Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by MrMustang View Post
    Top 4 in the South - top 7 in the league. I think the Mustangs will suprise
    I think you're right that they can surprise, and I think people are especially sleeping on Kenny Byers. Not sure if the down record in 2019-20 combined with the COVID year soured people on him, but I feel like he's got to be one of the top returning guys in the NSIC.

Consider this stat:
    12 Mustangs all-time finished their careers with 1,000 points and 500 rebounds. Only six have finished with 1,200/500. The 6'4" Byers has a really good chance to join both groups as the shortest player on the list, entering the season with 900/397.

1,600/717 Mike Tobin (6'7") - 1982-86
    1,563/512 Jordan Miller (6'5") - 2009-13
    1,471/582 Chad Koenen (6'10") - 1998-02
    1,399/648 Scott Koenen (6'7") - 1998-01
    1,398/561 Joey Bartlett (6'6") - 2013-17
    1,347/887 Carter Kirk (6'8") - 2014-18
    1,192/712 Nick Smith (6'9") - 2010-14
    1,166/790 Mitch Weg (6'7") - 2013-17
    1,146/511 Elijah Starzl (6'6") - 2001-05
    1,103/848 Frank Belmont (6'7") - 1971-75
    1,025/712 Scott Roehl (6'7") - 2007-11
    1,014/713 Mike Lang (6'6") - 1968-72
    *if player grew during career, height is from senior season

Comment

Originally posted by Stanger86 View Post

I think you're right that they can surprise, and I think people are especially sleeping on Kenny Byers. Not sure if the down record in 2019-20 combined with the COVID year soured people on him, but I feel like he's got to be one of the top returning guys in the NSIC.
      You've brought up people sleeping on Byers in multiple threads now. I don't think there are (m)any NSIC fans on here who don't expect him to be SMSU's best player. What is your criteria for him being slept on?

Comment

Originally posted by MrAugustana View Post

You've brought up people sleeping on Byers in multiple threads now. I don't think there are (m)any NSIC fans on here who don't expect him to be SMSU's best player. What is your criteria for him being slept on?
        I'd agree with you here. Not having Byers made a big difference for SMSU last year and I think anyone that really follows the NSIC knows that he is a very good player. With him sitting out last season, there may not be as much hype because there is some "out of sight, out of mind", but he will be one of the better players in the conference this season.

Comment

Originally posted by MrAugustana View Post

Well for one thing, no one is really talking about SMSU. And I believe 10th-13th is the range this program was picked in the message board preseason poll, plus 13th in the actual poll.

I just can't see it. Not saying we'll be NCAA Tourney bound or anything. But usually the thing separating the teams in the top half from teams in the bottom half is talent and experience. Byers has played 93 games. Kramer, McCray and Phipps also all have multiple years of experience with their talent. This is a very solid returning core. Solid enough to be in the top half.

Our 3-8 record last year was not indicative of our talent level. The team was decimated by COVID and injuries. We had the most cancellations, only playing 11 games total and 7 against the South (no one else played under 10 division games, 12 total). We played one weekend in a month's span at one point, and those two games probably should have been cancelled too.

We finished 7th in the division and 14th overall last year. Basically where we're being picked this year. So everyone's basically saying Byers addition plus a non-COVID year will have basically no impact on the team from what we saw last year. That's why I say we're being slept on.

Comment

Looks like we will win some games and be competitve

Comment

Originally posted by MrMustang View Post
              Looks like we will win some games and be competitve
              It's a young group, but I like the potential we have. Seems like Cliff may have taken a step forward.

Comment

Comment

It's a young group, but I like the potential we have. Seems like Cliff may have taken a step forward.

Comment

Found this neat podcast that featured Tom Webb as a guest. Just wanted to share it with the other Mustang fans. If anyone listens too it - tell me what you think. I kinda enjoyed it.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=50f-dOWQeao

EDIT: Stanger beat me too it by a mile, oops. Still a good podcast though.

Comment

Originally posted by Purple Mav Man View Post

While the rest of the conference slept on Kenny Byers (including Kenny Byers it seems)
                      I think he heard you....

Comment

I think he heard you....

Comment

Really strong weekend for the Mustangs!

I may need to compose my excitement at some point. Starting the season 3-1 may have exceeded my expectations, though admittedly I know next to nothing about the four programs we've faced.

Comment

While I was excited about some of the individual talent, I had no idea what to expect from the group as a whole. This squad is a lot of fun to watch and has the potential to do some damage in the league this year.

Comment

Made the trip down last night. That was a lot of fun. Back and forth game that went down to the final second.

Like the drive this team seems to have. They were down by a lot about midway through the first half, but didn't give up.

Comment

Things aren't going well at the R/A - but Kenny Byers did get to 1,000 career points. The 25th person to do so.

Comment

Ad3

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X