Support The Site!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Washburn Basketball 2021-22 Season

I have been trying to piece together the Central Region Challenge that is taking place on Friday thru Sunday-Nov 12th, 13th and 14th at historic Municipal Auditorium in Kansas City. There are a couple of scheduling errors on some of the school websites and there are several schools that do not have their schedules posted. So I don't have it solidified yet. There appears to be 4 games on Fri, 4 games on Sat and 4 games on Sun (times TBA). The 16 teams that have appeared on the schedules are: From the MIAA: Washburn, MO Western, Lincoln, NW MO State, MO Southern & Pitt St.. From the GAC: Southern Arkansas, Henderson St, Arkansas-Monticello, & Southern Nazerene. and from the NSIC: Northern State, Augustana, Minnesota St, Sioux Falls, Upper Iowa & Winona St. This should be a great weekend of basketball with many of the top teams in each conference from last year coming to KC.

The outlook for the Ichabods 2021-22 season seems bright.

Starters Lost--6'5" Sr. Jayce Williams and 6'7" Jr. Will McKee. Jayce started 18 of the 27 games in 2020-21. He took over after Jonny Clausing when down with a stress fracture in Game 10 against Missouri Western. He averaged 5.3ppg and 4rpg in 19 minutes of action a game. He was really good defensively and knew his role and has some big games for the Bods down the stretch and will be missed. Will started in 16 of 27 games in an injury riddled season. Will missed the entire 2019-20 with a devastating knee injury after starting the entire 2018-19 season. Will averaged 3.4ppg and 4.1rpg in just under 18 minutes a game. Will like Jayce was a good defender and knew his role as well. He ended the season strong and will also be missed.

Starters Returning--6'1" super senior Tyler Geiman(27 starts), 5'10" junior Jalen Lewis(26 starts), 6'3" Sophomore Tyler Nelson (20 starts), 6'9" Sophomore Jonny Clausing(9 starts), and 6'7" super senior Rathen Carter(11 starts). Tyler Geiman headlines an outstanding nucleus coming back. 20.3ppg, 6.3rpg, 6apg in 36 minutes of action along with 1st team all MIAA, All Defensive team MIAA and 3rd team All-American highlight his resume. Jalen Lewis (Hon. Mention All-MIAA) averaged 13.4ppg, and shot 49% from three and added a MVP of the MIAA tournament to highlight his 2020-21. Tyler Nelson averaged 11ppg, 3.4rpg to go along with 39 steals in his sophomore campaign and Jonny Clausing (Hon. Mention All-MIAA) averaged 9.6ppg and 4.6rpg in a very solid Junior campaign. Rathan Carter's 4.4ppg and 2.4rpg round out the stats for the returning starters

Other Key returnees--6'4" sharpshooting Levi Braun--6.6ppg & 49.1% from 3pt range, 6'3" sophomore jumping jack Conner Deffebaugh (5.5ppg, 48.6% from 3pt range) all logged considerable minutes and were key contributors in the Ichabods 9 man rotation in 2020-21. 6'6" freshman redshirt Michael Keegan and 6'5" freshman redshirt Azeem Ross bring length and athleticism and provide some depth at the 3 and 4 positions. 6'4" Sr. Shannon Cordes and 6'1" Jr. Isiah Thorne provide experience and played in some big situations in 2020-21. Freshman big man (6'8") Zach Davidson round out the returnees as he continues to improve and provides depth at the 5 position.

Key transfers--6'8" McNeese St. Sr. transfer Jeremy Harrell and 6'4" Coffeyville Jr. College transfer Kevaughn Ellis are two impact transfers that should add depth and push the returners for playing time. Jeremy brings a long and athletic body with a nice shooting touch and a wealth of D-1 experience. Kevaughn brings an athleticism to the wing position that can play on the perimeter and possesses the strength (205 lbs) to finish at the rim and guard a bigger body. He also comes from a winner as his Coffeyville squad won the National JC championship and he was a major contributor--16pts in the National Championship game.

The Freshman--the talk around Washburn is this might be Coach Ballard's most talented incoming Freshman class since he has been in Topeka. 6'0" point guard Jaden Monday from Van Horn HS in KC, Mo brings a 23ppg average his senior year and a DiRenna award finalist to the Ichabods. He is joined by 6'7" Forward Andrew Orr (15ppg and 7rpg) from 6A state champion Blue Valley North and 6'2" combo guard Jordan Vincent from Goddard-Eisenhower/Sunrise Christian Academy (24ppg and 6apg his Jr. year at Eisenhower) to round out a very talented Freshman class

Team Production--The Ichabods have 86.5% of the scoring, 73.9% of their rebounding, 92.8% of the their 3pt shooting, 85.2% of their assists and 80.2% of their minutes returning from the 2020-21 season

The Intangibles--Washburn seems poised for a good run in 2021-22. They are still chasing the Bearcats but they seemed to have made some progress by beating NWMS twice in 2020-21 with both wins coming in Maryville. They seem to have all the parts and they seem to have replaced two very good glue guys that did a lot of little things in McKee and Williams. You never know until you see them as a team but Harrell and Ellis seem to be very good pieces and fill some needs with the departure of Williams and McKee. They also needed young guards to replace Geiman and in 2 years Lewis and it looks like they got that with Monday & Vincent. They also needed a young quality big man and it looks like Orr filled that need.

