Support The Site!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Question - Red Shirt

What are the Red-Shirt rules? How many games can a player appear in and still qualify for a non-medical red shirt?
    Is it a set number or a percentage of the total games scheduled?
    The Great White Buffalo has Returned

Originally posted by Great White Buffalo View Post
    What are the Red-Shirt rules? How many games can a player appear in and still qualify for a non-medical red shirt?
    It used to be either 40% or 60% of contests, if you play over that you cannot qualify for a medical hardship. Medical redshirt you apply before the season begins.

I believe you could redshirt and then get a Medical for two years worth of redshirt but you couldnt medical and then use a standard redshirt, in terms of two separate years.

That is, what I remember, how it was...but nowadays, I am quite sure it has changed.

Comment

Zero
      Attached Files

Comment

Here's the most recent info I could find via Google

How does the NCAA medical redshirt work?
        Athletes can seek a medical redshirt if they suffered a season-ending injury before the midway point of their respective season. If a player suffers a season-ending injury early in the year but already used their redshirt, they can still apply for a waiver which would give them a sixth year of eligibility.Apr 20, 2020

Other things said 30% of their games or 4 games whichever is more...but had to happen before half the season was over.

Also saw playing up to 40% of the games...

Kind of creates more questions than answers! :)

Comment

I thought the question was NON-medical. That is zero.

Comment

Originally posted by Purple Mav Man View Post
            I thought the question was NON-medical. That is zero.
            details, details, details! ;)

Comment

Originally posted by libertybearcat View Post
              Here's the most recent info I could find via Google

How does the NCAA medical redshirt work?
              Athletes can seek a medical redshirt if they suffered a season-ending injury before the midway point of their respective season. If a player suffers a season-ending injury early in the year but already used their redshirt, they can still apply for a waiver which would give them a sixth year of eligibility. Apr 20, 2020

Other things said 30% of their games or 4 games whichever is more...but had to happen before half the season was over.

Also saw playing up to 40% of the games...

Kind of creates more questions than answers! :)
              I also saw 30% of games are for a medical redshirt. An additional question as it pertains to Basketball: Do the scheduled postseason tournament games count towards the total number of scheduled games if the team plays in the postseason tournament??

Comment

That’s surprising that they haven’t altered that rule for basketball. In football, a player can appear in up to 4 games and still redshirt (non medical). You’d think in a sport with less players and more games, they’d have something comparable.

Comment

I also saw 30% of games are for a medical redshirt. An additional question as it pertains to Basketball: Do the scheduled postseason tournament games count towards the total number of scheduled games if the team plays in the postseason tournament??
                  Good question. You'd think so. Since it's the NCAA and we'd think so...I'd guess NO! SMH

Comment

Originally posted by Alfred33 View Post
                    That’s surprising that they haven’t altered that rule for basketball. In football, a player can appear in up to 4 games and still redshirt (non medical). You’d think in a sport with less players and more games, they’d have something comparable.
                    Isn't that football rule only in FCS/FBS?

Comment

Originally posted by Stanger86 View Post

Very well could be, but I don't think they allow a basketball redshirt to play in a limited number of games on that level either. I could be wrong about all things I say though. ;)

Comment

According to our compliance officer, it's the actual number of games the team plays. (not counting the exhibition)
                        Therefore if a team plays in the post-season, those games would count.

Comment

Originally posted by Stanger86 View Post

Apparently it was... just saw that this passed over on the football side of the forum. You can now play in up to 3 football games and not use a year of eligibility in D2.
                          https://twitter.com/NCAADII/status/1...1Q29kQ2Eg&s=19

Comment

Ad3

Collapse
                          Working...
                          X