Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Upper Iowa to GLVC

It's official: https://glvcsports.com/news/2022/11/...me-member.aspx

Mixed emotions on this given how welcoming the NSIC was to us when we moved to D2. It's the premier conference in D2 and we've enjoyed success across many sports through the years, but at end of day it's a much different conference from when we joined. The GLVC will be a better fit in terms of footprint and schools that are more similar. When we joined the NSIC it was a very good fit as well, but with the additions of the bigger schools with more resources, city size, and student body size it has made it more difficult to sustain success across multiple sports.

I'll miss this chat board especially, I've been perusing the GLVC and it's pretty limited in discussion and the characters we see in here! With that being said, looking forward to the rest of this year in here around hoops!

Comment

Originally posted by Peacock View Post

Mixed emotions on this given how welcoming the NSIC was to us when we moved to D2. It's the premier conference in D2 and we've enjoyed success across many sports through the years, but at end of day it's a much different conference from when we joined. The GLVC will be a better fit in terms of footprint and schools that are more similar. When we joined the NSIC it was a very good fit as well, but with the additions of the bigger schools with more resources, city size, and student body size it has made it more difficult to sustain success across multiple sports.

I'll miss this chat board especially, I've been perusing the GLVC and it's pretty limited in discussion and the characters we see in here! With that being said, looking forward to the rest of this year in here around hoops!
      Why is that? I thought there was talk on this site that UI had more money to work with than any other school. Also I don’t think UI does all that bad. Everyone can’t be in first place after all. That said, I’m sure they are making the decision for what they think is best for the school. And there is nothing wrong with that.

Comment

Haven’t looked at a map but list of school locations suggests UI being an outlier. Seems like a lot of travel but maybe it’s deceiving. Are they any better off in that regard than they are now?

Comment

Originally posted by DapperDan View Post

Why is that? I thought there was talk on this site that UI had more money to work with than any other school. Also I don’t think UI does all that bad. Everyone can’t be in first place after all. That said, I’m sure they are making the decision for what they think is best for the school. And there is nothing wrong with that.
          A few different reasons, going south and east in winter sports and a shorter overall travel profile makes a difference. More similar sized schools, facilities, and private institutions. I'm not sure on funding compared to NSIC schools, but overall we'll be more competitive across the board in most sports. We had some good football years under Shea, I believe without going back and looking we had 4 or 5 years in a 6 year span where we were 6-5, but it's been a struggle of late. Winning helps with recruiting, retainment, and overall enthusiasm for the program(s). We were split with some of our sports having to play in other leagues (bowling teams, men's soccer, lacrosse) those are all under same conference now as well. A lot of factors played into it, overall I think a positive move, time will tell. As you said we have done well during stretches in the NSIC, but overall I think most programs will benefit from the move.

Comment

Originally posted by DapperDan View Post

Haven’t looked at a map but list of school locations suggests UI being an outlier. Seems like a lot of travel but maybe it’s deceiving. Are they any better off in that regard than they are now?
            all the travel is south which theoretically is easier, but lots of trip through the Ozarks too !

Comment

A few different reasons, going south and east in winter sports and a shorter overall travel profile makes a difference. More similar sized schools, facilities, and private institutions. I'm not sure on funding compared to NSIC schools, but overall we'll be more competitive across the board in most sports. We had some good football years under Shea, I believe without going back and looking we had 4 or 5 years in a 6 year span where we were 6-5, but it's been a struggle of late. Winning helps with recruiting, retainment, and overall enthusiasm for the program(s). We were split with some of our sports having to play in other leagues (bowling teams, men's soccer, lacrosse) those are all under same conference now as well. A lot of factors played into it, overall I think a positive move, time will tell. As you said we have done well during stretches in the NSIC, but overall I think most programs will benefit from the move.
              I would agree that Upper has more in common with GLVC schools are far as size and profile. I expect them to do better especially in football

Comment

Ad3

Collapse
              Working...
              X