Support The Site!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Thunder View Post
    Last weekend was very disappointing for NSU coming off the big weekday win at Moorhead. I knew the USF game would be a grind, but the Wolves had some good opportunities to win that one. The SMSU game was kind of a stinker. Credit to the Mustangs for winning, but the Wolves didn't look good. Credit where it is due, Kobe gave NSU a boost of energy and even made a shot. However, the fact that Saul saw it necessary for Kobe to play that much is a pretty good indication of how the rest of the team looked. The NSIC is a tough league and you need to come ready to play almost every night (you can take the Crookston games off). Northern will need to bounce back with Mankato coming to town on Friday for what should be a good game.
    Saw some of first half of USF but didn't see any of the SMSU. Mustangs always play good defense it seems like.

On a fun side note that was the 100th meeting between NSU and USF and the 99th meeting between NSU and SMSU, atleast according to the Wolves history keeping.

Wolves lead USF 75-25 and SMSU 71-28

Comment

• Originally posted by NSU4LIFE View Post

Saw some of first half of USF but didn't see any of the SMSU. Mustangs always play good defense it seems like.

On a fun side note that was the 100th meeting between NSU and USF and the 99th meeting between NSU and SMSU, atleast according to the Wolves history keeping.

I saw someone post this on Twitter last night. What we're seeing from the Mustangs defensively this season is at historic levels....up there with DeMasi's senior year (Elite Eight) and with Klomp's senior year.

Comment

• Originally posted by Thunder View Post
        Last weekend was very disappointing for NSU coming off the big weekday win at Moorhead. I knew the USF game would be a grind, but the Wolves had some good opportunities to win that one. The SMSU game was kind of a stinker. Credit to the Mustangs for winning, but the Wolves didn't look good. Credit where it is due, Kobe gave NSU a boost of energy and even made a shot. However, the fact that Saul saw it necessary for Kobe to play that much is a pretty good indication of how the rest of the team looked. The NSIC is a tough league and you need to come ready to play almost every night (you can take the Crookston games off). Northern will need to bounce back with Mankato coming to town on Friday for what should be a good game.
        You guys have mentioned it in other threads...Northern isn't deep. The Mustangs make you WORK for everything on both ends...I think that leads to a quicker fatigue, and depth becomes more important.

Comment

• Originally posted by Stanger86 View Post
          You guys have mentioned it in other threads...Northern isn't deep. The Mustangs make you WORK for everything on both ends...I think that leads to a quicker fatigue, and depth becomes more important.
          And yet SMSU lost to an extremely shallow Augustana team. SPORTS!

Comment

• Originally posted by Augieholic View Post

In fairness, the SMSU rotation has shifted quite a bit since that weekend. Mustangs are 7-3 since the switch.

Comment

• Originally posted by Augieholic View Post

every NSIC game is a crap shoot. I would not say we are deep at this point either. Some injuries and we haven't had the same rotation any weekend for months due to different players hurt

Comment

• Originally posted by MrMustang View Post

every NSIC game is a crap shoot. I would not say we are deep at this point either. Some injuries and we haven't had the same rotation any weekend for months due to different players hurt
                but our core 7-8 is playing very well lately so it has been fun

Comment

• Originally posted by NSU4LIFE View Post

It's interesting that the same release from NSU states:

NSU vs. USF All-Time: 41-17
                  Sioux Falls............................................. ..........74-24 (1-1)
                  • Northern is 41-17 all-time against Sioux Falls

NSU vs. SMSU All-Time: 40-19
                  Southwest Minnesota State............................71-26 (3-0)
                  • The Wolves are 40-19 all-time against the Mustangs

I only took the time to look because I thought it was odd that the number of meetings was so close. I have been following NSU for 35+ years and I don't remember them playing USF for most of that time prior to them joining the conference in 2012. The larger numbers coupled with the losses this past weekend would equate to the 99th and 98th meetings of the teams, which is also different (by 1) from the numbers that you had.

I think we can say for certain that it was a meeting between teams that had played each other before.
                  https://nsuwolves.com/documents/2023...B_USF_SMSU.pdf

Comment

• You can find the complete lists of meetings on pages 35–37 here: https://s3.us-east-2.amazonaws.com/s...2022Update.pdf

Comment

• Originally posted by Inkblot View Post
                      You can find the complete lists of meetings on pages 35–37 here: https://s3.us-east-2.amazonaws.com/s...2022Update.pdf
                      Makes you wonder why the person that wrote the Game Notes didn't do that. SMSU game notes provide further discrepancies: •SMSU and Northern State meet for the 100th time with NSU leading 68-31 in series that started in 1972-73.

https://smsumustangs.com/documents/2...ek9MSUMNSU.pdf

Comment

• Originally posted by NSUgrad View Post

Makes you wonder why the person that wrote the Game Notes didn't do that. SMSU game notes provide further discrepancies: •SMSU and Northern State meet for the 100th time with NSU leading 68-31 in series that started in 1972-73.

https://smsumustangs.com/documents/2...ek9MSUMNSU.pdf
                        When all else fails, trust Kelly Loft...

Comment

• I continue to be dumbfounded by the Warriors this year. They look so good some nights (beating UMD on the road) and others look lost. I know it's part "live by the 3, die by the 3," but if they find consistent scoring, this team can make noise.

Comment

• Originally posted by wsuguy87 View Post
                            I continue to be dumbfounded by the Warriors this year. They look so good some nights (beating UMD on the road) and others look lost. I know it's part "live by the 3, die by the 3," but if they find consistent scoring, this team can make noise.
                            They show some flashes, but they need to figure it out sooner than later as the nsic tourney will be here before you know it.

Comment

• Originally posted by wsuguy87 View Post
                              I continue to be dumbfounded by the Warriors this year. They look so good some nights (beating UMD on the road) and others look lost. I know it's part "live by the 3, die by the 3," but if they find consistent scoring, this team can make noise.
                              If you hang your hat on shooting that many 3's inconsistent scoring is a feature, not a bug. Any team employing that strategy is very dangerous on the nights they shoot over 40% from 3. Most nights however they aren't going to shoot that high because it simply isn't sustainable over a season, especially if you don't have a good post player that forces defenses to sag and help. For the program as a whole, it's just a strange development as Winona formerly was known for defense, length, and athleticism. Not much question which model works better, but you have to be able to recruit the players.

A primary example is WSC. They currently lead the conference in 3 pt percentage, and a big part of this is that most opposing defenses choose to focus on Janssen in the paint (and as a bonus, in addition to scoring Janssen is an exceptionally good passer out of double-teams). Meanwhile, Winona is dead last in the conference in 3 pt percentage (29%), but they take quite a few more 3 pointers than WSC. Winona's lack of a post threat makes it tough on the shooters as defenses don't need to help in the paint and can focus on the perimeter.

So, can the Warriors get hot for a night or even a tournament? Absolutely. Would I bet on it happening? Not how I would invest my money...

Comment

• Ran into Terry Porter and he told me he'll be in attendance like he is for all Mustangs games but that tonight he'll be wearing red. Just thought you few Huskies fans left on here would appreciate that.

He thinks Quincy was a good hire.

He thinks Heather Weems sucks.

he loves Underwood

He thinks no football at SCSU sucks

Comment

Ad3

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X