Support The Site!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• NSIC Message Boarders' 2021-22 Preseason Poll

While I haven't been as invested in the boards recently as I have in past years, we're getting to that point where the preseason coaches' poll is probably only a few weeks away.

With that in mind, I figured it was an ok time to start the thread for how we all think the preseason rankings' should be.

As usual, I know very little about what's happening besides what those of on the boards have already talked about some. For example, I know Moorhead should be the best team in the country, Wayne should continue to be good because they basically have everybody back, and Winona lost very good players in Lo Biondo and Taylor, so they're really hoping Owen King and Alou Dillon step up this year.

The rest of this is based on my random guesses. For example, I have no idea what to expect with Northern, but I know that until Augie reclaims its hold over NSU, Wolves fans will refer to the Pentagon as Wachs South at least a handful of times. I don't know what to expect with Duluth because Wieck has gotten some of the highest-ranked D2 recruits in Minnesota the past few years and I would assume they'll finish toward the top of the conference, but I also would've thought that last season and they finished 6th. In the North Division. I know SMSU will pride itself on hard-working players with a coach they adore, but I have no idea what to expect from them talent-wise. And I know Augie should be good, but the Vikings are very untested guard-wise and only have a few bigs with in-game experience (Dykman, Riemersma, and Tiedman), despite having several seniors on the roster. So we'll see on that.

So here are my mostly-un-thought-through rankings, which will almost inevitably be proven to be alarmingly inaccurate by the end of the season and will probably receive some level of "what are you thinking?!" from at least a few people in this thread.

1. Moorhead
    2. Wayne
    3. Mankato
    4. Northern
    5. Augie
    6. Duluth
    7. USF
    8. Upper Iowa (who always seems to finish higher than their preseason poll position, so they'll probably end up, like, 4th or whatever)
    9. St. Cloud
    10. Winona
    11. Bemidji
    12. SMSU
    13. CSP
    14. Mary
    15. Minot
    16. Crookston

MN State 3rd? At this point I'd take that.

Comment

Originally posted by MrAugustana View Post
      While I haven't been as invested in the boards recently as I have in past years, we're getting to that point where the preseason coaches' poll is probably only a few weeks away.

With that in mind, I figured it was an ok time to start the thread for how we all think the preseason rankings' should be.

As usual, I know very little about what's happening besides what those of on the boards have already talked about some. For example, I know Moorhead should be the best team in the country, Wayne should continue to be good because they basically have everybody back, and Winona lost very good players in Lo Biondo and Taylor, so they're really hoping Owen King and Alou Dillon step up this year.

The rest of this is based on my random guesses. For example, I have no idea what to expect with Northern, but I know that until Augie reclaims its hold over NSU, Wolves fans will refer to the Pentagon as Wachs South at least a handful of times. I don't know what to expect with Duluth because Wieck has gotten some of the highest-ranked D2 recruits in Minnesota the past few years and I would assume they'll finish toward the top of the conference, but I also would've thought that last season and they finished 6th. In the North Division. I know SMSU will pride itself on hard-working players with a coach they adore, but I have no idea what to expect from them talent-wise. And I know Augie should be good, but the Vikings are very untested guard-wise and only have a few bigs with in-game experience (Dykman, Riemersma, and Tiedman), despite having several seniors on the roster. So we'll see on that.

So here are my mostly-un-thought-through rankings, which will almost inevitably be proven to be alarmingly inaccurate by the end of the season and will probably receive some level of "what are you thinking?!" from at least a few people in this thread.

1. Moorhead
      2. Wayne
      3. Mankato
      4. Northern
      5. Augie
      6. Duluth
      7. USF
      8. Upper Iowa (who always seems to finish higher than their preseason poll position, so they'll probably end up, like, 4th or whatever)
      9. St. Cloud
      10. Winona
      11. Bemidji
      12. SMSU
      13. CSP
      14. Mary
      15. Minot
      16. Crookston
      I think you are definitely in the ballpark. Thinking you are overlooking Minot. They finished strong last year and half quality starting 5.

Comment

Originally posted by Moorhead123 View Post

I think you are definitely in the ballpark. Thinking you are overlooking Minot. They finished strong last year and half quality starting 5.
        Definitely true. And Minot seems to have a thing for giving Augie everything they have, so I probably shouldn't have given them bulletin board material. You could easily swap Minot with CSP until CSP shows us something new.

