Support The Site!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Division I Exhibition Games

Arkansas Tech has scheduled Texas-Arlington for November 24. It's the palindrome game, ATU vs UTA.

Comment

Originally posted by Tech Boys View Post
      Arkansas Tech has scheduled Texas-Arlington for November 24. It's the palindrome game, ATU vs UTA.
      "A man, a plan, a canal- Panama."

Comment

Others from the GAC:

*Southeastern Oklahoma State at Oklahoma, Oct 29
        *Harding at Arkansas State, Oct 30
        *Arkansas-Monticello at Arkansas State, Nov 6

Henderson State, Oklahoma Baptist, Southwestern Oklahoma State, and Southern Arkansas do not have exhibitions scheduled.

East Central, Northwestern Oklahoma State, Ouachita Baptist, and Southern Nazarene have not posted schedules.

Comment

Mustangs about to tip it off at the Barn

Comment

Gophers lead 37-26 at the half. Game was 12-10 for about the first 9+ minutes before Minnesota started to break it open. Turnovers and foul trouble are the two biggest issues tonight for the Mustangs, but considering the opponent....

Comment

Comment

Final- Gophers 73, Mustangs 48

Comment

At least I can say I got to see my team on my first trip to the Barn. Absolutely a beautiful facility.

Sat across the arena from the gymnastics coach and we had a little fun over Twitter. He's a pretty awesome guy.

I don't know enough about the mechanics of basketball to provide any real insight... but this is what I think anyway:

First of all, the Gophers didn't seem to take the game *too* seriously in the beginning and that made them look sloppy. I had a clear view of Pitino and he was irked at various points in the game. I also think the Mustangs were trying way too hard to be physical, and it hurt them. They also had trouble getting good looks on offense.

After the 2014 game @ Nebraska, I still hold out hope that someday we can best a D1. Gophers would be the sweetest prize in my opinion. Even still, I didn't expect too much last night. It was still very enjoyable.

Comment

Originally posted by SW_Mustang View Post
                    At least I can say I got to see my team on my first trip to the Barn. Absolutely a beautiful facility.

Sat across the arena from the gymnastics coach and we had a little fun over Twitter. He's a pretty awesome guy.

After the 2014 game @ Nebraska, I still hold out hope that someday we can best a D1. Gophers would be the sweetest prize in my opinion. Even still, I didn't expect too much last night. It was still very enjoyable.
                    The Barn is unique. There is no other D1 building that I know that is like it. Vanderbilt is different- teams sit on the end lines. It is a home court advantage.

Mike Burns is a great guy. He shows up at all the Gopher games- football, mens and womens basketball- a real supporter. I went to a gymnastics meet against Cal just because of him.

Comment

Originally posted by laker View Post

The Barn is unique. There is no other D1 building that I know that is like it. Vanderbilt is different- teams sit on the end lines. It is a home court advantage.

Mike Burns is a great guy. He shows up at all the Gopher games- football, mens and womens basketball- a real supporter. I went to a gymnastics meet against Cal just because of him.

It's one of the oldest basketball venues in the entire world. It had a lot of that charm to it. I would love to go back when there is a bigger opponent, or on a weekend when I have more time to explore it. I'm happy I got to see my team play there first, though.

Coach Burns is awesome. I first met him 5 or 6 years ago, whenever they started the Gopher Road Trip. My buddy and I became his "fan club" over the years. We try to show up when we can. One of these days we're going to make it up for a gymnastics event. Every time we see him he's always ecstatic

Comment

It's one of the oldest basketball venues in the entire world. It had a lot of that charm to it. I would love to go back when there is a bigger opponent, or on a weekend when I have more time to explore it. I'm happy I got to see my team play there first, though.

Coach Burns is awesome. I first met him 5 or 6 years ago, whenever they started the Gopher Road Trip. My buddy and I became his "fan club" over the years. We try to show up when we can. One of these days we're going to make it up for a gymnastics event. Every time we see him he's always ecstatic
                        I first went to Williams in 1969. It was 41 at the time and seemed ancient. Now 50 years later it still stands.

Did Burns walk across the stage on his hands? He did at the Caravan in New Ulm and in Hutch. Amazing.

Comment

I've only been to the Barn a couple of times, once for an SMSU exhibition game 12 years ago (think it was Tubby's first year?) and another for a Marshall HS state game 5 years ago.

Comment

Originally posted by laker View Post

I first went to Williams in 1969. It was 41 at the time and seemed ancient. Now 50 years later it still stands.

Did Burns walk across the stage on his hands? He did at the Caravan in New Ulm and in Hutch. Amazing.
                            Yes! That's how it started, actually. The Gophers posted a photo of it to Facebook. It was a cool photo so I asked them if I could print it and have him sign it. I went to the Willmar stop that year as well to meet John Anderson and he signed it for me there. He was thrilled to say the least.

Intercollegiate basketball was born at Minnesota A&M, so it's fitting that the school's successor has one of the oldest arenas in the world. I think it's the only "Naismith" arena in the Upper Midwest - although the Corn Palace may count as well depending upon when it became a basketball arena.
                            Last edited by SW_Mustang; 10-30-2019, 05:30 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Stanger86 View Post

I've only been to the Barn a couple of times, once for an SMSU exhibition game 12 years ago (think it was Tubby's first year?) and another for a Marshall HS state game 5 years ago.
                              I'd like to go back when I can actually support the Gophers instead of the away team, although I'd certainly not complain if I got to see the Mustangs play there again. The building just felt "old." Not in a bad way, I mean the feeling of the age was genuine. I loved the high ceiling too.

I've wanted to see SMSU play a D1 for about as long as I've followed the team, and I've also missed every opportunity in that time (the ones against SDSU sting the worst), so I soaked this one in. With Nebraska gone and SDSU no longer scheduling us, Minnesota is the best bet I have for a while.

Comment

Upper Iowa drops game to Drake 95-88, UIU was up 4 with about 6 minutes left. Good showing - true freshman Jake Hilmer (Iowa player of year) has 20 points and 6 assists. Jareese Williams drops 23. Joe Smoldt only had 10 minutes - didn't listen to first half so guessing he got hurt - hopefully nothing serious. Good showing against Drake who I believe tied for conf. championship last year.

Comment

Ad3

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X