Support The Site!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by NSU4LIFE View Post
    No one pooped in cheerios but if I had to, it'd be in the worlds most bland cereal of all time, hahah
    I will not tolerate any slander of my daily breakfast during your game discussion. Carry on.
    4x 'Crackerjack' NAIA National Champions - 1996, 2006, 2008, 2009
    2016 NSIC Champions
    🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑

Comment

• Originally posted by Thunder View Post

Agree 100%. I caught just a piece of Saul's post game interview and he said it was fun to play in front of a crowd, any crowd. He said Jackson probably knew a lot of those guys and so I'm sure there was some good trash talking last night. Obviously you don't want anything that crosses the line, but it is good to see a student section (football team in this case) in the game. I'm quite certain we were both involved in some student sections that would probably be frowned upon today. I can even remember Coach Meyer yelling at us for one game to shut up. I'm not even sure what caused that reaction.
      Following a game instead of going to the l9cker room coach Baruth walked over and said "coach meyer wants to see you in the hallway"

It was very clearly and sternly communicated that they understand that Winona is a very good team in the league but that our players need to be focused on the current opponent each game. (Some on the baseline had a history of yelling "I hate Winona" randomly during almost every game for quite a few years)

I miss those days.

Another good one was (again) a Winona game that was a big deal at the time as both were good and it was on ESPN3 or something. There was something like 6,000 + people and other than the state Bs I'd never heard it so loud. Many of us took turns during times outs, pregame and at halftime of running around with the NSU flags.

As I passed Winonas huddle I slowed down screaming something like "you're done, it's over, bye-bye".....we lost that game, hahaha

That said Winona players were always really good about it whether home or away. They interacted and it was a blast, other than the losing part.

Comment

• Originally posted by Otis Day View Post

I will not tolerate any slander of my daily breakfast during your game discussion. Carry on.
        You know they make that in a flavor variety, right? Haha
        I'm glad you have a good heart and will live forever though.
        Last edited by NSU4LIFE; 01-11-2023, 01:27 PM.

Comment

Another good one was (again) a Winona game that was a big deal at the time as both were good and it was on ESPN3 or something. There was something like 6,000 + people and other than the state Bs I'd never heard it so loud. Many of us took turns during times outs, pregame and at halftime of running around with the NSU flags.

As I passed Winonas huddle I slowed down screaming something like "you're done, it's over, bye-bye".....we lost that game, hahaha

That said Winona players were always really good about it whether home or away. They interacted and it was a blast, other than the losing part.
          Was that the one that was on like Midwest Sports Network or whatever the precursor to FSN was? They moved the men's game to like 11:00 am so they could do it live. So of course all of the students set alarms and woke up about 6 for kegs and eggs and other libations. The student section (present company included) was well lubricated for that morning game. I remember going home after the game and falling asleep only to be woken up by having snow packed around my body in my bed.

Comment

Was that the one that was on like Midwest Sports Network or whatever the precursor to FSN was? They moved the men's game to like 11:00 am so they could do it live. So of course all of the students set alarms and woke up about 6 for kegs and eggs and other libations. The student section (present company included) was well lubricated for that morning game. I remember going home after the game and falling asleep only to be woken up by having snow packed around my body in my bed.
            That sounds about right. Cannot confirm the snow portion of the story but the rest sounds accurate.

Comment

Perhaps this is a function of Moorhead not often having much of a crowd at games. In the rare event NSU loses a home game, it is a common sight to see an opposing player or two have a very similar interaction with the NSU fan base, and not the student section. It is very often directed at the seats right along the court or toward the gray haired section of the crowd. You win a big game on the road, you get to strut a little. Nobody should be offended by that.
              Will have to agree to disagree on this one. I’ve played a lot of basket, coached a lot of basketball and watched a lot of basketball. If it were my team I would not want my players taunting the opposing fans under any circumstances. Apparently this is common in Aberdeen, but I have probably only seen something similar a couple times in my lifetime. I’m hoping this doesn’t become the norm in the future. I think there is a difference between celebrating a win and taunting an opposing fan base. But, that’s just my personal opinion.

