Support The Site!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• WAY TOO EARLY 2022-23 Predictions

Well, it's about time for the board to die down until recruiting season heats up in a few months. Every year around this time I tell myself, "This should be the year I take a break from the boards and quit spending so much time on them" and I do that for a month or two and then you shmoes suck me back in.

That being said, for those of us who do plan to keep checking the boards for at least another season, I figured we can do some way too early predictions for anyone who wants to. Keep in mind that the transfer portal is always looming (both ways), so this thread is mostly based on incomplete information. But it's gotta be better than sitting around with no new posts to view for two weeks.

So...what are you guys thinking? I don't care if it's NSIC-only or if we make it a region-wide thread. Here are a few starter questions off the top of my head:

1) What does NWMSU look like next season, both on the court and on the sidelines? (This question assumes it's not an NSIC-only thread, obviously.)

2) Will Moorhead be smart enough to hire Moorhead123 and St. Cloud insane enough to hire simple as a $3 bill to fill their coaching vacancies? If not, who steps in at both schools?

3) Will Duluth get everyone to come back, and, if so, will they utterly dominate the NSIC next year?

4) Will Augie have enough talent with their young players (specifically the bigs) to compete right away?

5) Will Upper Iowa have guys to fill the shoes of Smoldt, Williams, and oldest Duax effectively enough to stay near the top of the conference?

6) Who are the sleeper teams in the NSIC? Do we expect a big jump from Concordia (saw they've landed a few incoming transfers already)? Will the Wolves reclaim their grip on the top of the NSIC North? Will Mankato be back to "good enough to sneak into the Regional even if it seems impossible" status again?

I'll throw some more questions out as I think of them. I'm curious to hear what us wise and all-knowing fans think.

I would expect Northwest to, like a Hudgins 3 pointer, take a step back next year. Isaiah Jackson is really the only proven ball handling guard that we have returning and he really needs to develop a jumper that has to be honored by opponents. We have some nice pieces with Dreamer, Waters, Jackson, Alexander, Abreau and Mascari coming back. Mascari was a little up and down with his play and his minutes, but he did come up big at times when we needed him to and I really believe that Abreau can become a really good player. I feel like Moostaukis will be a legitimate scorer for us as well, but our success is going to hinge on replacing that guard play that we've had the last several years. We have a PG coming from just outside of Chicago, but it's anyone's guess as if he'll be ready for this level. I wonder if we'll try to reach into the portal for an experienced guard in order to not put that kind of pressure on him... Pitts and Hudgins both being able to redshirt was a nice way to groom them.

Maybe the biggest question that remains unanswered is whether or not Ben moves on.... I would think it would be hard for him to find a better time than now if the right opportunity presents itself. If he does move on, where do the Bearcats turn? Our top assistant was playing on the 2017 team, so would we bring in someone from the outside? Would Austin Meyer want or try to move back over to the men's side? Lots of 'who the hell knows' in Maryville right now.... Just going to bask in the glory for a few months before the worry sets in.
    Last edited by Alfred33; 03-28-2022, 10:58 AM.

Comment

Across the NSIC, the coaching changes are probably going to be the most interesting offseason development. St. Cloud and Moorhead are two of the better programs in the league, so will their hires be able to keep the success going or will there be a dip?

The next development will of course be the continued monitoring of the transfer portal. Who else leaves and who comes in? How long do the teams take to gel? A program like Mankato could actually have a leg up here because Margs is used to guys coming in and out more than the average NSIC program.

Closer to home here, I'm hopeful it will be business as normal for the Mustangs. We turned a nice little corner last year with Phipps and Omot. Byers will be missed of course, but I think the staff is really excited about this incoming class making an immediate impact. We had two big holes this year, post depth and PG. We should have much better length available next year at the 4/5, and I've heard good things about the PG. Not trying to make a career projection, but I feel some similarities to the way Bigler was talking up Bruggeman while he was redshirting. I'm hopeful for a better record than we had this year

Comment

Ben was on 810 Sports Radio in KC today and essentially said if a can't turn it down, good mid-major or better job comes along then he will have to seriously look at taking it. Said he wasn't just looking for the next job so he can get the next one after that and so on. Talked about recognizing how good he has it at NW and it will take something special for him to leave but realizes it will probably be a risk for an AD to hire a D2 coach at the type of program he would be willing to leave NW for.

Not really sure what else he is supposed to say in the situation so interpret as you see fit.

Comment

Originally posted by NWHoops View Post
          Ben was on 810 Sports Radio in KC today and essentially said if a can't turn it down, good mid-major or better job comes along then he will have to seriously look at taking it. Said he wasn't just looking for the next job so he can get the next one after that and so on. Talked about recognizing how good he has it at NW and it will take something special for him to leave but realizes it will probably be a risk for an AD to hire a D2 coach at the type of program he would be willing to leave NW for.

Not really sure what else he is supposed to say in the situation so interpret as you see fit.
          i think at this point it's pretty obv he's turned some ppl down & is at the very least to some degree being selective beyond just taking a d1 gig. he's had too much success to have not been courted & offered by nobody.

& now knowing his salary in maryville, mo he can afford to be
          Go Bearcats!
          M-I-Z-Z-O-U!

