Support The Site!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by MrAugustana View Post

Fair enough. You know more than I would.

That being said, when it comes to a geographic fit where he can win, I think UNO only checks one of those two boxes. Then again, he's obviously a fantastic coach, so maybe he can make UNO a powerhouse in the Summit. But with SDSU and NDSU consistently at the top, USD always sniffing around as an almost-there, and St. Thomas poised to climb to the top within another 2-3 years, I think he'd have his work cut out for him at UNO, no matter how good he is.

Then again, I have no stake in the game. If he starts taking it to the Jackrabbits and Coyotes year-in and year-out with the Mavericks, I certainly won't complain.
    Agree on the winning part. Just saying UNO makes more sense than Milwaukee.

Comment

McCollum is a Storm Lake IA. native according to an Omaha sport talk radio show. Fairly close to Omaha.

Comment

UNO would be interesting, could McCollum make them into a contender in the Summit? Perhaps. I would think he could get even better jobs than that if he really wanted to. Now might be the time to make that jump though if he is going to lose his star PG. One has to wonder if Sather is regretting making the jump to UND as they were awful this year and his best player just entered the portal. McCollum is a better coach than Sather and I think UNO has better potential than UND, but it has to be somewhat a precautionary tale nonetheless.

Comment

Comment

Originally posted by Thunder View Post
            UNO would be interesting, could McCollum make them into a contender in the Summit? Perhaps. I would think he could get even better jobs than that if he really wanted to. Now might be the time to make that jump though if he is going to lose his star PG. One has to wonder if Sather is regretting making the jump to UND as they were awful this year and his best player just entered the portal. McCollum is a better coach than Sather and I think UNO has better potential than UND, but it has to be somewhat a precautionary tale nonetheless.
            It wasn't many years ago that Omaha was very competitive in the Summit. If they can't hang on to that stud freshman that is certainly something to build on.

I would think if Ben is going to take a gig that Milwaukee job is probably the better pay and better move up, but to each their own. I have no idea what he is looking for when even considering a move.

moment nothing but the best for Sather and crew. They had a decent start up there but since it just keeps getting worse. They had many move on after last season that hurt them, the kid who followed with him from his Northern commit to joing up on UND hasn't done much and now losing their stud freshman makes it quite difficult to overcome. I said before he took it how Northern was a better job and got some push back. I know it's D1 and I know it's better pay (which for most is what really matters) but having to contend with hockey, at a school that really hasn't been some power in hoops a d just doesn't have much of a following it just didn't seem like a true "step up" though I know it technically is.

I doubt he regrets it. I don't know him personally and I am not going to pretend to know how the basketball coaching fraternity thinks. Will people view it negatively if he moves back down? Will his recruiting ability be what it was when at BH and Northern? I would personally welcome him back with open arms if the Northern job opens again as would a ton of this fan base. As I said, I hope the best for him but this was a really rough year and it's going to take a lot to improve for next season.

Saul gave the vibe (and I have been told by wuite a few) that he is here and doesnt have the same drive of moving upward as a younger coach may have. I think the things he and his wife have dealt with have brought some sort of perspective to that but I mean, only he would be able to answer that. That said, I believe he would be a strong candidate for most any job. Sure we had studs and an unreal run, but to then lose our top four and have the season that the Wolves had was quite pleasing to say the least. Room to add on once again as a handful have chose to move on (only one that really played) and everyone back (if Bergan decides he want to keep playing) means they will only be stronger next year so a lot to look forward to.

Comment

Comment

Jeff Boschee going to pitt state!!

I think Sam McMahon is probably a leading candidate at Missouri Southern now with Jeff Boschee leaving to go to Pitt State. He was an assistant for like 6 years at southern previously. Another obvious candidate would be a promotion for Jamahl DePriest who is the current lead assistant coach at southern as he has a number of years as the top assistant at southern & previously at Newman.

Comment

Ben should just win another title and then take the K-State gig. I would never wish something so miserable on someone but I'm sure he'd listen to an offer, haha

Comment

[QUOTE=NSU4LIFE;n657968]

Comment

Originally posted by NSU4LIFE View Post
                      Ben should just win another title and then take the K-State gig. I would never wish something so miserable on someone but I'm sure he'd listen to an offer, haha
                      Add another gig I would never wish on someone to the opening list. USD let's go Todd Lee...

Comment

USD firing Todd Lee. The wording by Goodman leads one to believe something off the court may have happened.

https://twitter.com/GoodmanHoops/sta...-v7beNGhg&s=19

Comment

Todd Lee's salary at South Dakota was $276.475. Another school close to McCollum's hometown and a school that can win.

Comment

Can Ben play second fiddle to Creighton???

Comment

Article in the Argus Leader "speculated" on new hires at USD - named Saul Phillips, Tom Billiter, and Brooks McKowen. More of an opinion piece than actual candidacy (and the article does state that), but interesting to think about nonetheless.

Also, I chuckled at the part where a newspaper in South Dakota called Fayette, Iowa "the middle of absolute nowhere."

12 candidates to replace Todd Lee as South Dakota Coyotes basketball coach (msn.com)

Comment

Originally posted by SW_Mustang View Post
                                Article in the Argus Leader "speculated" on new hires at USD - named Saul Phillips, Tom Billiter, and Brooks McKowen. More of an opinion piece than actual candidacy (and the article does state that), but interesting to think about nonetheless.

Also, I chuckled at the part where a newspaper in South Dakota called Fayette, Iowa "the middle of absolute nowhere."

12 candidates to replace Todd Lee as South Dakota Coyotes basketball coach (msn.com)
                                Fayette is a nice town. Not far to bigger towns.

Dakota is full of "nowhere" which is exactly what makes it great. Sioux Falls sucks. Terrible traffic and very expensive.

Comment

Ad3

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X