Comment

• Originally posted by Moorhead123 View Post

Will have to agree to disagree on this one. I’ve played a lot of basket, coached a lot of basketball and watched a lot of basketball. If it were my team I would not want my players taunting the opposing fans under any circumstances. Apparently this is common in Aberdeen, but I have probably only seen something similar a couple times in my lifetime. I’m hoping this doesn’t become the norm in the future. I think there is a difference between celebrating a win and taunting an opposing fan base. But, that’s just my personal opinion.
                You are starting to come off as that Christian Lewis dude. I don't know who he is or the history but always seems to be in the middle or some NSU/MSUM stuff online.

You must have hated basketball for many years then. Even back in high school, those days were what built mental toughness. Thousands scream and riding guys like Matt Martin and DJ Prue just have them hit shot after shot and blow kisses to the stands. Tension was high and gyms were packed.

We are now conditioned to so mucy politeness that games couldnt be any more boring of an atmosphere. Glad the Moorhead football team was there and glad to hear someone had a fun atmosphere for an NSIC game.

Comment

Yup, agree to disagree. I don’t know you or the level of your basketball resume, but my assumption is that it is not at this high of a level. Neither is mine so I can only speak to what I have seen from the stands. When you go into an arena for an intense game and there are a few thousand people on your back the whole game there has to be a release at the end knowing you sent all those people home unhappy. Obviously I’m not condoning anything crazy, but a little good natured waving and a few words at the end aren’t anything to be overly upset about, in my opinion of course.

Comment

• This conversation brings to mind a favorite NSU story of mine from before my time at NSU. Northern had to go to Brookings to play SDSU in the regional final and Ryan Miller dropped 45 on the bunnies. He ended the game with a big three and a throat slash to the crowd. Most Wolves fans that were at the game loved it, obviously it would be frowned upon today.

Comment

This conversation brings to mind a favorite NSU story of mine from before my time at NSU. Northern had to go to Brookings to play SDSU in the regional final and Ryan Miller dropped 45 on the bunnies. He ended the game with a big three and a throat slash to the crowd. Most Wolves fans that were at the game loved it, obviously it would be frowned upon today.
                      Isn't it crazy that there used to be a time that, despite being disliked (I'm not a guy that would do any of these things, nor would I love my kids doing it)these things weren't threatening or taken with a deeper meaning?

Comment

You are starting to come off as that Christian Lewis dude. I don't know who he is or the history but always seems to be in the middle or some NSU/MSUM stuff online.

You must have hated basketball for many years then. Even back in high school, those days were what built mental toughness. Thousands scream and riding guys like Matt Martin and DJ Prue just have them hit shot after shot and blow kisses to the stands. Tension was high and gyms were packed.

We are now conditioned to so mucy politeness that games couldnt be any more boring of an atmosphere. Glad the Moorhead football team was there and glad to hear someone had a fun atmosphere for an NSIC game.
                        He is an AAU coach for mn comets. He has coached many good nsic players over many years…bruggeman, jack Thompson, Baumgartner, etc. He is a big fan of and loyal to his former AAU players. He stays in touch with his former players and follows the nsic pretty closely. He offers his opinions on nsic teams and players. He’s been doing so for years. He doesn’t disparage other players or programs.

I said I’m old school on some things. I said in my opinion numerous times. In my opinion…and regardless of whether professional, college or high school you don’t taunt opposing team’s fans on the road. I feel the same way if Moorhead players would do it. Clearly, others disagree with me, which they are free to do. It was a fun game and great atmosphere last night.

Nsu plays hard, they are well coach, Moni was terrific, they beat a good opponent on the road. If I’m the coach I want my players to celebrate a good win, but I’d tell them to stay classy in victory or defeat. To me that’s a big part of respecting the game, which is much bigger than any player, team or coach. At the same time, the home team has a duty to make sure their fans don’t cross a line, which I don’t think any fans at Moorhead did last night, including the football team. But I wasn’t close enough to the football team to hear what they were saying. Since Saul was shaking their hands I assume he didn’t think the football team crossed any line, but maybe I’m wrong.

Comment

• Last night was a real heartbreaker, really wished the Dragons would have been able to pull that one off. MSUM has been able to bounce back after both losses this season, though, so I think they can do that again and go on another run. Won't be easy, but I've liked how the team has played, even in losses.

Energy seemed pretty good at Nemzek from what I could tell, I was watching it on TV. Fan-wise, felt it was pretty standard from what I've seen in college basketball.

