Support The Site!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by cat fan View Post
    He's good, no question. Wish Miles could have turned it around at Nebraska, but I'm not certain John Wooden in his prime could fix all that ails the Cornhusker program.
    He was on the doorstep of a NCAA Tourney bid. I'd argue he DID turn it around....

Comment

Originally posted by Stanger86 View Post

He was on the doorstep of a NCAA Tourney bid. I'd argue he DID turn it around....
      Fairly low bar…but not the worst take ever :)

Comment

Ironically, that was possibly the problem. Miles raised fan expectations to levels that he couldn't maintain. The Huskers were finally pretty good in his 2nd last year (2017-18), finishing 5th in the Big10 and likely winning far more games than their talent level should have merited. Credit to Miles for getting that performance out of that particular team.

Nebraska fans actually started feeling optimistic about basketball, and developed expectations, and perhaps even hope! Then player departures, injuries, and really poor team chemistry made for an extraordinarily ugly subsequent year where they were basically the worst team in the conference. The first two items weren't controllable, the chemistry... who knows. And that was it for him in Lincoln.

Hopefully he gets another chance at a major conference team in a few years, not that there is anything wrong with his current job. I wish him well.

Comment

Originally posted by cat fan View Post

Ironically, that was possibly the problem. Miles raised fan expectations to levels that he couldn't maintain. The Huskers were finally pretty good in his 2nd last year (2017-18), finishing 5th in the Big10 and likely winning far more games than their talent level should have merited. Credit to Miles for getting that performance out of that particular team.

Nebraska fans actually started feeling optimistic about basketball, and developed expectations, and perhaps even hope! Then player departures, injuries, and really poor team chemistry made for an extraordinarily ugly subsequent year where they were basically the worst team in the conference. The first two items weren't controllable, the chemistry... who knows. And that was it for him in Lincoln.

Hopefully he gets another chance at a major conference team in a few years, not that there is anything wrong with his current job. I wish him well.
          It was unfortunate, because I thought that Nebraska was a near-perfect spot for him. I'd like him back in the Midwest, but the Big Ten might be too big for him...

Comment

Tough night in Bismarck

Comment

I'm really liking the offensive blend of having multifaceted bigs who can be threats both inside and outside along with having multiple guards who can do damage in the post. A really tough combination that can really create some unique advantages. Oh, and then throw in a 6-foot-10 unicorn in Majok...the three guys 6-7 or taller in the current rotation are all shooting at least 35% from 3-point range. Combined, they are at 45-119 (.378) on the season.

The biggest standout of the season to me so far though has been Costello. Moving him to the bench created a really tough matchup that most second units don't have a counter against. His points-per-minute efficiency have to be up there in program history with the best of them.

Comment

Nice little run in the middle of the season here. They really have found some identity and figured out roles. Long ways to go still but when a teams play hard and plays defense they have a chance to win games.

Need to keep winning though - aint easy to make a regional. The South is a mish mass too so who knows how the rest of the season goes.

Comment

well that was disappointing

Comment

Originally posted by MrMustang View Post
                    well that was disappointing
                    Putting it very mildly! IMO, region hopes completely dead outside of an auto-bid now

Comment

Putting it very mildly! IMO, region hopes completely dead outside of an auto-bid now
                      If smsu win last 6 conference games there is good chance they will be in hunt for regional bid. Don’t give up yet as disappointing as last weekend was for smsu fans.

Comment

pretty big couple of games to end the season here

Comment

Didn't expect to see Sam Schwartz recognized for Senior Day....I get it though, went from starting to completely out of the rotation.

Comment

Thanks.

Comment

Interesting season.

I presume almost all will agree with me that if the Mustangs lose today it would be a failed saeason. Maybe not fair, but I think that would be the vibe.

Having said that, they beat the preseason predictions for both the South and Overall. Crazy how despite that, I can't help but feel we could have been so much more.

That can change with a nice run here and if we win 2 more and upset Northern for a 2nd time (northern hasn't lost btw since we beat them).

but we lost to UMC, Winona (at home), and at Concordia -- change those 3 wins around and we are 19-8 overall and 15-7 in the NSIC and I think that everyone would think the season was a resounding success ! I guess what I am getting at is the margin between perception of a great season and a mediocre one is really really small!

Plus we somehow lost to Truman State - still not sure how we actually lost that game - so yeah 20-7 is a really good year !

The reality is we are probably a year away from having those expectations and losing Mason Lund for the last 14 games was huge. regardless, fun year, but yeah looking back, I felt this team could really exceeed expectations and i was almost right.

17-11 is ok, not great, not bad and we are probably about where we belong. Fun season and the future is bright.

Comment

and given we started 2 freshman all year and had at least 3 or 4 playing big minutes not bad

Comment

Ad3

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X