• Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Hypothetical Team Time Warp - Best Match-up

Example: Example:
    Winona between 2006-2008
    vs
    Augustana 2015-2016

I have a gut feeling this won't be close, but just for fun...

SMSU, 2000-01 vs. 2008-09
    PG: Pena vs. Krome
    SG: Fahl vs. Beilke
    SF: Preusse vs. Andrews
    PF: S. Koenen vs. Huseby
    C: C. Koenen vs. DeMasi

Bench: Zanders/DeRock/Peschong/Roehl/Dale vs. Bigler/Tesch/Miller/Wiersma/Johnson

My reaction: Possibly the greatest trait of the 2008-09 group was the depth and cohesion, but honestly, that 2000-01 group had pretty good depth as well. And as good as DeMasi was as his group's star player, I'm not sure he would have the upper hand in this matchup.

Comment

Originally posted by Purple Mav Man View Post
      Example: Example:
      Winona between 2006-2008
      vs
      Augustana 2015-2016
      Technically matchup 2 is NA as Winona was all alone in the NSIC. I believe the NCC breakup came after the run. The Northern Sun was viewed as a very weak sister prior to WSU putting them on the map.

Comment

Originally posted by DapperDan View Post

Technically matchup 2 is NA as Winona was all alone in the NSIC. I believe the NCC breakup came after the run. The Northern Sun was viewed as a very weak sister prior to WSU putting them on the map.

Comment

My Time-Warp tournament for Northern ended up being a final four, with a play-in game. NSU has had had 5 coaches over about the last 75 years. Coach Wachs was a little before my time, so I wanted to have one team from each of the other 4.

Coach Olsen needs the play-in game to determine his team. The mid 90's saw an amazing NAIA run from NSU, making the championship game twice and the Final Four a third time. Any one of those teams would be formidable led by all-time leading scorer Eric Kline and Kevin Burckhard. They would match up with the 97-98 team lead by Ryan Miller. Miller was probably the most confident player to ever don a Wolves uniform and the legend of him taking down the Jackrabbits in the regional championship will live forever in Aberdeen.

Coach Meyer's best team actually never made it to the Elite 8 all thanks to "bleeping John Smith" and Winona. The 07-08 team lost 4 games...all to the Warriors. The balanced attack was led by Kevin Ratzsch and Levi Hamilton. Admittedly, this would probably be the weakest of the 5 teams.

Coach Sather's 17-18 National Runner-Up squad would be the favorite. They were so balanced with Ian Smith, DJ Pollard, Darin Peterka, Gabe King, Logan Doyle, Carter Evans, and Bo Fries. Ian became the star in that year's magical run that ended up one bucket short.

Perhaps the most fun group would be Coach Phillips' 20-21 team. Parker Fox is the best athlete to ever play at NSU and would pose huge problems for any of the other teams. Mason Stark was an effective scorer as well. A matchup of this team vs. 92-93 would be wildly entertaining.

Comment

2016-17 vs. 2020-21
            G: Justin Pitts vs. Trevor Hudgens
            G: Anthony Woods vs. Diego Bernard
            F: Chris Ebou-Ndow vs. Luke Waters
            F: Zach Snyder vs. Ryan Hawkins
            F: Bret Dougherty vs. Wes Dreamer

Bench:

16-17 Welty/Mosby/Kurth
            20-21 Alexander/Jackson/Abreau

At first glance, the 20-21 team jumps out at me as being stronger, but that could be recency bias. The longer I look, there are things about the 16-17 team that warrant a longer discussion. Both teams, as with all Mac teams, defend well. Pitts and Hudgins probably wouldn't even guard each other. The 21 team has two guys that are going to consistently get 19 to 20 points a game and all 5 guys are capable of filling it up on a given night. The 16-17 team didn't quite have that same scoring punch, but was more veteran, bigger, and deeper. Ryan Welty shot an absurd 67% from 3 point range that season. Mosby was Hawkins with the energy, defense, and rebounds, and Kurth was a good player. 8 guys from that team averaged at least 15 minutes. Only 6 averaged 10 minutes on the 21 team, however, Alexander was playing the best basketball he's played here at the end of that season before his ankle injury. I think it's a dog fight, but I still give a slight edge to the scoring capabilities of the 20-21 team.
            Last edited by Alfred33; 04-02-2022, 08:07 AM.

