Collapse

Support The Site!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Sounds like Msum coach to be named early next week.

Comment

• Crookston gonna Crookston

Comment

• One name who would be good for UMC is Darren Tighe at Mayville State.

Has worked his way up, coaching at literally every level below D2 (HS, JUCO, NAIA, D3). I think he would welcome the challenge in Crookston.

Comment

• Originally posted by Moorhead123 View Post
          Sounds like Msum coach to be named early next week.
          Bergstraser got it. Correct choice.

Comment

• Comment

• I'm on you side good buddy. :)

Comment

• Twitter rumors say it's all but a done deal that Ben is going to Evansville.

Comment

• Originally posted by NWHoops View Post
                  Twitter rumors say it's all but a done deal that Ben is going to Evansville.
                  Some of the recent press surrounding the Evansville Purple Aces program since the HC and his entire staff were fired May 5. Evansville won 7 games last year.

(note: the links to the articles are below, but afterwards I also did a copy and paste of the actual articles in case there were any "subscription" issues to those links)

University of Evansville Men's Basketball Coach Search May 16, 2022
                  https://www.courierpress.com/story/s...ch/9794296002/

Where The Evansville Men's Basketball Roster Stands Amid A Coach Change May 16, 2022 (huge challenges here ... HUGE!)
                  https://www.courierpress.com/story/s...ge/9553347002/

University of Evansville AD: 'Significant interest' In Men's Basketball Coach Search

Chad Lindskog
                  Evansville Courier & Press

Evansville men's basketball: Where the roster stands amid a coaching change

When will UE hire a new head coach?What we know about the candidates involvedEvansville Purple Aces: Here's a list of potential replacements for head coach

So, without sharing any names, he said they include some the entire basketball world knows. He added that many individuals have ties to Evansville. He also said TurnkeyZRG returned 60 calls to candidates in one day, reaffirming the level of interest.

Siegfried knows importance of the decisionChad Lindskog is the sports editor of the Courier & Press. You can contact him by email, [email protected], or on Twitter: @chadlindskog.

Where The Evansville Men's Basketball Roster Stands Amid A Coaching Change

Chad Lindskog
                  Evansville Courier & Press

Todd Lickliter and the entire staff were fired May 5 unexpectedly, leaving UE and South Carolina State as the only openings. The timing is awkward because the previous staff already signed at least four incoming players. It's also unknown if anyone else will pursue an NCAA waiver to transfer after five others left since March.

Meanwhile, UE and the search firm TurnkeyZRG have begun interviewing candidates to take over the Purple Aces. Perhaps that announcement will come later this week. Little information about the search has leaked otherwise.

So, for now, let's take a look at where the roster stands for the next staff.

Evansville Purple Aces: Here's a list of potential replacements for head coach
                  Departures

Of the nearly 1,700 Division I players in the NCAA transfer portal, six left the Aces.

Shamar Givance ? UTEPJawaun Newton ? Southern IllinoisBlake Sisley ? Wright State: It took less than a week for Sisley to unexpectedly flip from the Aces to the Raiders, who made the NCAA tournament last season. The Heritage Hills graduate was the Aces' only player to earn All-MVC honors, on the All-Freshman Team.

Iyen Enaruna ? Fort Hays StateTroy Boynton ? South CarolinaEmmette Page ? TBD

Returners

Five scholarship players remain and they all appear committed to the program's long-term future, embracing an opportunity to be the core that turns UE around.
                  • Trey Hall: The 6-9 big redshirted this past year after playing 19 games as a freshman. He has four years of eligibility remaining.
                  • Preston Phillips: UE's other big at 6-8 started 15 games as a freshman, averaging 2.3 points and four rebounds. He has three years left.
                  • Antoine Smith Jr.: While his playing time decreased during conference play, Smith Jr. started nine games and led the Aces in 3-point percentage at 44%. He'll be a senior.
                  • Blaise Beauchamp: The wiry, 6-3 sharpshooter thrived down the stretch as he started nine of the final 10 games. He made a team-best 44 3-pointers. He should have three years remaining.
                  • Gage Bobe: He reportedly received a scholarship last week after spending three years as a walk-on. The 6-foot guard averaged 14 minutes off the bench in 23 appearances last season and will be a senior.
                  • Walk-on Grant Tichenor also remains on the roster but did not play as a freshman.