Comment

Originally posted by laker View Post
          MN State 3rd? At this point I'd take that.
          Here's my theory on Mankato this year:

1) They always manage to somehow be in or on the cusp of making the Regional most years (except the year Zack Romashko won Freshman of the Year... 2011 or something).

2) It seems that recently, in offseasons that they get highly-regarded D1 transfers (Juwan McClellan from Northern Iowa, for example), they haven't had the level of success expected of their talent...BUT...

3) This year, it's been really quiet on the western front when it comes to the Mavs, which actually makes me more nervous than if they had brought in 2-3 highly-regarded D1 guys who would all want minutes/points/etc. So I think they're going to sneak their way up toward the top this year.

Or they'll struggle and finish in the 6-7 range. But that's not overly common for Margs.

Comment

1. SMSU

2. Haven't spent enough time to see who will finish 2-15, although I think Wayne is good.

Comment

Comment

Originally posted by Moorhead123 View Post
                11. SMSU - return of Byers is important. Is pg play and 3 pt shooting strong enough to beat the top conference teams?
                Great point on the 3-point shooting. I honestly hadn't even thought about that. Losing both Nick and Kaden means we need to replace 57% of our made 3-pointers from a year ago.

Comment

Originally posted by Stanger86 View Post

Great point on the 3-point shooting. I honestly hadn't even thought about that. Losing both Nick and Kaden means we need to replace 57% of our made 3-pointers from a year ago.
                  Also recall that 3 point line moving back this year. Will be curious to see it percentages affected significantly or not.

Comment

Originally posted by MrAugustana View Post

Here's my theory on Mankato this year:

1) They always manage to somehow be in or on the cusp of making the Regional most years (except the year Zack Romashko won Freshman of the Year... 2011 or something).

2) It seems that recently, in offseasons that they get highly-regarded D1 transfers (Juwan McClellan from Northern Iowa, for example), they haven't had the level of success expected of their talent...BUT...

3) This year, it's been really quiet on the western front when it comes to the Mavs, which actually makes me more nervous than if they had brought in 2-3 highly-regarded D1 guys who would all want minutes/points/etc. So I think they're going to sneak their way up toward the top this year.

Or they'll struggle and finish in the 6-7 range. But that's not overly common for Margs.

Comment

Think this year will be very fun and looking forward to the season already, that being said here is my poll which will more than likely end up being nowhere near correct:

1) Moorhead
                      2) Wayne
                      3) Augie
                      4) NSU
                      5) Sioux Falls
                      6) Duluth
                      7) upper iowa
                      8) Mankato
                      9) St Cloud
                      10) Winona
                      11) Minot
                      12) SMSU
                      13) Bemidji
                      14) Concordia
                      15) Mary
                      16) Crookston

Comment

I'd like to be able to argue that WSU shouldn't be at 10 or 11 on these lists but it's hard to do that this year. The team does have experience back with Whitelow at the PG. He will be invaluable running the show offensively and being a great on-the-ball defender. If Dillon is a good to great DII player and King takes on more of a scoring role, this team could surprise some people.

The biggest question mark remains is how does the team compete with no bigs who have (any?) DII experience? Even if Dillon is a beast, he can't do it alone. Going to be counting on some true freshmen to work the boards and that's dangerous in the NSIC.

Comment

Originally posted by wsuguy87 View Post
                          I'd like to be able to argue that WSU shouldn't be at 10 or 11 on these lists but it's hard to do that this year. The team does have experience back with Whitelow at the PG. He will be invaluable running the show offensively and being a great on-the-ball defender. If Dillon is a good to great DII player and King takes on more of a scoring role, this team could surprise some people.

The biggest question mark remains is how does the team compete with no bigs who have (any?) DII experience? Even if Dillon is a beast, he can't do it alone. Going to be counting on some true freshmen to work the boards and that's dangerous in the NSIC.
                          I agree. On nights that shots fall, they will surprise some teams. It will be neat to see how the untested youth step up (I think I said that same thing last year). It is just hard to be excited in the preseason, but we are used to making a big deal out of the surprise wins!!

Comment

Originally posted by wsuguy87 View Post

Comment

Comment

Ad3

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X