Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

What Happened to the 2020-21 Bevo Francis Award Winner?

Collapse

Support The Site!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What Happened to the 2020-21 Bevo Francis Award Winner?

So what happened with the 2020-21 Bevo Francis Award last season? NW Trevor Hudgins won the NABC Division II Player Of The Year and the 2021 D2 Conference Commissioners Association Ron Lenz Player Of The Year Award, as well as earning All-American First Team and, of course All-MIAA Conference First Team, which was the third in a row for him. Just hit me that I never heard the results for the Bevo Francis Award for the top DII player for the 2020-21 season, even though I recall Trevor Hudgins being named a finalist. What the heck, I can't even Google that answer. Anyone? Anyone?

Originally posted by ZubCat81 View Post
    So what happened with the 2020-21 Bevo Francis Award last season? NW Trevor Hudgins won the NABC Division II Player Of The Year and the 2021 D2 Conference Commissioners Association Ron Lenz Player Of The Year Award, as well as earning All-American First Team and, of course All-MIAA Conference First Team, which was the third in a row for him. Just hit me that I never heard the results for the Bevo Francis Award for the top DII player for the 2020-21 season, even though I recall Trevor Hudgins being named a finalist. What the heck, I can't even Google that answer. Anyone? Anyone?
    Ryan Hawkins

Comment

Originally posted by Purple Mav Man View Post

Ryan Hawkins
      Is that your "should have been" answer?

Comment

They didn't have the award last season. Decided with Covid to skip the year.

Comment

Originally posted by mosoman View Post
          They didn't have the award last season. Decided with Covid to skip the year.
          I figured it might be something stupid like that. Seems 'odd' that they would allow the Bevo Francis Award for the best DII player to be awarded for the 2019-20 season during a year when the entire regular season was completed, only then to see the entire NCAA DII Playoffs cancelled due to Covid, which for NW players, coaching staff and fans was maybe just a tad bit aggravating after NW had completed a 31-1 regular season, including another MIAA Conference Championship. Again, even though Covid-19 had become such a threat to the public the NCAA DII Playoffs were cancelled, the Bevo Francis Award was still presented. NW players Trevor Hudgins and Ryan Hawkins were recognized as finalists, and the Bevo Francis was presented to another worthy individual. That's fine. But, now it's the 2020-21 season. How does it now make sense that for the 2020-21 season, when, again, the entire regular season is not only played out, but now we also see the NCAA DII Playoffs and National Championship game played out, which some say NW won fairly handily. Yet, for some odd reason it was then decided that the Bevo Francis Award for the best DII player was going to be cancelled and 'unfortunately' not be presented ... for what reason? Covid-19? At a time when it was actually a lesser concern to the public, as well as fewer restrictions being in place at a time when the Bevo Francis Award is presented than for the previous season when the Bevo Franicis Award was actually presented for that 2019-20 season? A simple ceremony, prestigious as it certainly is, had to be cancelled? What? They somehow can't recognize a Bevo Francis Award winner from their list of finalists? Did nobody stand out that they could come to a conclusion? Covid? Really? Nothing got in the way with the NABC recognizing their Player Of The Year. Same goes with the Conference Commissioner's Association Ron Lenz Player of the Year Award. Finally, nothing got in the way with the NCAA DII announcing their All-American teams. Not to forget, every single NCAA DII Conference found a way to recognize their 2020-21 All-Conference teams, as well as recognize their own 2020-21 Player of the Year. Congratulations to ALL of those players for their recognitions during that 2020-21 season.

Bevo Francis? Covid? Really?
          Last edited by ZubCat81; 12-24-2021, 02:03 AM.

Comment

Comment

I figured it might be something stupid like that. Seems 'odd' that they would allow the Bevo Francis Award for the best DII player to be awarded for the 2019-20 season during a year when the entire regular season was completed, only then to see the entire NCAA DII Playoffs cancelled due to Covid, which for NW players, coaching staff and fans was maybe just a tad bit aggravating after NW had completed a 31-1 regular season, including another MIAA Conference Championship. Again, even though Covid-19 had become such a threat to the public the NCAA DII Playoffs were cancelled, the Bevo Francis Award was still presented. NW players Trevor Hudgins and Ryan Hawkins were recognized as finalists, and the Bevo Francis was presented to another worthy individual. That's fine. But, now it's the 2020-21 season. How does it now make sense that for the 2020-21 season, when, again, the entire regular season is not only played out, but now we also see the NCAA DII Playoffs and National Championship game played out, which some say NW won fairly handily. Yet, for some odd reason it was then decided that the Bevo Francis Award for the best DII player was going to be cancelled and 'unfortunately' not be presented ... for what reason? Covid-19? At a time when it was actually a lesser concern to the public, as well as fewer restrictions being in place at a time when the Bevo Francis Award is presented than for the previous season when the Bevo Franicis Award was actually presented for that 2019-20 season? A simple ceremony, prestigious as it certainly is, had to be cancelled? What? They somehow can't recognize a Bevo Francis Award winner from their list of finalists? Did nobody stand out that they could come to a conclusion? Covid? Really? Nothing got in the way with the NABC recognizing their Player Of The Year. Same goes with the Conference Commissioner's Association Ron Lenz Player of the Year Award. Finally, nothing got in the way with the NCAA DII announcing their All-American teams. Not to forget, every single NCAA DII Conference found a way to recognize their 2020-21 All-Conference teams, as well as recognize their own 2020-21 Player of the Year. Congratulations to ALL of those players for their recognitions during that 2020-21 season.

Just to clarify, it's actually an award for the best small college basketball player, which includes D2, D3, NAIA, and the junior college/community college leagues.

Comment

Originally posted by MrAugustana View Post

Just to clarify, it's actually an award for the best small college basketball player, which includes D2, D3, NAIA, and the junior college/community college leagues.
                Yeah, I knew that. Just let my emotions get carried away after MisterWizard answered my question regarding the mysterious missing 2020-21 Bevo 'Psyco' Francis Award winner. And, truth be known, I obviously had my own understanding who I felt would have been deserving of the Bevo Francis Award ... naturally, in my opinion, a DII guy. Maybe I'm a bit prejudiced, but what do I know about D3 and NAIA? Anyway, I still think the award should be presented. You can't just 'blank out' or disregard an entire 2020-21 season. If the official ceremony can't happen, then absolutely let it be presented during a special halftime presentation at the player's school. The reception for such an event would be pretty darn special for the player honored.
                Last edited by ZubCat81; 12-24-2021, 09:06 PM.

Comment

Is that your "should have been" answer?

Comment

I'm not saying I agree with their decision not to give the award but I don't get your frustration. It's a regular season award and the entire regular season was played in 2019-20. All conferences that played had reduced regular seasons in 2020-21, most conferences had games cancelled and some didn't play at all.

Comment

https://www.ncaa.com/news/basketball...inline-article

Comment

That's all and well, but any small college award that was not bestowed upon Ryan Hawkins should be considered null and void.

Comment

Ad3

Collapse
                        Working...
                        X