UE needs to replace five of its six top scorers from a team that went 6-24 and averaged the fifth-fewest points in Division I. Returners announced for just 33% of the overall minutes played.

Todd Lickliter: 3 takeaways from UE's decision to fire its men's basketball coach

Newcomers

UE has announced four players who've signed National Letters of Intent while one other publicly committed. If everyone stays on board for the new coach, the Aces should have three open scholarships still.

In recent years, they've also left one open and it proved to be beneficial, such as when Nebraska transfer Samari Curtis joined the program midseason.

Evansville men's basketball: Men's basketball signs three as roster rebuild continues

Here's a refresher on those who committed to Lickliter:

Sekou Kalle, 6-10 forward: The Akron transfer was the most recent to announce his commitment, though UE never confirmed if it received paperwork before the coaching change. It's unknown if he's signed an NLI. Kalle was a Kentucky All-Star in 2021 at DeSales High School. He once held offers from Rutgers and UCLA, but he only played 13 minutes in six appearances with the Zips, who made the NCAA tournament.

Matthew Ragsdale, 6-4 guard: He averaged 21.5 points on 45% shooting at D-II Western Colorado last season, earning second-team all-region and first-team all-conference honors. Ragsdale reportedly re-opened his recruitment after the coaching change. UE announced his signing the day before the staff was fired.

Christopher Moncrief, 6-6 guard: He averaged 19 points and 7.2 rebounds this past season at The Kiski School, a Pennsylvania prep school in the Pittsburgh area. His father wrote the following to the Courier & Press: "WE ARE STILL COMMITTED!! Christopher is still motivated to help bring a championship to UE!! I hope the new head coach and staff accept us!"

Zaveion Chism-Okoh, 6-3 guard: He spent this past season at Link Year Prep in Missouri, which is where UE forward Trey Hall attended. Chism-Okoh is originally from Mount Pleasant, Texas, where he averaged 13.6 points and 2.6 steals as a senior, earning all-state honors and leading his team to a 27-1 record.

Logan McIntire, 6-4 guard: The first member of the 2022 recruiting class committed last August and signed in November. The 6-foot-4, in-state recruit averaged 21.9 points, 6.7 rebounds and 2.8 steals for North Harrison High School, where he won a sectional title.

Chad Lindskog is the sports editor of the Courier & Press. You can contact him by email, [email protected], or on Twitter: @chadlindskog.
                  Last edited by ZubCat81; 05-19-2022, 08:40 PM.

Comment

• I hate to lose Ben but we all knew it would happen eventually. Good luck to Ben @ UE if this comes to pass.

Comment

• Seems like a low risk / high reward hire for Evansville. Not sure the same can be said from Ben's side about low risk, but it could be extremely high reward in the future if he is able to turn that program around. From what I can tell, the last 2 coaches were in that 260k to 280k range... that might be a pay cut after you factor in what Ben get's from the foundation on top of his salary. That said, I can see Evansville as being an attractive job, because it could/should be a recruiting hotbed being somewhat located in the middle of St. Louis, Indianapolis, Chicago, Memphis, Louisville, Cincinnati, etc. They also have some of, if not the best basketball facilities in the Valley. We all know Ben has been pretty successful at the Ford Center.

If it happens, the timing kind of sucks for Northwest, but there's not really anyone to fault for that other than Evansville for waiting until May to fire their coach.

Comment

• Comment

• Comment

• Comment

• Is this official? Nothing on either website.

Comment

• Originally posted by NWFanatic View Post
                                Is this official? Nothing on either website.
                                I'm hearing nothing on this front except right here I think the first I saw it was you posting you saw stuff on Twitter? I've asked around and nobody I've talked with even had this on the radar. But I'm still checking.

Comment

Ad3

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X