Collapse

Support The Site!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Anyone else watch that UMD-Wayne game? There were two absolutely awful calls back-to-back in the final minute against the Wildcats. Austin Andrews flopped into a called Janssen charge, and then the next play a Wayne defender got crossed up, tripped on his own feet, and was given a flop technical. If those things happened to me, I'd probably be as manic as Jeff Kaminsky is, too.

Kudos to Wayne for fighting through all that to force OT anyway.

Comment

• Originally posted by Mark Emmert's Burner View Post
      Anyone else watch that UMD-Wayne game? There were two absolutely awful calls back-to-back in the final minute against the Wildcats. Austin Andrews flopped into a called Janssen charge, and then the next play a Wayne defender got crossed up, tripped on his own feet, and was given a flop technical. If those things happened to me, I'd probably be as manic as Jeff Kaminsky is, too.

Kudos to Wayne for fighting through all that to force OT anyway.
      Sadly I missed this but Austin Andrews is a fraud so I can believe it. With John Yorkovich AND Isaiah reffing the game all things are possible.

Comment

• If the Vikings can play this well against UMD, maybe a weekend road sweep, I know that's a big IF. Maybe our highly acclaimed freshmen are getting the college game? It was especially gratifying having Jackson Loge game go so well. Rebounding edge was 45-26 in favor of Augie.
        Last edited by vikingfaithful; 01-27-2023, 10:29 PM.

Comment

• It’s always good to beat Winona. I’m glad I knew the outcome before I watched the game or I probably would’ve thrown something. Hopefully Moni is ok. He appeared to get rolled up on at the end.

I hope Hilmer got it all out of his system tonight with 41 in a victory over Moorhead. I’m not his biggest fan for sure, but he may present a tough matchup tomorrow night.

Comment

• Originally posted by Thunder View Post

I do like this team, but this will be the death of this team. NSU’s season will end in a game when they aren’t making threes and have no plan B. Moni and Belka are not true post players, but have shown the ability to score from there. There just isn’t any indication Saul is willing to go down low with this team.
            This team has no alternative unless Sam drives for a layup and/or dishes it off. Our guys camp outside more than guests at a KOA Campground. I guess that’s the gamble you take - when you’re on you beat NWMSU and when you’re off you lose to Augie….

Comment

• Originally posted by NSUguy View Post
              I guess that’s the gamble you take - when you’re on you beat NWMSU and when you’re off you lose to Augie….
              Moved into a tie for 6th in the South last night! Thanks for noticing!

Comment

This team has no alternative unless Sam drives for a layup and/or dishes it off. Our guys camp outside more than guests at a KOA Campground. I guess that’s the gamble you take - when you’re on you beat NWMSU and when you’re off you lose to Augie….
                I also understand that basketball has changed to a game of threes or layups. Saul's offense is more based on dribble penetration than having someone sit on the block. But when you really only have one player than can consistently get to the bucket that puts a lot of pressure on Sam if the outside shots aren't falling. He's fantastic and this offense suits his game really well. That is why is is averaging 18/7/7 on the season. Those numbers are crazy at this level. The ceiling for this NSU team is very high and they can make a ton of threes. But the floor can be pretty ugly if the deep ball doesn't fall. Doing that for 3-4 games in the conference tournament will be tough, and doing it for 6 straight games in March will be almost impossible against the level of competition and defense NSU will be facing.

Comment

• Well Moorhead got throughly Hilmered last night. He was 7-10 from 3 and I think he made a few of them from half court. Msum needs to shake it off and come ready for Winona today. I’m sure it will be another tough road test.

Comment

I guess that’s the gamble you take - when you’re on you beat NWMSU and when you’re off you lose to Augie….
                    Not trying to be a jerk but using NW is a weird example. NSU hasn't beaten NW in at least 5 years. I had to double check our game this year because the way this was written I thought NW had lost. There have been some close games over the years though!

Comment

• Originally posted by NWHoops View Post

Not trying to be a jerk but using NW is a weird example. NSU hasn't beaten NW in at least 5 years. I had to double check our game this year because the way this was written I thought NW had lost. There have been some close games over the years though!
                      He was knocking Augie. More trying to say, "When you're on, you can beat the best...when you're off, you can lose to the worst."

Some NSIC fans are pretty happy the Vikings are having a rougher-than-usual year. Even if we aren't technically the worst this season.

Comment

• BSU-Southwest game (disclaimer; I have just seen Southwest play once this year, plus I am old and perhaps out of touch with the modern game)

Southwest: I liked their defense early on (first few minutes). They seemed to bump us around and took us off stride. They also dug down for an occasional steal, but that didn't last. I expected Phipps, a veteran post-player, to create havoc for us down low, but that didn't happen. He corralled one rebound in 25 minutes of play. Defensively, Phipps and others allowed BSU's Sutherland to go 12-13 from the field in the paint. Braaten also struggled. He's young, so we'll give him some grace, but he was not ready to pass the ball against perimeter pressure and also had happy feet. He had five turnovers in 28 minutes. He will play better today. I did like Omot and Costello. Majouk, at 6'10," has a tremendous upside. He was 2-4 from the 3-point line, and his only 2-point shot was a nice dribble dunk. He also pulled down eight rebounds. I liked the coach's rotation, but Braaten's minutes may not have been warranted for last night.

BSU: The Beavers continue to play well and do so, with Sutherland and Kone each playing 40 minutes. That sounds like too much, but I suppose you have to do what you have to do. I really like those two (I am sure I am missing others, but they stand out to me). Southerland has the best in-the-paint stab shot floater I have seen in years; ambidextrous too. I would keep riding that horse when he goes 12-13 in the paint. And it's tough to collapse against those quick, fluid floaters effectively. Kone is a superb penetrator and disher. He is extraordinary in getting a rebound and busting down the court. He's the reason the Beavers outran the Mustangs last night. Williams and Ahlbreht are playing well too. I didn't expect a young freshman (Williams) to contribute so significantly so early. Smith has his moments for us but sometimes falls asleep when he doesn't get a call. However, he had an incredible contested dunk drive off a banana dribble from the left elbow, so he is capable.

Congrats to Coach Boschee and the Beavers. Good luck this afternoon against another strong opponent.

Comment

• Originally posted by NWHoops View Post

He's saying the possible highs and lows, we are well aware of the head to head record. Haha

Comment

• Originally posted by MrAugustana View Post

He was knocking Augie. More trying to say, "When you're on, you can beat the best...when you're off, you can lose to the worst."

Some NSIC fans are pretty happy the Vikings are having a rougher-than-usual year. Even if we aren't technically the worst this season.
                            Correct. MrAugustana nailed it. Those NW people are awfully sensitive.

Comment

• Austin Andrews being denied by the front of the rim on a dunk attempt is a gorgeous sight.

Comment

• Tom throwing nearly the entire roster at the Bulldogs and it's been effective so far, Augie up 21-18 at the under 10.

Comment

Ad3

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X