Support The Site!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Moorhead123 View Post

He is an AAU coach for mn comets. He has coached many good nsic players over many years…bruggeman, jack Thompson, Baumgartner, etc. He is a big fan of and loyal to his former AAU players. He stays in touch with his former players and follows the nsic pretty closely. He offers his opinions on nsic teams and players. He’s been doing so for years. He doesn’t disparage other players or programs.

I said I’m old school on some things. I said in my opinion numerous times. In my opinion…and regardless of whether professional, college or high school you don’t taunt opposing team’s fans on the road. I feel the same way if Moorhead players would do it. Clearly, others disagree with me, which they are free to do. It was a fun game and great atmosphere last night.

Nsu plays hard, they are well coach, Moni was terrific, they beat a good opponent on the road. If I’m the coach I want my players to celebrate a good win, but I’d tell them to stay classy in victory or defeat. To me that’s a big part of respecting the game, which is much bigger than any player, team or coach. At the same time, the home team has a duty to make sure their fans don’t cross a line, which I don’t think any fans at Moorhead did last night, including the football team. But I wasn’t close enough to the football team to hear what they were saying. Since Saul was shaking their hands I assume he didn’t think the football team crossed any line, but maybe I’m wrong.
    So the football team chanting “Bull$hit” numerous times is okay? Or another football player coming over about 2 feet from Gus getting water to check to see if his ankles are okay is fine? Or telling Nhialls family he’s a lazy POS? Or telling some of our fans they are 60 and should sit the F down?

To me it’s all a good ribbing but if you can’t stand the heat get out of the kitchen.

Comment

• Is Nemzek a multi-use arena? I saw those extra seating beyond BB court.

Comment

• Originally posted by NSUguy View Post

So the football team chanting “Bull$hit” numerous times is okay? Or another football player coming over about 2 feet from Gus getting water to check to see if his ankles are okay is fine? Or telling Nhialls family he’s a lazy POS? Or telling some of our fans they are 60 and should sit the F down?

To me it’s all a good ribbing but if you can’t stand the heat get out of the kitchen.
        No, I don’t think the football players should be approaching Gus or saying something to Nhialls family. Would prefer if the profanity is limited.

I wouldn’t be surprised if smsu and usf football teams show up and get after the dragon team this weekend. Would be great if they did, but obviously there is s line where it can deteriorate from just a little fun banter. The msum football guys going after a players family in the stands, etc. crosses that line in my opinion. Hopefully, football coach or AD cleans that up for future games.

I have also commented on this board in the past that I’m not a fan of allowing the nsu student section to stand down on baseline at their home games. No problem with the loud banter but think the fans should have to remain in the stands.
        Last edited by Moorhead123; 01-11-2023, 02:43 PM.

Comment

I have also commented on this board in the past that I’m not a fan of allowing the nsu student section to stand down on baseline at their home games. No problem with the loud banter but think the fans should have to remain in the stands.
          You'll have to take that up with the NCAA. Seating is ten feet but the restraining line is six feet from the court perimeter. When the couch came into play at games this was already looked into. Coaches such as the great Texas Tom have commended the I Hate Winter environment in the past. There are times where the "crowd control" does need to move them back more or if kids insist on going over the six feet they should be sent to the bleachers. But even in all the years down there, we never had a referee that had an issue with it and opposing players usually ate it up, smiled or had something good to say to the students.

Many places have courtside seats that follow these same guidelines.

NSU isn't the only school to do this, if it wasn't for one highly attended weekend a year you wouldn't even think about it.

Comment

• Originally posted by vikingfaithful View Post
            Is Nemzek a multi-use arena? I saw those extra seating beyond BB court.
            Yep, also used by the volleyball, track and wrestling teams.

Comment

No, I don’t think the football players should be approaching Gus or saying something to Nhialls family. Would prefer if the profanity is limited.

I wouldn’t be surprised if smsu and usf football teams show up and get after the dragon team this weekend. Would be great if they did, but obviously there is s line where it can deteriorate from just a little fun banter. The msum football guys going after a players family in the stands, etc. crosses that line in my opinion. Hopefully, football coach or AD cleans that up for future games.

That’s fair. I can get why some people would be annoyed by the NSU student section being too close. They can also get pretty ornery and hostile. That baseline they stand on, the bleachers are dang near 30 feet back from the court so I think there’s no choice but to let them stand up there. I also believe there is a rule that allows them to be a certain distance as well but I don’t know it.