Comment

Comment

I've waited to jump in on this because I'm sure Augieholic will have significantly better analysis of this than I can offer, but I'll throw out some thoughts either way for anyone who cares to read them.

For starters, it's pretty easy to pick the 2015-16 Vikings against any other Vikings squad (although the 2015-16 Vikings against the 2014-15 Vikings would be an interesting game since it was more or less the exact same team).

The bigger question is whether or not I'd pick that team to go up against the 2021-22 team from this past season or the 2008-09 team as far as best matchup goes.

Most people are currently familiar with the 2021-22 team, but the 2008-09 team featured a starting 5 of:
                • Marques Blank (one of Augie's better point guards historically despite not having a lengthy list of accolades to his name)
                • Cody Schilling (most people know he was pretty good)
                • David Foster (3-time all-conference)
                • Lee Stephens (an undersized 4 who played with about as much toughness/ferocity as any Augie player I can remember from the past 15 years...probably up there with Casey Schilling in that category)
                • and Eric Krogman (an all-conference 5-man who was about 7-8 years ahead of his time as far as being a big man who could shoot... 35% from three as a senior).
                The reason I'd probably lean toward the 2008-09 team over the 2021-22 Vikes is because of the bench. This year's team had a...limited...bench, putting it kindly, with really only Akoi Akoi and Bennett Otto contributing consistently with some input from Eric Tiedman from time to time.

The 08-09 team had a bench that included Jordan Dalton, Derrick DeZeeuw, Elliot Thomas, Nate Truex, and everybody's favorite beast monster human Mike Klepatz. There were others that weren't major contributors that season like Chad Hettermann and Shane Kieler, but that crew of big men coming off the bench would devour the 2021-22 team's bench. And if you threw Krogman and Stephens at Riemermsa and Dykman, I think Riemersma is the best of that group, but if Dykman and Riemersma then had to handle those 08-09 big man subs without any rest or respite, I think it would have worn on them. Maybe not enough to swing a single game in favor of the 08-09 team, but it definitely wouldn't be easy.

All that being said, I don't see how any team from Augie's past beats the 2015-16 team. Even if we went with the 2021-22 team, the only starter from the 2021-22 team I'd consider swapping with a 2015-16er would be maybe Dylan LeBrun for Adam Beyer, but that's a hard maybe for me because of how multi-faceted Beyer was as both an offensive and defensive player. But I'd take Jordan Spencer over Jameson Bryan, Alex Richter over Isaac Fink, and Schilling and Jansen both over Dykman and Riemersma, despite what Tyler brought to the table as a defender and rebounder. Dan's offensive game (particularly with Schilling requiring so much attention and opening things up for him) was tough to stop when he got rolling, even against good defenders.

All in all, it's fun to consider. More than anything, reflecting on it is a reminder of how many good teams Coach Billeter and his various coaches have assembled over the years. Only bummer is that 4 of those teams (08-09, 09-10, 14-15, and 21-22) didn't make it out of the Regional and I think all four could have made it pretty far if they had. But we'll never know. The nice thing is there's always next season to try again.

Comment

Originally posted by Thunder View Post
                  Coach Meyer's best team actually never made it to the Elite 8 all thanks to "bleeping John Smith" and Winona. The 07-08 team lost 4 games...all to the Warriors. The balanced attack was led by Kevin Ratzsch and Levi Hamilton. Admittedly, this would probably be the weakest of the 5 teams.
                  Not Meyer's best team in my opinion. I would go with 2005-2006 with Hammer, Grant, and Busack as seniors.

Comment

Ad3

Collapse
                  Working...
                  X