Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by DapperDan View Post

Seems like a lifetime ago.
    Wouldn't know. Regional committee decided they wanted to see a 27-point non-conference drubbing with St Cloud over a conference matchup that produced two of Winona's closest games of the season...

Comment

Seems like a lifetime ago.
      Absolute peak NSIC hoops action during that era. Great crowds in multiple places, high level hoops. Miss it.

Comment

Originally posted by Stanger86 View Post

Wouldn't know. Regional committee decided they wanted to see a 27-point non-conference drubbing with St Cloud over a conference matchup that produced two of Winona's closest games of the season...
        There was a year too where they let Colorado Christian in whom Winona absolutely annihilated, over Southwest who gave them competitive games. The NSIC was viewed as an undeserving substandard conference at the time.

Comment

If I could remember how to embed a tweet I would, but our good friend Inkblot has updated his bracketology for this week and I've gotta say I'm quite surprised.

1. Central Oklahoma
          2. Northern St
          3. Moorhead
          4. Emporia St
          5. NW Missouri St
          6. USF
          7. Southern Nazarene
          8. SMSU

The numbers certainly do like NSU this year and 2 through 5 seem to be pretty closely bunched together. The 2 wins over Moorhead are undoubtedly what are keeping the Wolves this high. I would be surprised to see a 5-loss NSU over a 2-loss NWMSU. SMSU also gets a huge boost from beating Northern over the weekend. If I had to guess I would say Duluth and MO Southern would probably round out the regional rankings at this point.

Inkblot is a great follow if you like D2 sports.

Comment

NWMSU/UC0/ESU all play each other once and maybe twice more(depending on MIAA Tourney bracket) before the Regional so current rankings of those 3 could definitely change.

Comment

There was a year too where they let Colorado Christian in whom Winona absolutely annihilated, over Southwest who gave them competitive games. The NSIC was viewed as an undeserving substandard conference at the time.
              remember those snubs well.

Comment

Originally posted by Thunder View Post
                If I could remember how to embed a tweet I would, but our good friend Inkblot has updated his bracketology for this week and I've gotta say I'm quite surprised.

1. Central Oklahoma
                2. Northern St
                3. Moorhead
                4. Emporia St
                5. NW Missouri St
                6. USF
                7. Southern Nazarene
                8. SMSU

The numbers certainly do like NSU this year and 2 through 5 seem to be pretty closely bunched together. The 2 wins over Moorhead are undoubtedly what are keeping the Wolves this high. I would be surprised to see a 5-loss NSU over a 2-loss NWMSU. SMSU also gets a huge boost from beating Northern over the weekend. If I had to guess I would say Duluth and MO Southern would probably round out the regional rankings at this point.

That is kind of surprising when looking at records, but our strength of schedule is hurting us. Some of the "good" teams we beat in the preseason have turned out to not be so good. Flagler is 8-9, Truman is 7-10, West Tx A&M is doing alright at 11-5, but we've played some dogs too. Crookston is 1-17, and a couple of MIAA bottom feeders UNK and PSU are a combined 8-25. Northern is the best team we've beaten. The 2 ranked teams other than WTxA&M that we have played have both beaten us, so it's a little hard to make the argument that we're as strong as ever. I think we're still pretty good, but there's a lot of basketball left to play to determine that. Even though the score was mostly within reach the entire UCO game, it didn't feel like the game was ever really in doubt. Hopefully, the rematch in Maryville in late February has a lot riding on it.

Comment

Originally posted by Alfred33 View Post

That is kind of surprising when looking at records, but our strength of schedule is hurting us. Some of the "good" teams we beat in the preseason have turned out to not be so good. Flagler is 8-9, Truman is 7-10, West Tx A&M is doing alright at 11-5, but we've played some dogs too. Crookston is 1-17, and a couple of MIAA bottom feeders UNK and PSU are a combined 8-25. Northern is the best team we've beaten. The 2 ranked teams other than WTxA&M that we have played have both beaten us, so it's a little hard to make the argument that we're as strong as ever. I think we're still pretty good, but there's a lot of basketball left to play to determine that. Even though the score was mostly within reach the entire UCO game, it didn't feel like the game was ever really in doubt. Hopefully, the rematch in Maryville in late February has a lot riding on it.
                  I'm still not sure what the people running the Hillyard were thinking inviting Crookston to that event. The only thing I can guess is that it would be a guarantee win for Western and it still took them OT to get that win.

Comment

For comparison's sake and yes I know it factors in non-D2 games here is how the Regional Rankings would look using Massey's Ratings:

1. NW Missouri (overall #2)
                    2. Central OK (#3)
                    3. MSU Moorhead (#9)
                    4. Emporia (#11)
                    5. Northern (#15)
                    6. Southern Nazarene (#21)
                    7. UMD (#26)
                    8. MoSo (#28)
                    9. Ft Hays (#30)
                    10. USF (#32)

Comment

Originally posted by Augieholic View Post
                      For comparison's sake and yes I know it factors in non-D2 games here is how the Regional Rankings would look using Massey's Ratings:

1. NW Missouri (overall #2)
                      2. Central OK (#3)
                      3. MSU Moorhead (#9)
                      4. Emporia (#11)
                      5. Northern (#15)
                      6. Southern Nazarene (#21)
                      7. UMD (#26)
                      8. MoSo (#28)
                      9. Ft Hays (#30)
                      10. USF (#32)
                      Wow... that's absurd. lol I can't even come up with a fictional scenario wearing my greenest Bearcatiest glasses that would put us ahead of UCO at this point.

Comment

To be honest, sorting out 2–5 was tricky this week. All four are clustered together in PI, but there's a huge difference in RPI between NSU/MSUM and NW/ESU. NW does have the head-to-head win over NSU, but also a head-to-head loss to ESU.

Last year it was clear that, at least in this region, a single head-to-head wasn't viewed as decisive – NW being one spot ahead of UCO in the first and third rankings and then Washburn being selected over ESU. But if I recall correctly, two-game sweeps were given more weight, so it feels like I have to have NSU over MSUM as long as the numbers are close.

In the end, I felt it was best to keep them in the order the RPI had them – but I'm not extremely confident the committee would do the same.

Comment

If I could remember how to embed a tweet I would
                          It's [ tweet]19-digit number from the tweet's URL[/tweet] (minus the extra space in the opening tag).

Comment

I think that was the very next year? 2007-08? Senior year for Fletch and Krenske. Mustangs were 17-12, CCU was 18-13. Winona won 78-45.

Two snubs in a row before a Elite Eight run. Again, not bitter.

Comment

Helping Southwest are the win over Northern, but also the sweep over Sioux Falls. Also, to a point someone else made...we haven't played Crookston yet.

Comment

Originally posted by Inkblot View Post

It's [ tweet]19-digit number from the tweet's URL[/tweet] (minus the extra space in the opening tag).
                                The full URL will get it done too, I believe.

Comment

Ad3

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X