Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by MrMustang View Post
    Interesting season.

I presume almost all will agree with me that if the Mustangs lose today it would be a failed saeason. Maybe not fair, but I think that would be the vibe.

Having said that, they beat the preseason predictions for both the South and Overall. Crazy how despite that, I can't help but feel we could have been so much more.

That can change with a nice run here and if we win 2 more and upset Northern for a 2nd time (northern hasn't lost btw since we beat them).

but we lost to UMC, Winona (at home), and at Concordia -- change those 3 wins around and we are 19-8 overall and 15-7 in the NSIC and I think that everyone would think the season was a resounding success ! I guess what I am getting at is the margin between perception of a great season and a mediocre one is really really small!

Plus we somehow lost to Truman State - still not sure how we actually lost that game - so yeah 20-7 is a really good year !

The reality is we are probably a year away from having those expectations and losing Mason Lund for the last 14 games was huge. regardless, fun year, but yeah looking back, I felt this team could really exceeed expectations and i was almost right.

17-11 is ok, not great, not bad and we are probably about where we belong. Fun season and the future is bright.
    I think you laid it all out pretty well.

I keep going back to 2006-07 and 2007-08. Maybe that's because it was my first tastes of the disappointment with the regional committee. But those teams were as deserving as almost any that has missed the tournament, but definitely had some missed opportunities that would've strengthened their profile for the committee.

Comment

and given we started 2 freshman all year and had at least 3 or 4 playing big minutes not bad
      It's crazy how young we have been all year with our depth. And with only really losing Costello from the rotation, next year should hopefully allow for another step forward.

Comment

Good for the women today. I was a little nervous when I saw UMC whittle that massive deficit down, but a win is a win.

As for the men, what a game. Hate to see it end like that. There were several points late in the game where I didn't think they'd make it, but they kept going. Still, this is a game they should have won.

One thing I noticed - but the stream made the student section look quite full. Was anyone there and can confirm? If so, that's really awesome. Obviously can't fault the greater population for not being there, though props to those who did make it.

Comment

Still believe that smsu needs to find more 3 point shooting. They have a lot of talent, but the game is such a 3 point shooting game nowadays.

Comment

I feel for Coach Bigler and Smith. Lots of work and not always rewarded

Comment

Not sure if anyone here is interested, but our sister institution Minnesota West placed second in the NJCAA DIII tournament behind RCTC this past weekend. Pretty exciting for them.

Comment

I feel for Coach Bigler and Smith. Lots of work and not always rewarded
                Out of curiosity, what did you mean by this?

Comment

Originally posted by MrAugustana View Post

I'm guessing it was a reaction in response to the transfer portal news.

Comment

Originally posted by MrAugustana View Post

go out on a limb for guys and then they transfer. I know it is part of the job now, but it ain't easy having your life depend on 18-23 year old kids.

Comment

Originally posted by Stanger86 View Post

I'm guessing it was a reaction in response to the transfer portal news.
                      correct

Comment

Looks like the Mustangs need to replace 4 guys in the rotation now:

Costello, Majok, Jake Layman, and an extra guy because of injuries....

Lund is back - Mehki Shaw will likely be a guy to play - that means 2 guys now needed. Maybe Aeron Stevens is ready to come in but still need at least one transfer it feels like, maybe 2. No idea if Matt Thompson is ready or not .

Comment

I saw Stevens play in mn state high school tournament. He will likely be able to play some next year as he has the big strong body…Especially if smsu is looking for a PF next year. Not sure he will be ready to be much more than 10-15 minute guy. Needs to improve his ballhandling and outside shooting, but he definitely passes the eye test and could be a good player for the mustangs in the future.

Comment

Here's how I would categorize things at the moment...

Braaten / Shaw
                            McCray / Chamberlain
                            Omot /
                            Lund / Stevens
                            Phipps

Bigs usually likes to run with only 8 or 9 guys as is, so probably just one or two spots left.

Comment

Been pretty quite on Majok and the transfer portal. I assume he didn't get the D1 offers he was told by AAU people he would be getting. Not sure where he will end up, but it is not likely D1 or we would have heard about it by now.

Wish him well, and hope it works out for him, but man, sometimes people get told things

Comment

Been pretty quite on Majok and the transfer portal. I assume he didn't get the D1 offers he was told by AAU people he would be getting. Not sure where he will end up, but it is not likely D1 or we would have heard about it by now.

Wish him well, and hope it works out for him, but man, sometimes people get told things
                                Looks like he's transferring to Central Oklahoma.

Comment

Ad3

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X