Support The Site!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by debergfan View Post
    Everyone had to deal with Covid though just hit Marshall harder, I guess. Bigler last winning record in the NSIC was 2018.

By the way, I just listed everyone with a new AD, the new AD might want to bring in their own coach. Take out the covid year of 1-6, Bigler is 44-44 in the last 4 full seasons.
    2010-11 9-13
    2011-12 15-7
    2012-13 13-9
    2013-14 14-8
    2014-15 8-14
    2015-16 9-13
    2016-17 17-5
    2017-18 17-5
    2018-19 10-12
    2019-20 5-17
    2020-21 1-6
    2021-22 10-10
    Now do the program's record when Bigler hasn't been involved as a player or coach!

Comment

Originally posted by Stanger86 View Post

Now do the program's record when Bigler hasn't been involved as a player or coach!

Comment

Pleased folks are underrating Bigler

Comment

Originally posted by MrMustang View Post
          Pleased folks are underrating Bigler
          Underrating or appropriately rating? I don't think anyone doubts that he is a good coach under the right circumstances, specifically when he hits the high point of this 4-year cycle Stanger86 is all about. But I don't know that I'd rank him in the same group of coaches as Walthall (I know he's done, but up to this season I mean), Billeter, Margenthaler, etc. To be honest, I was surprised reading Bigler's bio and seeing that he has been Coach of the Year twice.

Bottom line, I think he has undoubtedly done a solid job for the Mustangs, but his record is his record, even if there are a handful of circumstances that impact that record.

That being said, if Mustang fans are happy with him, then that's ultimately what matters. I'd be surprised if the new AD had someone else he wanted to hire, as I can't imagine anyone else doing a much consistently better job than Bigler has done, even if statistically his record isn't astounding.

Comment

FWIW - Bigler is #1 in career wins, and #3 in career win % (50+ wins) - behind Stemen and Miles. Granted, he has had many years to get to that point.

The idea he's on some hypothetical hot seat is hilarious. We can debate whether or not he's a great coach, but the idea that the AD wants him out is ridiculous.

Comment

Originally posted by MrAugustana View Post

Underrating or appropriately rating? I don't think anyone doubts that he is a good coach under the right circumstances, specifically when he hits the high point of this 4-year cycle Stanger86 is all about. But I don't know that I'd rank him in the same group of coaches as Walthall (I know he's done, but up to this season I mean), Billeter, Margenthaler, etc. To be honest, I was surprised reading Bigler's bio and seeing that he has been Coach of the Year twice.

Bottom line, I think he has undoubtedly done a solid job for the Mustangs, but his record is his record, even if there are a handful of circumstances that impact that record.

That being said, if Mustang fans are happy with him, then that's ultimately what matters. I'd be surprised if the new AD had someone else he wanted to hire, as I can't imagine anyone else doing a much consistently better job than Bigler has done, even if statistically his record isn't astounding.
              He has had some really exceptional individual years, which is probably why the bolded.

Margenthaler is a great coach, especially in the NSIC - but how has he done in the postseason? Genuinely asking, I haven't heard of MSU being relevant beyond the conference in some years. Same can certainly be said for SMSU, obviously.

Comment

Originally posted by debergfan View Post
                Everyone had to deal with Covid though just hit Marshall harder, I guess.

If you've ever been to Marshall, it's not hard to figure out why this is absolutely a true statement.

Comment

People need to remember, before Brad arrived in town, SSU was statistically the worst basketball program in NCAA, 273-516 (.346 winning percentage) in 30 years. In the 25 seasons since Bigler first joined the program, the Mustangs have a record of 424-301 (.585). No he's not the sole reason for every win, but he was definitely a key part of the turnaround and is the one constant in the program over that time.

Comment

Originally posted by SW_Mustang View Post

He has had some really exceptional individual years, which is probably why the bolded.

Margenthaler is a great coach, especially in the NSIC - but how has he done in the postseason? Genuinely asking, I haven't heard of MSU being relevant beyond the conference in some years. Same can certainly be said for SMSU, obviously.
                    Well, the 2012-13 season when he won Coach of the Year they went 16-14. But yes, 2016-17 they were 28-6, which is really good.

I don't care for Margenthaler one way or the other, but according to his bio:

Career record of 436-197 at MSU for a .688 winning percentage, seven conference championships and 13 NCAA Tournament appearances, a Final Four appearance, a handful of conference tournament championships, and 3-4 times hosting the Regional.

So he's done pretty well overall. If he can make his transfer alchemy work, they can be really tough. Some years it doesn't come together for them. Which is always fine by me.

Comment

Well, the 2012-13 season when he won Coach of the Year they went 16-14. But yes, 2016-17 they were 28-6, which is really good.

Career record of 436-197 at MSU for a .688 winning percentage, seven conference championships and 13 NCAA Tournament appearances, a Final Four appearance, a handful of conference tournament championships, and 3-4 times hosting the Regional.

So he's done pretty well overall. If he can make his transfer alchemy work, they can be really tough. Some years it doesn't come together for them. Which is always fine by me.

Comment

Originally posted by SW_Mustang View Post
                        FWIW - Bigler is #1 in career wins, and #3 in career win % (50+ wins) - behind Stemen and Miles. Granted, he has had many years to get to that point.

The idea he's on some hypothetical hot seat is hilarious. We can debate whether or not he's a great coach, but the idea that the AD wants him out is ridiculous.

Comment

Wonder if budgets post Covid make moves even more difficult to get done.

Comment

Fair argument. Definitely a jab that has been beaten into the ground about as much as Nickelback jokes. I guess the flipside of that in my opinion would be that the highest of his highs have come with high level transfer-laden rosters, but my recollection of his more high school/homegrown rosters is that they haven't necessarily thrived (such as the disastrous 2011-12 season). With that being the case, if he's being out-transferred by some of the other coaches in the league at this point, that could be a problem for Margs and the Mavs.

At the same time, he's the kind of coach where he could go 26-5 next season and win the conference and nobody would be overly surprised.

Comment

Was not aware he won that year, that is a bit strange. I was thinking it was more recently when he was winning conference championships.

Margenthaler has a resume, sure, but if we can ignore the height of Bigler's success while faulting him for the COVID year, maybe we should offer the same criticism to MSU's coach - who's glory days are even farther behind him. I don't mean to target MSU specifically, but we should apply the same logic to all.

Just my opinion.

Comment

Disagree. Half the NSIC would be on the proverbial hot seat in that scenario, and based on this thread - only Bigler is. I've also seen some D1 coaches be granted some extreme leniency (I think we all have). But then again, you are correct - this isn't D1. We (D2) definitely doesn't bring in anywhere near the same amount of money.

I give Bigler a pass for the COVID year and the COVID year only. Will expect to see us get back to winning ways shortly, then I might see it the other way if we don't.

Comment

Ad3

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X