Support The Site!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by cat fan View Post

This is also "a thing" at Wayne this year, it appears. Looks like they are doing the first several conference weekends this way, but then switching to the traditional schedule in mid-January. Was this a league-wide decision? I'm, um...unenthused, especially for the early Friday starts. Saturday games are basically afternoon affairs either way.
    This must be a league wide decision as Northern is also doing this. I have 2 thoughts. First, NSU fans (and I'm guessing all NSIC fans) are really going to have to pay attention to game times this season. The NSU men have home conference games starting at 4:00, 5:30, 6:00, and 7:30. Add in road games and non conference and there are several more game times as well. I'm not saying this is the end of the world, but I think there is something to be said for knowing that I can go to a game or turn on the NSIC network at a specific time and know the Wolves men will be playing.

Second, and probably more importantly, I think this will really hurt the environment for the end of women's games, at least at NSU. Some schools with very good women's teams may not feel it, but I know a lot of people will leave Wachs Arena after the men's game. In the past, you could get people that would come to see the second half or end of the women's game and if it was good there could be a decent environment. Now, it will be somewhat depressing to see so many people leave either while the women warm up, or at halftime.

Comment

Originally posted by Thunder View Post

This must be a league wide decision as Northern is also doing this. I have 2 thoughts. First, NSU fans (and I'm guessing all NSIC fans) are really going to have to pay attention to game times this season. The NSU men have home conference games starting at 4:00, 5:30, 6:00, and 7:30. Add in road games and non conference and there are several more game times as well. I'm not saying this is the end of the world, but I think there is something to be said for knowing that I can go to a game or turn on the NSIC network at a specific time and know the Wolves men will be playing.

Second, and probably more importantly, I think this will really hurt the environment for the end of women's games, at least at NSU. Some schools with very good women's teams may not feel it, but I know a lot of people will leave Wachs Arena after the men's game. In the past, you could get people that would come to see the second half or end of the women's game and if it was good there could be a decent environment. Now, it will be somewhat depressing to see so many people leave either while the women warm up, or at halftime.
      Exactly. This has been tried many times and it is always the same result. I know some get hurt that more don't watch women's as much as mens but that's just how it is. No one paid attention to my sport either but that doesn't mean you can make someone care more, it just is what it is.

I just can't imagine thinking it helps your squad get geared up by watching people leave as your game begins. Just silly

Comment

I don't know I would go that far. Washburn beat NW twice on NW home floor last year. NSU lost to NW on NSU home floor. If Geiman doesn't make a 3/4 court heave in the MIAA Tournament Championship then that NSU game is in Maryville and NW may not be in a position where they had to make a comeback like they did.

Comment

I think the league's hope is that people will stay for the start of the women's game, with hopes that a good first half will keep them engaged and want to stick around.

Comment

Originally posted by Stanger86 View Post

I think the league's hope is that people will stay for the start of the women's game, with hopes that a good first half will keep them engaged and want to stick around.
            That's a lovely thought. All I'm thinking is how happy I will be to get my kids home at a decent time for bed.

Comment

Not gonna do it.

Comment

Originally posted by MrAugustana View Post

That's a lovely thought. All I'm thinking is how happy I will be to get my kids home at a decent time for bed.
                Having thought about this some more, I also see some upside. My wife will be happy to learn she won't be a weekend "basketball widow" any more. Leaving around 7:30 means we can go out for supper on Friday nights.

Of course, if the Cats lose my mood may not be the best... Thankfully I don't think that will happen often this year.

Comment

It would work for me. When I make the drive down for WSU games, I try to make all of the women's game also, so maybe I am in the minority. But, if I were local to Winona, I would certainly stay for at least the first half of the women's game if it were second.

Comment

Originally posted by wsuguy87 View Post

It would work for me. When I make the drive down for WSU games, I try to make all of the women's game also, so maybe I am in the minority. But, if I were local to Winona, I would certainly stay for at least the first half of the women's game if it were second.
                    What's the appeal in watching the first half of a women's game? That's the worst half of any of the four halves in this discussion.

Now, if they could find a way to play the second half first, I'd stick around...

Comment

Originally posted by cat fan View Post

This is also "a thing" at Wayne this year, it appears. Looks like they are doing the first several conference weekends this way, but then switching to the traditional schedule in mid-January. Was this a league-wide decision? I'm, um...unenthused, especially for the early Friday starts. Saturday games are basically afternoon affairs either way.
                      Not a fan of women's games first, but whatever. Seems like they do whatever they can to irritate and turn fans away.

I get the idea of treating them the same, but the reality is most paying customers don't so all you do is make them wonder why.

Comment

100% correct, it will actually hurt the women's teams and atmosphere if the men play first. At SMSU , the crowd is smaller at the start, but generally it is a nice crowd for the second half of the women's games. Now, a lot of people will just leave right after them men's game. They think everyone will just stay around but they won't. 5 hours is a lot fo time for people to invest and they pick and choose what they do

Comment

Originally posted by NSU4LIFE View Post

Exactly. This has been tried many times and it is always the same result. I know some get hurt that more don't watch women's as much as mens but that's just how it is. No one paid attention to my sport either but that doesn't mean you can make someone care more, it just is what it is.

I just can't imagine thinking it helps your squad get geared up by watching people leave as your game begins. Just silly
                          100% correct. Trying to overthink things

Comment

yep

Comment

Originally posted by MrMustang View Post

100% correct, it will actually hurt the women's teams and atmosphere if the men play first. At SMSU , the crowd is smaller at the start, but generally it is a nice crowd for the second half of the women's games. Now, a lot of people will just leave right after them men's game. They think everyone will just stay around but they won't. 5 hours is a lot fo time for people to invest and they pick and choose what they do
                              You hit it on the head. Whenever they have tried this before, this was the result. Instead of having more people getting into a close game, they will leave. The women players that I have talked to in the past said that they preferred to play first.

Comment

What's the appeal in watching the first half of a women's game? That's the worst half of any of the four halves in this discussion.

Now, if they could find a way to play the second half first, I'd stick around...
                                It's basketball. And more importantly, it's Winona State basketball.

Comment

Ad3

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X