Support The Site!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• All things Washburn Basketball 2019-20 season

Washburn goes to Kansas State in an exhibition game on Oct. 30th. Washburn and Missouri Southern open up their regular season in a MIAA/NSIC challenge in Kansas City's historic Municipal Auditorium Nov. 8th and 9th against Minnestota State-Mankato and Winona State. Washburn vs. Minnesota State at noon on the 8th followed by Missouri Southern vs. Winona State. On Saturday (Nov. 9th) the teams flip flop with Missouri Southern playing Minnesota State at noon followed by Washburn and Winona State at 2:15. Should be entertaining basketball. Not sure where the NSIC teams will be ranked but Missouri Southern will most likely be picked 2nd by the coaches in the MIAA and probably receive some first place votes as they have all 5 starters off of last year's team returning. Washburn lost more than Southern losing their two leading scorers off last year's team but they have a good nucleus back. They should be picked in the top third of the league by the coaches if I was to guess. It is always a good time especially playing in such a great venue (Municipal). I wish the season started tomorrow.

Comment

Observations for the Central Region Challenge games at Municipal Auditorium in Kansas City over the weekend: 1)Cam Martin is for real. He was dominant in the Mo. Southern's win over Winona (14 of 17 from the field). 2)Washburn will be a contender for the MIAA championship in 2019-20. They lost some key pieces but they had two nice wins over Minnesota St. and Winona St over the weekend. 3)Pitt St. is talented and will get better, and 4)it is a small sample size but it looks like the MIAA might be a little deeper than the NSIC this year.

I really like Mo. Southern's team. They are really good offensively with shooters all over the place and Martin is a beast in the middle. I think if they decide that they want to guard then they can beat NWMS. However, if they don't get better defensively then they will not overtake NWMS. They have the talent and they have the offensive fire power and they have the go to guy when they need a big bucket in Martin.

I was pleasantly suprised by Washburn. I am a Ichabod fan but they looked much better than what I thought they would, especially this early in then season. Their guard play is really good and they played exceptional team defense. The Ichabods shot poorly from the perimeter but still won both games. They have to get better inside and they need to rebound better but with their guard play (i.e. Geiman, Lewis, Maschoff and Thorne) coupled with their good team defense and I think Washburn contends with NWMS and Mo. Southern. I still think Washburn is slightly benind both NW and MSSU but by mid-season they may have a chance to win the MIAA.

Overall, it was a great event in KC at Municipal. Minn. St. took two tough losses but they are a really good team. I expect them to bounce back very nicely and be a NCAA tourney team participant. Winona St. is well coached and fundamentally sound. They lack some firepower and they have very little inside game. They were pick 5th or 6th in the NSIC preseason. I think that may be a stretch but they are going to win alot of games because they are smart and take care of the basketball.

Comment

Been a lurker on this board for a while, stepped up to comment, we will see how this goes. As a Winona State Fan, I am in for a tough season, I will square-up with that.

Observations for the Central Region Challenge games at Municipal Auditorium in Kansas City over the weekend: 1)Cam Martin is for real. He was dominant in the Mo. Southern's win over Winona (14 of 17 from the field). 2)Washburn will be a contender for the MIAA championship in 2019-20. They lost some key pieces but they had two nice wins over Minnesota St. and Winona St over the weekend.

Comment

Comment

Comment

Looking forward to the Washburn at MO Southern game on Sat afternoon in Joplin. MSSU is much more experienced and seasoned at this point in the season with all 5 starters back. Washburn has just one started returning and is depending on a lot of new players to contribute immediately. I expect the Ichabods to be scrappy and to battle but I expect the Lions to be a handful. See you in Joplin Mr. Wizard. I love your posts and your objectivity.

Comment

Comment

Comment

Some observations so far as far as WU is concerned, looks like they may be struggling to find themselves in the early part of the season. Would not surprise me to see MSSU with an easy win. Going to take some time to get WU playing as a team. But with their coach, I'm sure that will happen at some point in the season. Plenty to watch today, Bearcat football at noon, Bearcat basketball at 3. Full day. Good luck to all teams today.

Comment

Comment

Washburn looked much improved from the team I saw in Kansas City nearly a month ago. It just seemed like you had more weapons offensively. Clausing looked better on the offensive end, and you had more scoring contenders than just Geiman and Lewis.

BTW, I would give Geiman the go to shoot more often.

Anyway, I believe the Ichabods are going to live up to that top 3 MIAA billing the preseason polls gave them.

Comment

I agree with your analysis Mr Wizard. Geiman is our only returning Starter. McKee is out with an ACL. The McKee knee injury along with Witt leaving the program took away a lot of experience that we had returning. Clausing is getting better but he played sparingly last year behind Salach. I think we are getting better but we have 6 new players in our nine person rotation. Geiman is more of a playmaker. He can score but is more inclined to playmake than score. I like your team a lot. I like your new transfer that comes off the bench. Him along with Jennings and Big Ted gives you a solid 8. It will be interesting to see how this year plays out but you guys are going to be tough to beat. We will see you guys in Topeka later this season. Good luck the rest of the season.

Comment

Comment

Ad3

Collapse
                            Working...
                            X