On a side note, I do hope some day MSUM can get a proper basketball arena, the fieldhouse seems kind of cavernous. Plenty of great moments have happened there, but it would be nice to have the stands more closely surrounding the court.

Comment

• Originally posted by IceBoxDragon View Post
                            Last night was a real heartbreaker, really wished the Dragons would have been able to pull that one off. MSUM has been able to bounce back after both losses this season, though, so I think they can do that again and go on another run. Won't be easy, but I've liked how the team has played, even in losses.

Energy seemed pretty good at Nemzek from what I could tell, I was watching it on TV. Fan-wise, felt it was pretty standard from what I've seen in college basketball.

On a side note, I do hope some day MSUM can get a proper basketball arena, the fieldhouse seems kind of cavernous. Plenty of great moments have happened there, but it would be nice to have the stands more closely surrounding the court.
                            Fun game and great atmosphere. This dragon team plays so hard. I think they will bounce back.

I know there have been plans for a long time for facilities upgrades, which are greatly needed. My understanding is that the intent is to first build a separate dome for track teams and to move them out if nemzek. Not sure how fundraising going for that project. Then step two would be needed improvements to nemzek for basketball/volleyball. As with many schools significant fundraising would be needed and who knows if the money ever gets raised in near future or not. The president of university is on way out, which is probably a good thing as her administration was not a huge advocate for university athletics in my opinion. Hopefully the next president will be more willing to push harder for the athletics side of the university. I know it’s always delicate balance.

Comment

• Originally posted by NSUguy View Post

With all due respect what would you expect a team to do when the student section literally didn’t stop hurling insults at the players the entire game while on the bench and on the floor? Those five guys in the front row were borderline relentless. I’m not sure how they have voices this morning. You also maybe forgot to mention how part of the team went over there, Moni, Sam, and Coach Phillips included, to shake their hand or give them a high five after the game.

I don’t blame the student section for being that way, as that’s how I was during Northern games, while I was in college. However, never in my years has an opposing team came over and shook our hands. The taunting at the end was well deserved.
                              I watched most of the game. Great as an NSIC fan that we get to watch this (scouting too) - ok Bigler doean't need my help but i will give it to him anyway.

My daughter goes to Moorhead. She said it was a great atmosphere. She said the student crowd was great. She also said the Northern Parents were giving it back to the students which they thought was great. Great atmosphere. fun stuff

Comment

Fun game and great atmosphere. This dragon team plays so hard. I think they will bounce back.

I know there have been plans for a long time for facilities upgrades, which are greatly needed. My understanding is that the intent is to first build a separate dome for track teams and to move them out if nemzek. Not sure how fundraising going for that project. Then step two would be needed improvements to nemzek for basketball/volleyball. As with many schools significant fundraising would be needed and who knows if the money ever gets raised in near future or not. The president of university is on way out, which is probably a good thing as her administration was not a huge advocate for university athletics in my opinion. Hopefully the next president will be more willing to push harder for the athletics side of the university. I know it’s always delicate balance.
                                That's surprising since I feel like athletics really took a big step forward while Blackhurst was in office. The football stadium was updated with the new turf and sponsorship from Scheels, the weight room was renovated to be better for student athletes, and the big two teams experienced their most success in some time.

The basketball team won two conference titles, four division titles, a conference tournament title and an NCAA regional title, and she was there for nearly all of those events. The football team, meanwhile continues to turn around, making the post season for the first time since the mid-90s a couple years ago. She live tweets a bunch during sporting events, too, so she's clearly showing up for athletics.

When talking about hiring a new AD, she said: "The AD position is the most visible position on our campus other than mine, so that person needs to be an exemplary spokesperson and advocate and relationship-builder — the external face of Dragon athletics and the university. It's an incredibly important hire," Blackhurst said. "Given the recent success of our men's basketball program, we'd really like to continue that winning tradition and we certainly would like to continue the momentum of that program."

For the school overall, she ran in the Boston Marathon to represent MSUM. During her time MSUM also completed a seven-year, $59 million fundraising effort. In 2015 alone, the school raised nearly $9 million.

I get that some things were set in motion before she assumed the role, such as hiring Laqua and Walthall, and the upgrades to Nemzek like getting the new court. But still, she's seemed to be supportive from what I've seen. However, I don't live in the FM area so I might not be as aware of the day-to-day goings on.

Comment

Ad3

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X