Comment

He is an AAU coach for mn comets. He has coached many good nsic players over many years…bruggeman, jack Thompson, Baumgartner, etc. He is a big fan of and loyal to his former AAU players. He stays in touch with his former players and follows the nsic pretty closely. He offers his opinions on nsic teams and players. He’s been doing so for years. He doesn’t disparage other players or programs.
                You don't need to go any further when describing him. I have never met a director of an aau program who I would not consider a scumbag. If they were not so concerned about the almighty dollar, stop charging the kids what you charge them. But good for them, make all you can and the kids be damned. There is a special spot for them in the afterlife. The next aau director who would open his books up to the public, will also be the first aau director to do so.

Comment

That’s fair. I can get why some people would be annoyed by the NSU student section being too close. They can also get pretty ornery and hostile. That baseline they stand on, the bleachers are dang near 30 feet back from the court so I think there’s no choice but to let them stand up there. I also believe there is a rule that allows them to be a certain distance as well but I don’t know it.
                  There were years when an Augustana student tossed a coyote or jackrabbit on the court when playing usd/sdsu, the sudent section would erupt in a cheer, the adults would moan or boo because of the technical foul. Those were the days of high attendance. How a student was able to get a coyote in the Elmen Center when they were scrutinized by school officials I don't know.

Comment

• Originally posted by simple as a $3 bill View Post

You don't need to go any further when describing him. I have never met a director of an aau program who I would not consider a scumbag. If they were not so concerned about the almighty dollar, stop charging the kids what you charge them. But good for them, make all you can and the kids be damned. There is a special spot for them in the afterlife. The next aau director who would open his books up to the public, will also be the first aau director to do so.
                    In general you are correct, but I can tell tell you Chris is not that guy you describe. There are some good ones and Chris and the comets do things the right way.

Comment

Probably a way that nsu could find to extend the bleachers closer to floor on that end. I think nsu asking for trouble if they let the students get that close…at some point some drunk student going to make contact with a player or coach. Could happen anywhere, but I think you increase the odds with the current situation along that baseline at nsu.

Comment

There were years when an Augustana student tossed a coyote or jackrabbit on the court when playing usd/sdsu, the sudent section would erupt in a cheer, the adults would moan or boo because of the technical foul. Those were the days of high attendance. How a student was able to get a coyote in the Elmen Center when they were scrutinized by school officials I don't know.
                        "Hair was short and skirts were long
                        Kate Smith really sold a song
                        I don't know just what went wrong
                        those were the days..."

Amen

Comment

• I remember at SCSU in around 2012 or 14 when the student section was on the end of the floor of the visitors bench, and there were so many complaints by opposing coaches, verified by a friend of mine who worked in the athletic department, that weems gave in and "moved" the student section to the other end of the gym the following season. Still not sure why the students listened and went to that end. Attendance just never seemed the same.
                          And certain coaches did not like their players being yelled at at all. I could tell every time an assistant coach went over to the scorers table and would point my way, that I was about to get a visit from an SCSU employee. And remember, NEVER once did I use a curse word, but I was VERY good at doing my research and maybe mention a past digression to a player every now and then.

Comment

Rabbit they would freeze, then cling wrap around the waist of a (typically intoxicated) football player wearing a heavy winter coat, then unravel during a timeout with other students shielding him.

I won't spoil the coyote trick in case the students ever have a chance to do it again. ;)

Comment

• Crowd used to be an Issue at Hawiian Night in Marshall . Huge crowds. rowdy. great time

Last year they changed it to Tropical Night and half the crowd left and the students were a giant NON Factor - didn't even need the extra security to hold back students. instead of a seell out, normal smaller average crowd. Couldn't even tell it was special event. sad to see things fall apart like that but that's the new regime in Marshall

Comment

• Originally posted by MrAugustana View Post

Rabbit they would freeze, then cling wrap around the waist of a (typically intoxicated) football player wearing a heavy winter coat, then unravel during a timeout with other students shielding him.

I won't spoil the coyote trick in case the students ever have a chance to do it again. ;)
                                Think I know the coyote trick involving a door. The coyote was not frozen. Guard Tommy Brown's mother made a big deal about it, and I believe there was a story in the Argus leader slandering the act. Been many years so I might be wrong.

Comment

Ad3

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X