The Outlook--The Ichabods have experience and really good guard play. Geiman was one of two guys nationally in D-2 to average 20, 6 & 6 in 2020-21. He is unselfish and makes us go. He can score if he has to but is even better when he is in a play-making role. I think he will be even better because I believe the rest of the guys will be even better this year. His game seems to make everyone else better and they all really play off him well. The Bods needed more depth inside. When Clausing went down last year, we were really thin upfront with only 3 guys (Williams, McKee and Carter). This year with Clausing(6'9"), Harrell(6'8"), Carter(6'7"), & Orr(6'7") along with Deffebaugh and newcomer Ellis that can both step up and play the 4 if needed gives Coach Ballard many more options at the 4 and 5 positions. The improved depth inside along with Washburn's 3pt shooting, Lewis-career 43% and 5th all time at Washburn, Geiman-4th all time in makes at Washburn(38%), Nelson-40% career, Braun-49% career, Carter-40% career & Deffebaug-37% career make for a lot of options for Geiman to distribute and spread the defense. I know in Topeka there is a ton of respect for NWMS and they have to be favored and they have just as much back as the Ichabods but the Bods believe they can challenge the Bearcats for the regular season conference championship. Should be a lot of fun to see what happens
    Last edited by Btech#3; 09-07-2021, 03:50 PM.

Comment

Headed down to Topeka today to watch the Ichabods scrimmage Coffeyville Junior College. The Bods have one of Coffeyville's guys from last year's National Championship team (KeVaughn Ellis). KeVaughn is a really nice late addition to the Ichabods. 6'4" 3 man that is very athletic and can shoot the 3 as well. He had 14 pts in the National Championship game last year. Anyway, looking forward to see how Washburn looks with their new additions and how they mesh with last years returnees.

Comment

Originally posted by Btech#3 View Post
        Headed down to Topeka today to watch the Ichabods scrimmage Coffeyville Junior College. The Bods have one of Coffeyville's guys from last year's National Championship team (KeVaughn Ellis). KeVaughn is a really nice late addition to the Ichabods. 6'4" 3 man that is very athletic and can shoot the 3 as well. He had 14 pts in the National Championship game last year. Anyway, looking forward to see how Washburn looks with their new additions and how they mesh with last years returnees.
        So, yeah, MIAA is expecting Washburn to have a solid team of returnees this season, not to forget your mention of the addition of the Coffeyville JC transfer from last year's National Championship team (Ellis). Just curious, how well did this Coffeyville JC team complete with Washburn during the scrimmage? Talented Coffeyville JC freshman and sophomore players competing against a high profile Washburn four-year university.? Going to be an exciting 2021-22 MIAA season.

Comment

Comment

Update on the Washburn Ichabods. Injuries, injuries, injuries. The Bods lost a hard fought game at home to Oklahoma Baptist last night losing by 6. I was there and I was encouraged by their play and their overall effort. They desperately miss Geiman. He is so good at getting people shots and they miss his floor leadership. In addition, his 20ppg and 6 assists and 6 rebounds are also missed. He is out of the boot and looked to be walking without a limp. Not sure on his timetable but at least another week to 10 days. Tyler Nelson is also missed. He will be back for the last two games before Christmas so he has 3 weeks to go and 6'9" Jonny Clausing will be out until after the 1st of the year. Still in a boot and has at least another 6 weeks of rehab after he gets out of the boot. On the positive side, the young kids and two transfers are getting a ton of playing time. 6'7" Michael Keegan looked good last night at the 4 spot and 6'8" Andrew Orr looked solid at the 5. Both are freshman and are getting some much needed experience. Jaden Monday is playing 30+ minutes at the point and played better last night but is in a real tough spot for a freshman. He will be a nice back-up but he can't create and score like Geiman can. I hope we can have the full squad back for a January and February run but it has been tough to watch us lose to teams that we would have beaten easily had we had our whole team. I don't know of a team in the country that can have their all-american point guard, there starting wing player who averaged 11ppg and their two time all conference post player out and not miss a beat. We have definitely missed a beat. In Topeka we are hoping we have not dug ourselves too big of a hole that we can not recover from and we are looking forward to surviving in Dec and making a run in Jan and Feb.

