Support The Site!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Hot Seat

New ADs (conference record, last four conference records)
    UMary - Nelson 11-17
    Minot State - Murken 83-121, 28-44
    Bemidji - Boschee 84-127, 28-51
    Moorhead - 0-0
    Northern - Phillips 44-14
    Duluth - Wieck 50-25
    SW - Bigler 138-129, 26-45
    St Cloud - 0-0

Looking at the football and men's basketball records, are these coaches in a union? I know it's D2 but we're talking about the the top sports at these schools with the exception of hockey.

Originally posted by debergfan View Post
    New ADs (conference record, last four conference records)
    UMary - Nelson 11-17
    Minot State - Murken 83-121, 28-44
    Bemidji - Boschee 84-127, 28-51
    Moorhead - 0-0
    Northern - Phillips 44-14
    Duluth - Wieck 50-25
    SW - Bigler 138-129, 26-45
    St Cloud - 0-0

Looking at the football and men's basketball records, are these coaches in a union? I know it's D2 but we're talking about the the top sports at these schools with the exception of hockey.
    Not sure I understand your point?

Comment

At first I thought it was only a North Division breakdown, but then you have SW thrown into that mix. Also, Wieck has clearly shown through recruiting and on-the-floor results the past couple of seasons that his seat should be as cold as ice. Same with Phillips up to this point. A few others on this list (Moorhead, St. Cloud, and UMary) have obviously not had anywhere near enough time to worry about their seats warming up. SMSU fans love Bigler and seem confident in the young group they have, so I would be shocked if he's on any sort of actual hot seat. As far as Bemidji and Minot go, they probably could have better records, but the question is how much more competitive they'll be with a coaching change. Bemidji, maybe, as they've had a season or two when they did well, but I don't know that Minot is going to be winning the conference anytime in the next few seasons, so if they have a coach who does things the right way and is graduating kids, they might be perfectly content with how things are going there.

Like Moorhead123, I'm not really sure I understand the point either.

Comment

Bigler aint on the hot seat and wont ever be or there will be a revolt

Comment

Bigler's record is skewed by the Covid year where we had no players and many players missed,,

Comment

What Bigler has done being underfunded is a miracle. our adminsitration ssucks so bad

Comment

Originally posted by MrMustang View Post
              Bigler aint on the hot seat and wont ever be or there will be a revolt
              Why in the world would Bigler be on the hot seat? Someone is smoking some leafy spurge.

Comment

Bigler's record is skewed by the Covid year where we had no players and many players missed,,

Comment

I'd say Murken has Minot trending in the right direction, 15-10 last year with some good wins (Moorhead, Duluth, Mankato, Northern). It is possible his seat was warm a couple of years ago, but I think he should be pretty safe now.

Boschee is possibly not meeting expectations in Bemidji, but I don't know that they have a big fan base that is going to turn on the heat. Football/hockey country.

Nelson has only had a year at UMary.

My guess is that Bigler will continue to coach at SMSU a long time. His record hasn't been great lately but the South has been a tough grind since WSC, UIU, and USF started putting out good squads. Augie and Mankato are always tough. Other than CSP there isn't an easy win to be had for him in the South division.

Comment

And 34-10 the two years before that...

Comment

What Bigler has done being underfunded is a miracle. our adminsitration ssucks so bad
                      Yeah I don't think most people realize we only rival Crookston in terms of funding...

Comment

Originally posted by Stanger86 View Post

And 34-10 the two years before that...

Comment

No, SMSU's budget is. Duh.

Comment

Year 1, you are correct. That was the standard first year of a recruiting cycle. If you've paid any attention to SMSU under Bigler, you would recognize that as the norm. Look back at 2010-11 and 2014-15 for further examples. In 2020-21, when the team went just 3-8, you can absolutely credit it to the COVID outbreak. The fact that SMSU only played 11 games should be proof enough.

Comment

Everyone had to deal with Covid though just hit Marshall harder, I guess. Bigler last winning record in the NSIC was 2018.

By the way, I just listed everyone with a new AD, the new AD might want to bring in their own coach. Take out the covid year of 1-6, Bigler is 44-44 in the last 4 full seasons.
                              2010-11 9-13
                              2011-12 15-7
                              2012-13 13-9
                              2013-14 14-8
                              2014-15 8-14
                              2015-16 9-13
                              2016-17 17-5
                              2017-18 17-5
                              2018-19 10-12
                              2019-20 5-17
                              2020-21 1-6
                              2021-22 10-10