Support The Site!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by SW_Mustang View Post

Disagree. Half the NSIC would be on the proverbial hot seat in that scenario, and based on this thread - only Bigler is. I've also seen some D1 coaches be granted some extreme leniency (I think we all have). But then again, you are correct - this isn't D1. We (D2) definitely doesn't bring in anywhere near the same amount of money.

I give Bigler a pass for the COVID year and the COVID year only. Will expect to see us get back to winning ways shortly, then I might see it the other way if we don't.

Comment

Originally posted by MrAugustana View Post

Well, the 2012-13 season when he won Coach of the Year they went 16-14. But yes, 2016-17 they were 28-6, which is really good.
      To refresh people's memories, that 2012-13 season was the year following the accident Brad was involved in that took his son's life. Maybe he didn't deserve it on the court, but I admire his peers for making that decision at that moment.

Comment

Originally posted by MrAugustana View Post

Underrating or appropriately rating? I don't think anyone doubts that he is a good coach under the right circumstances, specifically when he hits the high point of this 4-year cycle Stanger86 is all about. But I don't know that I'd rank him in the same group of coaches as Walthall (I know he's done, but up to this season I mean), Billeter, Margenthaler, etc. To be honest, I was surprised reading Bigler's bio and seeing that he has been Coach of the Year twice.

Bottom line, I think he has undoubtedly done a solid job for the Mustangs, but his record is his record, even if there are a handful of circumstances that impact that record.

That being said, if Mustang fans are happy with him, then that's ultimately what matters. I'd be surprised if the new AD had someone else he wanted to hire, as I can't imagine anyone else doing a much consistently better job than Bigler has done, even if statistically his record isn't astounding.
        well said

Comment

Originally posted by Stanger86 View Post

To refresh people's memories, that 2012-13 season was the year following the accident Brad was involved in that took his son's life. Maybe he didn't deserve it on the court, but I admire his peers for making that decision at that moment.
          This. I doubt if there was a coach in the league who wasn't pulling for him to win that one. That whole story with family tragedies- not just one- was crushing.

Comment

Originally posted by cat fan View Post
            I'd say Murken has Minot trending in the right direction, 15-10 last year with some good wins (Moorhead, Duluth, Mankato, Northern). It is possible his seat was warm a couple of years ago, but I think he should be pretty safe now.

Boschee is possibly not meeting expectations in Bemidji, but I don't know that they have a big fan base that is going to turn on the heat. Football/hockey country.

Nelson has only had a year at UMary.

My guess is that Bigler will continue to coach at SMSU a long time. His record hasn't been great lately but the South has been a tough grind since WSC, UIU, and USF started putting out good squads. Augie and Mankato are always tough. Other than CSP there isn't an easy win to be had for him in the South division.
            Minot State 2012-13 9 13
            Minot State 2013-14 4 18
            Minot State 2014-15 9 13
            Minot State 2015-16 10 12
            Minot State 2016-17 10 12
            Minot State 2017-18 13 9
            Minot State 2018-19 9 13
            Minot State 2019-20 4 18
            Minot State 2020-21 6 4
            Minot State 2021-22 9 9
            83 121
            2012-13 Bemidji State 13 9
            2013-14 Bemidji State 15 7
            2014-15 Bemidji State 4 18
            2015-16 Bemidji State 7 15
            2016-17 Bemidji State 8 14
            2017-18 Bemidji State 9 13
            2018-19 Bemidji State 6 16
            2019-20 Bemidji State 11 11
            2020-21 Bemidji State 6 8
            2021-22 Bemidji State 5 16
            84 127

Comment

Originally posted by Stanger86 View Post

Very true. There was a time when I was nervous that his legacy would be about said tragedies, so I tried to focus more on the basketball - hence why I didn't put it together.

Definitely a rough time.

Comment

I must have missed your post, but thank you for clarifying.

I've often wondered about Bemidji basketball - how much it is a priority given D1 hockey is the real king of the school. If his seat is warming, does the AD even really care that much? I don't have a clue, but it is something I've thought about.

Would like to see some more of those schools up north become more competitive at basketball (as I think we all would), though Duluth was solid last year if memory serves...

Comment

Better get used to this transfer thing becoming a norm in D2 basketball landscape. These kids are going to be free to move year over year and level to level without having to sit out. You have a freshman or sophomore make all NSIC more than likely he will be gone to a D1 the following year as has been the case over the past couple of years. It is going to be a interesting transition for D2 coaches to see how can try to keep a "team" together. It will be difficult, not impossible to do. It is going to be wild.

Also watch how these kids sign, they now can sign onto multiple offers and then wait to choose one later on, so the commitment they make is not locked in like it used to be. Kids are starting to catch on that the new language will allow them to get offers, sign the offer to secure something but then continue to look for something better.

Comment

I must have missed your post, but thank you for clarifying.

I've often wondered about Bemidji basketball - how much it is a priority given D1 hockey is the real king of the school. If his seat is warming, does the AD even really care that much? I don't have a clue, but it is something I've thought about.

Would like to see some more of those schools up north become more competitive at basketball (as I think we all would), though Duluth was solid last year if memory serves...

Comment

Originally posted by fanofnsic View Post
                      Better get used to this transfer thing becoming a norm in D2 basketball landscape. These kids are going to be free to move year over year and level to level without having to sit out. You have a freshman or sophomore make all NSIC more than likely he will be gone to a D1 the following year as has been the case over the past couple of years. It is going to be a interesting transition for D2 coaches to see how can try to keep a "team" together. It will be difficult, not impossible to do. It is going to be wild.

Also watch how these kids sign, they now can sign onto multiple offers and then wait to choose one later on, so the commitment they make is not locked in like it used to be. Kids are starting to catch on that the new language will allow them to get offers, sign the offer to secure something but then continue to look for something better.
                      All true and probably one of the reasons Walthall decided retirement was a good option for him.

Comment

Neat. Upper Iowa and Augustana made it past the first round of the NCAA tournament, UMD and MSUM did not.

I didn't mean it as an insult, I just don't think the north is overall.

Comment

Neat. Upper Iowa and Augustana made it past the first round of the NCAA tournament, UMD and MSUM did not.

I didn't mean it as an insult, I just don't think the north is overall.

Comment

MSUM did not play NW as close as anyone in the tournament.

Comment

Originally posted by NWHoops View Post

MSUM did not play NW as close as anyone in the tournament.

Comment

That's fair. Just didn't want the facts to get in your way.

Comment

Ad3

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X