Support The Site!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Week 5 of MIAA play

We are approaching the halfway point of the conference season. I hesitate to call this week's Thurs/Sat games as week 5. However, 3 teams have completed 4 weeks (8 games) and 7 teams have completed 3.5 weeks (7 games), so what the heck. Some monster games this week. The most intriguing is NWMS going on the road to play a 6-2 upstart in Emporia State on Sat and a 4-3 Washburn team that has had the first part of their schedule wrecked with injuries. NWMS had won 8 straight league regular season championships and they can put some distance between themselves and ESU and WU this week. I think MO West with only 2 conf. losses playing ESU on Thurs and WU on Sat can also push themselves into the top 2 or 3 in the conference if they can win both. Lastly, how good us UCO? We may find out this week with home games against in-state rivals NSU on Thurs and Rogers St. on Sat. Both NSU and Rogers are much improved and are coming off nice wins on Mon. The only other intriguing thing left is how much will Covid continue to jack up the season. MO Southern has only played 5 games and is supposed to play Pitt St. on Sat and Lincoln at FHSU along with their game at UNK have already been postponed. Let's hope that the Covid stuff gets better and not worse.

We have some guards having some incredible scoring averages in league play this year so far: Buchanan (ESU) and Hudgins (NWMS) averaging 26.8 and 24,5 in league play are blistering the nets. Simental (UNK) and Turner (ESU) are two more guards that are both averaging around 18 a game in league play as well. Also, the combo of Wade and Givens from UCO averaging 21 and 18.6 in league play is a pretty lethal combo. That combo along with Hammeke and Vitzum from FHSU both averaging over 16 a game give them a heck of scoring combo as well. As far as rebounding in conference--Vitzum (10), Wade (9.1), & Eames (9.0) continue to put up impressive numbers. Should be a fun last couple of months of the season

Just got the word. NWMS @Washburn Mens game has been postponed due to COVID within the NWMS mens program. No make-up date has been announced.

Comment

NWMSU @ ESU 01/08/22 also postponed-

Comment

The Washburn/NWMS womens game is also postponed due to COVID within the WU womens team. The WU women vs MO West on Sat is also postponed. As of now the WU men vs MO West is still on for Sat at 3.

Comment

NW women's game at ESU on Saturday also was postponed today. Unfortunate as I was planning on making the trip to see both teams play on Saturday.

Comment

We had rooms reserved at Topeka and Emporia-glad we had enough notice to get them canceled

Comment

Nice win for the Hornets on Thursday night 76-64 over Western. ESU played without their second leading scorer and returning All-MIAA guard Jumah'Ri Turner (COVID protocols) and was in control the entire second half.

If you get a chance you are going to want to watch Tray Buchanan. He's averaging 27 points a game to lead the nation and scored 33 against the Griffons.
              He has one of the quickest releases on his three that I've seen in the MIAA in a while. There is a clip of him last night on the baseline with Will Eames guarding him, Tray takes a look down to mae sure he is behind the 3pt line, takes one dribble for space and nails a three. He also takes it to the basket hard as he leads the nation in free throw makes and attempts.

Mayuom Buom is starting to come around as well. He had 15 last night and has been in double figures for three of the last four games.

Hornets are now 12-3 overall and 7-2 in the MIAA. It's their best start since the 2008-09 season.

Comment

Comment

Hard to tell...don't know if anyone else popped positive, how long it takes for the positive cases to test negative, how many were vaccinated and weren't...different protocols for those. I'm afraid it's going to be a crap shoot the rest of the season for everyone. Ugh...I think the MIAA allows you to play if you have 8 available.

Comment

Looks like there is going to be a lot of basketball in a short period of time. I will be very surprised if we can get the entire season in this year.

Comment

Originally posted by Thepeman View Post
                      Looks like there is going to be a lot of basketball in a short period of time. I will be very surprised if we can get the entire season in this year.
                      Depends on what schools are willing to do. Last year the entire MIAA schedule was played but it took some teams playing six games in five cities over ten days to get them all in.

Comment

NWMSU @ FHSU still on for 01/12(for now).
                        The ESU & WU games have been rescheduled. The teams will definitely be used to several games in a few days by the time they get to the Tourneys.

Comment

Ad3

Collapse
                        Working...
                        X