of it, but against UNK he didn't settle and was able to get to the basket a lot. I don't know what the record for 3 point attempts in a season is, but he's got to be on that kind of pace

Defensively, this team is really good. Smallish on the interior, but 3 really strong perimeter defenders. The emergence of Isaiah Jackson on that end of the court has been fun to watch... that kid can really guard. When you can trust him to guard a Geiman type player for 40 minutes a night, it allows you to do some other things with Hudgens and Benard. He's a really good rebounding guard too... it'll be interesting to see how his offensive game develops over the next couple of years, but he's definitely earning his playing time.

I hope this didn't come off as negative, because it wasn't meant to be... just some observations. This team positioned to make another run, but it still feels like they have room to get better... I'm either delusional or that's kind of scary. lol Survived the 1st crack at the Bods... on to another good test with the highest scoring team in the conference at 15-2 UCO.

Comment

• You'll just have to settle for being the best D2 team in the country this year instead of the the best D2 team ever I guess. I haven't seen any NWMS games but I'm shocked to look at the stats and see that Alexander is only playing 17 minutes a night. That guy absolutely killed Northern last year and looked like he was going to be the next Bearcat star. Hudgins alone is enough to be one of the best teams in the country.

Northern has certainly not looked like the same team we've grown accustomed to over the last 5 years. Losing most everybody on the roster will do that. The offense has looked disjointed most of the season. We were certainly spoiled with what we've come to expect. It really makes you appreciate what NWMS has been able to put together for such a long stretch of time.

Comment

• Originally posted by Thunder View Post
        You'll just have to settle for being the best D2 team in the country this year instead of the the best D2 team ever I guess. I haven't seen any NWMS games but I'm shocked to look at the stats and see that Alexander is only playing 17 minutes a night. That guy absolutely killed Northern last year and looked like he was going to be the next Bearcat star. Hudgins alone is enough to be one of the best teams in the country.

Northern has certainly not looked like the same team we've grown accustomed to over the last 5 years. Losing most everybody on the roster will do that. The offense has looked disjointed most of the season. We were certainly spoiled with what we've come to expect. It really makes you appreciate what NWMS has been able to put together for such a long stretch of time.
        For sure we've been spoiled... having a great point guard makes a world of difference and we've had 3 in a row. One could argue, and probably be right, that somehow we've even upgraded each time... Cooper to Pitts to Hudgens. It's impossible to fathom that happening again after Hudgens, so it'll be interesting to see where this team goes after this year assuming Hudgens doesn't choose to play his free year at NW. Honestly, I've been surprised about Alexander too... I really thought he'd have a bigger role this year.

I was shocked so many chose to leave Northern after last season... That kind of turnover is nearly impossible to overcome. It's too bad because even without Parker, you guys would have been really good again. We definitely haven't been going through anything like that... things just don't seem to come quite as easily on the offensive end and we have some stretches during games where it looks hard... but again, I know we've been spoiled beyond measure.

Comment

• Heading to the games in Edmond & Wichita. Tonight could well be the toughest game of the season so far.

Comment

• Originally posted by NWFanatic View Post
            Heading to the games in Edmond & Wichita. Tonight could well be the toughest game of the season so far.
            Please let us know if Central Oklahoma is for real. Right now we've got roughly five teams in the conversation to potentially host the Regional by my estimation:
            • NW Missouri
            • Upper Iowa
            • Duluth
            • Augie
            • Central Oklahoma.
            Two of them play tonight and then two more, Augie and Duluth, go at it tomorrow.

Comment

• I saw UCO back in December in Edmond against the Ichabods. It was Geiman's first game back so he was about 50 to 70%. We were still without Clausing and Nelson. We had the ball for the last shot and Lewis was called for a bogus charging foul with 5 seconds left. We lost in OT by 10 because Ballard got kicked out. They shot a bunch of technical FT's at the end. We shot 15 free throws for the game. UCO shot 42. Maybe the most lopsided officiated game that I have seen. In other words, we should have won. My opinion of UCO is that they prolly have the most talent in the league. Wade and Givens are very good athletes. Wade on the inside and Givens can go in and out. Hayden is a gifted point guard and Wells is a very good 3pt shooter at the off-guard. They don't have much depth but they have a very good starting line-up. They are very good offensively as a team but not great defensively. I think they are going to lose some games on the road because of their defense. However, with every win they get more confident which makes them really dangerous. If they get it going offensively then that makes them play a little better on the defensive end. I think NWMS is the better team because of their team defense. I don't' think UCO is consistent enough to earn the homecourt cuz I think they will lose some road games down the stretch. I think if anyone gets the homecourt for the Regionals in the MIAA it will be NWMS. I think it is down to the Bearcats and whoever wins the NSIC. We played Oklahoma Baptist early without 3 starters and lost at the end by 6. They are leading the GAC and they have 5 or 6 losses so it won't be anybody from the GAC. UCO still has a chance but I don't think they overtake the Bearcats. Just my two cents.

Comment

• Originally posted by Btech#3 View Post
                I saw UCO back in December in Edmond against the Ichabods. It was Geiman's first game back so he was about 50 to 70%. We were still without Clausing and Nelson. We had the ball for the last shot and Lewis was called for a bogus charging foul with 5 seconds left. We lost in OT by 10 because Ballard got kicked out. They shot a bunch of technical FT's at the end. We shot 15 free throws for the game. UCO shot 42. Maybe the most lopsided officiated game that I have seen. In other words, we should have won. My opinion of UCO is that they prolly have the most talent in the league. Wade and Givens are very good athletes. Wade on the inside and Givens can go in and out. Hayden is a gifted point guard and Wells is a very good 3pt shooter at the off-guard. They don't have much depth but they have a very good starting line-up. They are very good offensively as a team but not great defensively. I think they are going to lose some games on the road because of their defense. However, with every win they get more confident which makes them really dangerous. If they get it going offensively then that makes them play a little better on the defensive end. I think NWMS is the better team because of their team defense. I don't' think UCO is consistent enough to earn the homecourt cuz I think they will lose some road games down the stretch. I think if anyone gets the homecourt for the Regionals in the MIAA it will be NWMS. I think it is down to the Bearcats and whoever wins the NSIC. We played Oklahoma Baptist early without 3 starters and lost at the end by 6. They are leading the GAC and they have 5 or 6 losses so it won't be anybody from the GAC. UCO still has a chance but I don't think they overtake the Bearcats. Just my two cents.
                You typically have a reasonable and unbiased view of the game and different teams. If you are accurate that UCO will most likely lose a couple on the road then that may help NW in being able to potentially host. However, this is the only regular season matchup for the 2 as UCO does not play at NW. That makes it even more imperative for NW to get the win tonight because if the two teams are close for Regional purposes at the end of the year then this matchup could be a deciding factor on who is ranked higher.

Comment

• Comment

• Comment

• Last edited by Alfred33; 01-20-2022, 08:36 PM.

Comment

• [QUOTE=Augieholic;n646748]

Please let us know if Central Oklahoma is for real.
                        Yes

Comment

• Comment

• NW players didn't come out of the locker room until 2 minutes left at intermission.

Comment

• This play by play joker is coming right out of the gates these first 5 minutes of the second half being a total ass.

Comment

• Comment

Ad3

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X