Support The Site!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by MrAugustana View Post
    SMSU fans—who will the Mustangs be relying on besides skinny 3-point shooter kid whose name I can't remember?
    1. It's Dunwa Omot (So.).
    2. Jake Phipps (Jr.) is the other player most casual fans have a chance of remembering.
    3. The roster as a whole is pretty young. One senior and three juniors are the veterans of the group. The rest of the roster includes 6 sophomores, 4 redshirt freshmen and 3 true freshmen. I think one has a chance to play as a true freshman (Mason Lund).

Comment

Wayne fans—you've got Ferrarini back...who else will help the Wildcats reach the level they were at two years ago?
      On paper, this may be Kaminsky's best squad. It certainly projects to be his deepest squad on the perimeter. I don't want to downplay Dentlinger's graduation, because he was a real difference-maker on defense. However all of the young guards are a year older and stronger, Janssen is healthy (hopefully), and significant talent has been added.

Ferrarini is remembered by most on this board. Theoretically a couple of years going against Summit League foes has improved his game. Could he slide into a forward spot? There are already four guards (Eagins, Mohr, Millender, and Saunders) accustomed to playing a lot of minutes. Sean Stokes had some good moments last year too at the guard spot.

Another significant addition is transfer forward Elijah Watson, who started most of the time for West Liberty two years ago. He might get a lot of Dentlinger's minutes.

Highly touted freshmen recruits were also added. David Harmon comes from a powerhouse program and was the best guard on Millard North's state champion team last year. I also hear good things about James Ogrodnik, a big kid from the Chicago suburbs. Of course, the disclaimer....they are freshmen, and until they show they have learned to play college-level defense it is hard to know how much they will play this year. You just never know how much freshmen will contribute.

So yes, we are optimistic. It should be a fun year!

Comment

Jordan Riewer just did a spittake somewhere.
        Riewer was terrific, but the rest of backcourt not as good. Baumgartner, McGhee, Kaiser, Beeninga and Myren better as a group.

Comment

Originally posted by cat fan View Post
          On paper, this may be Kaminsky's best squad. It certainly projects to be his deepest squad on the perimeter. I don't want to downplay Dentlinger's graduation, because he was a real difference-maker on defense. However all of the young guards are a year older and stronger, Janssen is healthy (hopefully), and significant talent has been added.

Ferrarini is remembered by most on this board. Theoretically a couple of years going against Summit League foes has improved his game. Could he slide into a forward spot? There are already four guards (Eagins, Mohr, Millender, and Saunders) accustomed to playing a lot of minutes. Sean Stokes had some good moments last year too at the guard spot.

Another significant addition is transfer forward Elijah Watson, who started most of the time for West Liberty two years ago. He might get a lot of Dentlinger's minutes.

Highly touted freshmen recruits were also added. David Harmon comes from a powerhouse program and was the best guard on Millard North's state champion team last year. I also hear good things about James Ogrodnik, a big kid from the Chicago suburbs. Of course, the disclaimer....they are freshmen, and until they show they have learned to play college-level defense it is hard to know how much they will play this year. You just never know how much freshmen will contribute.

Wayne could definitely be pretty salty. They do face an interesting potential logjam at the guard spot as you mentioned, but they definitely have talent and I think Kaminsky is a good coach. Wayne is about the only team in the conference I can stand being good if Augie does have a down year. That being said, I'd prefer the Vikings stay near the top again this season. :)

Comment

Originally posted by cat fan View Post

Kaminsky has those guys play hard with great effort and intensity so they will be a force to reckoned with. Good coach.

Comment

Originally posted by MrMustang View Post

Kaminsky has those guys play hard with great effort and intensity so they will be a force to reckoned with. Good coach.
              Agreed.

I haven’t looked at stats from prior years but it seems to me that Wayne always one of better defensive teams in nsic, but maybe not quite as strong on offense as some of the top teams nsic. Looks like they have some depth and plenty of veteran players returning this year. If they get their offense going a bit, I could definitely see Wayne having good season this year.