Comment

Update on the Washburn Ichabods. Injuries, injuries, injuries. The Bods lost a hard fought game at home to Oklahoma Baptist last night losing by 6. I was there and I was encouraged by their play and their overall effort. They desperately miss Geiman. He is so good at getting people shots and they miss his floor leadership. In addition, his 20ppg and 6 assists and 6 rebounds are also missed. He is out of the boot and looked to be walking without a limp. Not sure on his timetable but at least another week to 10 days. Tyler Nelson is also missed. He will be back for the last two games before Christmas so he has 3 weeks to go and 6'9" Jonny Clausing will be out until after the 1st of the year. Still in a boot and has at least another 6 weeks of rehab after he gets out of the boot. On the positive side, the young kids and two transfers are getting a ton of playing time. 6'7" Michael Keegan looked good last night at the 4 spot and 6'8" Andrew Orr looked solid at the 5. Both are freshman and are getting some much needed experience. Jaden Monday is playing 30+ minutes at the point and played better last night but is in a real tough spot for a freshman. He will be a nice back-up but he can't create and score like Geiman can. I hope we can have the full squad back for a January and February run but it has been tough to watch us lose to teams that we would have beaten easily had we had our whole team. I don't know of a team in the country that can have their all-american point guard, there starting wing player who averaged 11ppg and their two time all conference post player out and not miss a beat. We have definitely missed a beat. In Topeka we are hoping we have not dug ourselves too big of a hole that we can not recover from and we are looking forward to surviving in Dec and making a run in Jan and Feb.
              Damn, you all have been bit by the injury bug...that just sucks! Hope all get back to full health quickly.

Comment

Jewell looked awful at the Multi the other night. I couldn't figure out how they beat Washburn. The injuries help explain it.

Comment

Yes Jewell was awful and we should have won in spite of the injuries. We played very poor. Our guys are getting closer to being back. Geiman should be back next week. Nelson in two weeks. That will help a bunch.

Comment

Last night the Ichabods went to MO Southern and won 87-72. This is the 3rd game that we have had our whole squad this season. Last night was the first time that we looked like the team that I thought we would have coming into this season. We have a solid 9 man rotation. We had 4 players in double figures and 7 players with 8pts. or more. We got solid contributions from all ten that played. I think you have to do it more than just a couple of games but the twelve point MO West win coupled with this game last night give us some hope that we could make a run this year. We got another tough road game at Pitt St. on Sat. They have played some really good games this year but have been pretty inconsistent. I liked what I saw last night from the Ichabods but we are in a pretty big hole. Looking forward to Saturday and then we have NWMS coming to Topeka on Monday.

Comment

Update on the Washburn Ichabods. I feel this year's team is the better than last year's squad despite our 15-9 record. We are starting to jell and I think have a chance in the post-season to make some noise. Jeremy Harrell is starting to make a difference (13ppg & 8rpg over the last 3 games) and Jonny Clausing is starting to contribute averaging 10ppg over the last 5 games and Michael Keegan, Kevaughn Ellis and Tyler Nelson (missed the first 12 games of the season) are starting to come into their own. Put that with Tyler Geiman getting healthier every game and I think we have a solid 8 or 9. We will see. I saw on the NSIC board that they felt that they have 4 or 5 teams that could win their conf. tourney. I feel like we have 4 or 5 as well that could win it. I don't think that has been the case the past few years.

Comment

I saw on the NSIC board that they felt that they have 4 or 5 teams that could win their conf. tourney. I feel like we have 4 or 5 as well that could win it. I don't think that has been the case the past few years.

That said ... I have for some time wished the MIAA and NSIC played an All-Star game at the end of the season. I also think it would be well-attended by a lot of D! interest.

Comment

Huge win by the Ichabods in Maryville. One of the best basketball games that I have seen. It was like a heavy weight fight with both teams going back and forth. This was the 3rd straight victory for the Ichabods in Maryville which is quite an accomplishment. It was a great team effort. Tyler Nelson came up big with the 3 to win it. Tyler Geiman led the charge with 21pts and 6 rebounds and 3 assists and he also guarded Trevor Hudgins the entire game holding him to 16 pts on 4-12 from the field. Jonny Clausing came up big with 12 pts and 10 rebounds and Conner Deffebaugh chipped in 11 pts. Phenomenal game. I think it is time to put the MIAA on notice that the Ichabods are a team to be reckoned with. They will have to prove it butI think they belong in the NCAA tourney with NWMS and UCO as on the 3 teams from the MIAA that belong in the big dance.

Comment

Ad3

Collapse
                          Working...
                          X