Comment

Comment

Comment

My thoughts are similar to Moorhead123, we will see Moorhead and Duluth at the top again (barring no unexpected transfers, of course). Those 2 are really deep and don't really lose anyone, northern will of course compete but other than that I'm not sure if the north will be too competitive with St. Cloud losing everyone and Mary losing Huntsberry among others, Minot loses Cody and Dwyer, Bemidji loses Thompson and some other important pieces, and who knows with Crookston. The south should be headed again by Upper Iowa if they can replace Williams and Smoldt that is. Another team that could be up there again is Wayne, who knows what guys or how many for them come back, southwest has good pieces returning and could be up there, as well as Winona. Sioux Falls right now is interesting as we lost those three important seniors and had 3-4 other transfers who played at least some minutes. Augustana will also be interesting as they lose a lot but seem to have a good freshman class incoming but if not could be in some trouble.

Comment

Originally posted by Coo Fan View Post
                  My thoughts are similar to Moorhead123, we will see Moorhead and Duluth at the top again (barring no unexpected transfers, of course). Those 2 are really deep and don't really lose anyone, northern will of course compete but other than that I'm not sure if the north will be too competitive with St. Cloud losing everyone and Mary losing Huntsberry among others, Minot loses Cody and Dwyer, Bemidji loses Thompson and some other important pieces, and who knows with Crookston. The south should be headed again by Upper Iowa if they can replace Williams and Smoldt that is. Another team that could be up there again is Wayne, who knows what guys or how many for them come back, southwest has good pieces returning and could be up there, as well as Winona. Sioux Falls right now is interesting as we lost those three important seniors and had 3-4 other transfers who played at least some minutes. Augustana will also be interesting as they lose a lot but seem to have a good freshman class incoming but if not could be in some trouble.
                  In theory, Janssen, Eagins, Mohr, Saunders, Millender, and McCullough all return. It's a very solid core, and the vast majority of the team's scoring. Dentlinger will be the biggest loss to graduation, although Thayer also provided some valuable minutes. LaFave entered the transfer portal this week, which surprised me a little as he would have been in line to get some of the available minutes. Shawn Stokes should also be back, and I would expect his minutes to increase as he showed flashes of scoring ability last year. There are also some young guys who may be ready to step up for more minutes.

As the roster stands now Wayne's rotation will be undersized, featuring far more guards than bigs. Dentlinger's rebounding and interior defense will be missed. I'd be a little surprised if we didn't bring in another big guy who is ready to play right away.

Comment

Originally posted by cat fan View Post

In theory, Janssen, Eagins, Mohr, Saunders, Millender, and McCullough all return. It's a very solid core, and the vast majority of the team's scoring. Dentlinger will be the biggest loss to graduation, although Thayer also provided some valuable minutes. LaFave entered the transfer portal this week, which surprised me a little as he would have been in line to get some of the available minutes. Shawn Stokes should also be back, and I would expect his minutes to increase as he showed flashes of scoring ability last year. There are also some young guys who may be ready to step up for more minutes.

As the roster stands now Wayne's rotation will be undersized, featuring far more guards than bigs. Dentlinger's rebounding and interior defense will be missed. I'd be a little surprised if we didn't bring in another big guy who is ready to play right away.
                    I did overlook Wayne. Their core is solid and should also be in the mix next year as well.

Comment

The big question for Moorhead surrounds the coaching change. I think people hope talent overcomes something like that, but it isn't always the case.

Comment

Originally posted by Stanger86 View Post

The big question for Moorhead surrounds the coaching change. I think people hope talent overcomes something like that, but it isn't always the case.
                        That is a big question. I am assuming that the new hire will be able to coach a bit. I do believe keeping the core players is even more important.

Comment

Originally posted by Moorhead123 View Post

That is a big question. I am assuming that the new hire will be able to coach a bit. I do believe keeping the core players is even more important.

Comment

Originally posted by northwest missouri state View Post

i think at this point it's pretty obv he's turned some ppl down & is at the very least to some degree being selective beyond just taking a d1 gig. he's had too much success to have not been courted & offered by nobody.

& now knowing his salary in maryville, mo he can afford to be
                            He's definitely turned jobs down, but at some point you can be too picky. Would love to see how he does at a D1 program.

Comment

Originally posted by BackdoorCut View Post

He's definitely turned jobs down, but at some point you can be too picky. Would love to see how he does at a D1 program.
                              Why does he have to stop being too picky? Lower level D1 jobs don't offer life changing money, most are not much more than what he's getting at NW (especially when you compare cost of living differences). If he takes a low level D1 job he goes into one of two situations...the coach was very successful and moved up...he'll have to do better than that coach did...probably within 2 years. Or the coach got run for losing and he'll have to turn it around in 2 years (he may get a 5 year contract, once again, not life changing money) if he doesn't accomplish that do they run him after 2 years and he's back to D2 or an assistant job...how many D2 programs pay what he's making?

Of course it could be he wants that challenge of winning at D1, but from all I've heard him say and what I've heard, he's happy at NW, has a son who was on the varsity BB team as a freshman...harder to leave when kids are in HS and he's got two more heading that way. Lots of reasons to stay too. I'd hope at some point NW will do something similar with him that they did with Coach T to reward him!

Comment

Ad3

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X