Comment

I’m bored so will ease into 2022-2023 predictions with the nsic conference tiered technique that we’ve all grown to love over the years.

Tier 1 - are the predicted top teams in conference with legitimate shot of making regional at season’s end.

Duluth - Most of team back form last year. Expect Duluth to be nationally ranked in preseason, maybe even ranked in top 10 in country. Loaded starting 5. May have legitimate national championship type aspirations if they stay healthy and find a few bench guys to add to starters. Can Duluth keep all their players next year? Will some of their top guys get the d1 itch?

MSUM - Similar analysis to Duluth. Not sure starting 5 quite as strong as UMD, but msum probably 8-9 deep where Duluth maybe only 6-7 deep. Which big guys step up this season?

NSU - Can Moni take another step forward this season? Madsen, Belka and Moni are very solid. What other guys step forward to fill remaining roles?

Wayne - Veteran team. We know they will play hard, can they score with top teams in the league?

UIU - Plenty of talent returning. Can they replace the 3 point shooting of Williams and smoldt?

Tier 2 - teams potentially knocking at door of preseason favorites

Mankato - always have plenty of talent on paper. Can coaching staff get new guys on same page with returning players? Is MSU going to play Kramer extended minutes or go more perimeter oriented with some smaller athletes?

Augustana - maybe a year premature with all the youth, but I think the transfers look solid.

SMSU - pretty good balance between inside and outside play. How will team handle slightly higher expectations this season?

Tier 3 - teams have some talent, but maybe more questions than answers in preseason

USF - Backcourt in good shape. Is Cartwright healthy? If so, possibly tier 2 team.

Mary - Has a number of veterans. How do they replace loss of scoring from Huntsberry?

Minot St. - Lost a lot from last season, but have some good guards returning. Who will handle the paint?

SCSU - Backcourt in pretty good shape. Need some bigs to step up.

Winona - Many questions with this team, as evidenced by fact that WSU hasn’t even released the updated roster on their website yet. Can Channel produce offensively right away?

BSU - have some size and quality guards. Do they have enough perimeter shooting to move up the list?

Tier 4 - teams rebuilding

CSP - second year with new coach. I wouldn’t be surprised with some signs of improvement from this team in year 2.

Crookston - whole new team it appears. Assume growing pains.
                Last edited by Moorhead123; 09-30-2022, 06:25 AM.

Comment

umd 22 0 12 5
                  northern 17 5 14 3
                  moorhead 15 7 13 4
                  scsu 10 12 4 13
                  um 7 15 7 10
                  minot 6 16 6 11
                  bsu 3 19 10 7
                  umc 1 21 1 16
                  south w l
                  au 20 2 7 10
                  upper 19 3 10 7
                  wsc 15 7 11 6
                  winona 15 7 7 10
                  msu 9 13 8 9
                  usf 7 15 11 6
                  smsu 6 16 10 7
                  csp 1 21 5 12
                  Record wise, I'm off but placement was close. Augie, SW, Bemidji, sioux falls, winona were my biggest blunders

Comment

Originally posted by debergfan View Post
                    umd 22 0 12 5
                    northern 17 5 14 3
                    moorhead 15 7 13 4
                    scsu 10 12 4 13
                    um 7 15 7 10
                    minot 6 16 6 11
                    bsu 3 19 10 7
                    umc 1 21 1 16
                    south w l
                    au 20 2 7 10
                    upper 19 3 10 7
                    wsc 15 7 11 6
                    winona 15 7 7 10
                    msu 9 13 8 9
                    usf 7 15 11 6
                    smsu 6 16 10 7
                    csp 1 21 5 12
                    Record wise, I'm off but placement was close. Augie, SW, Bemidji, sioux falls, winona were my biggest blunders
                    Add in BSU and SCSU and that’s almost half the conference. Good job.

Comment

Originally posted by Thunder View Post

Add in BSU and SCSU and that’s almost half the conference. Good job.
                      Pretty good in horseshoes or hand grenades

Comment

Ad3

Collapse
                      Working...
                      X