Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Random Summer Thread

So... summer huh?

Anyone have any random thoughts, predictions, epiphanies, etc. they want to share? Or do we just wait another month or two until the 2023 commitments start coming in before the board comes back to life?

Locally, the biggest offseason development I'm looking forward to is how many kids are living in the weight room. Last year we had more players under 190 lbs (7) than we had over 200 lbs (6), with only one player over 215 lbs. We were THIN!

Comment

With Concordia bringing in their third D1 transfer this offseason, is there any chance they climb out from the South Division cellar this coming season? Being located in St. Paul, the recruiting opportunities are ridiculous if they can ever climb their way out of the bottom/middle of the pack.

Comment

Originally posted by MrAugustana View Post
        So... summer huh?

Anyone have any random thoughts, predictions, epiphanies, etc. they want to share? Or do we just wait another month or two until the 2023 commitments start coming in before the board comes back to life?
        I've been using this board for over a decade and this is the first time I've ever seen the word epiphanies used. I don't have any breaking news to add, just wanted to give you kudos for your vocabulary.
        Western New Mexico Mustangs

Comment

I think there's a lot of uncertainty with the MIAA... it should be wide open as many of the top teams are losing significant players. It appears Northwest is bringing everyone back (including Coach Mac), but are losing all-world Trevor Hudgins. What are the chances someone steps in like he did 4 years ago for Justin Pitts? Probably not likely. Benard returning helps, especially on the defensive end and I wonder if he'll play more lead guard this upcoming season, but is that a good thing?

Washburn always finds a way to be good, but are losing the terrific guard tandem of Tyler Geiman and Jalen Lewis... Geiman was a do everything player and he and Lewis together were great. They are bringing back 4 or 5 guards that had significant minutes a year ago, so I would expect them to still be really good, but like Northwest, they're replacing the guy who had the ball in his hands and made the engine go. Is Jaden Monday the point guard in waiting? And does Johnny Clausing have a super senior year left... is he using it? I have to defer to BTech on those questions.

Fort Hays State's big loss will be Jared Vitztum... he was a great player, but they do return a lot of good guard play with Hammeke, Pieschi, and Rock. Nyjee Wright may have another year of eligibility too. If he returns, that'll give them 2 guards that were part of the MIAA conference teams. I would expect them to stay at the top of the standings.

Central Oklahoma will be looking to replace Isaiah Wade... he was one of the most athletically gifted players in the league. They do return their top 2 guards though in Hayden and Wells, along with talented forward Camryn Givens.

Emporia is losing 45 points per game scoring with guards Buchanan and Turner's exit. Van Dyke was also a solid player for the Hornets to replace. That seems like a lot to overcome.

MoSo was pretty young this year, but along with Stan Scott and RJ Smith, they are losing Coach Boschee to Pittsburg State... it'll be interesting to see the effect that has on both programs going forward.

There will be a lot of new faces too.... Transfers galore throughout the conference. I believe MoWest has 3 incoming D1 transfers.

As a Bearcat fan, I would've anticipated that we'd take a step back and our run of MIAA titles would probably be over. That still may very well happen, but after looking at some of the other schools and what they're losing and bringing back, it's hard for me to flat out pick a favorite. I think NW has as good a chance as anyone to be in the mix and they might have the least amount of roster turnover... that said, that turnover is the 2 time national player of the year.

Comment

Clausing will not be taking his last year of eligibility. He graduated and is moving out of state for a job. I agree with Alfred33 that the league lost a ton last year. However, I think NWMS has to be the favorite again. Yes, Hudgins is a significant loss but with McCollum leading the charge I expect the Bearcats to be good again. Washburn will be good. They have Conner Deffebaugh, Freshman of the year Michael Keegan and Tyler Nelson as their "big three" that return. I like a couple of our freshman from last year in Orr and Monday and they had a really nice recruiting class and also picked up a really nice transfer. Guards are the most difficult thing to replace and with Hudgins, Geiman, Lewis, Buchanan and Turner gone from the league that will definitely change the landscape. Should be very interesting. I hope they play again in Nov. at Municpal in KC against the NSIC and GAC. Looking forward to that.

Comment

Originally posted by MrAugustana View Post
              With Concordia bringing in their third D1 transfer this offseason, is there any chance they climb out from the South Division cellar this coming season? Being located in St. Paul, the recruiting opportunities are ridiculous if they can ever climb their way out of the bottom/middle of the pack.
              Fairly certain they brought in two or three last year too.

Comment

Originally posted by Stanger86 View Post

Fairly certain they brought in two or three last year too.
                I have no idea how many years ago this was, but I feel like Bemidji had a year where the team was almost exclusively transfers. I don't remember it going well but I'm also not sure how much of my memory is accurate on this event.

Comment

Comment

MOSO hiring Sam McMahon as head coach (was gone for only 2 years) and his brother Paul as lead assistant (only gone one year) will help with the transition. 2 players have followed Sam from D1 Southeast Missouri State, so I will be interested to see what contributions they make. Haven't heard if we are bringing anyone else in yet, with no freshman signings announced.

Comment

Seems like the recruiting action for 2023 kids has been very sleepy this summer, so far. Assuming it is still the covid hangover that rendered fewer scholarships available for high schoolers.

Comment

Originally posted by Moorhead123 View Post
                        Seems like the recruiting action for 2023 kids has been very sleepy this summer, so far. Assuming it is still the covid hangover that rendered fewer scholarships available for high schoolers.
                        Or kids who, in the past, would have been eager to commit in June choosing to wait longer because they all think they have to go D1 to be happy and they're hoping that last-minute D1 offer rolls in.

Comment

Here's something random.

Sprint Football is growing at the college level. A new league will begin play in the Midwest this Fall.

??????https://midwestsprintfootball.com/landing/index

Meanwhile, the CSFL has been in existence for 88 years. Go Battlers!

https://www.sprintfootball.com/??????
                          Western New Mexico Mustangs

Comment

Originally posted by Moorhead123 View Post
                            I think mid-June is a little early. I would say if there's not action by August, it would be something to talk about.

I think things are starting to get back to normal. Maybe a little bit of the hangover, but lessening by the year.

Comment

Comment

Ad3

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X