Support The Site!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by NWFanatic View Post
    NWMSU/UC0/ESU all play each other once and maybe twice more(depending on MIAA Tourney bracket) before the Regional so current rankings of those 3 could definitely change.
    Thanks to the unbalanced schedule ESU and UCO only play once this year in the regular season. (Even though Emporia is closer to Edmond than nine of the other MIAA schools?)
    Also only play UNK and FHSU once even though again Emporia is closer to both of those schools than ten of the other MIAA cities.

Comment

Originally posted by Hornetfan View Post

Thanks to the unbalanced schedule ESU and UCO only play once this year in the regular season. (Even though Emporia is closer to Edmond than nine of the other MIAA schools?)
      Also only play UNK and FHSU once even though again Emporia is closer to both of those schools than ten of the other MIAA cities.
      I had to double check the schedule because NW only played UCO once last year and that was at UCO. Glad to see we have the opportunity to play them at home this year. The one time a year wasn't the problem but if both years were one time AND at UCO both years then that would have been frustrating (especially because of losing both of those).

Comment

Originally posted by NWHoops View Post

I had to double check the schedule because NW only played UCO once last year and that was at UCO. Glad to see we have the opportunity to play them at home this year. The one time a year wasn't the problem but if both years were one time AND at UCO both years then that would have been frustrating (especially because of losing both of those).
        It's really weird. This year ESU plays UCO, MSSU, UNK, and FHSU just once and last year ESU played UCM, MSSU, UNK and FHSU once. We played in Joplin both years while UNK and FHSU had to come to Emporia both years and we payed at UCO and UCM. These are the scenarios you can end up with when you have to play an unbalanced schedule.

Comment

Originally posted by Hornetfan View Post

It's really weird. This year ESU plays UCO, MSSU, UNK, and FHSU just once and last year ESU played UCM, MSSU, UNK and FHSU once. We played in Joplin both years while UNK and FHSU had to come to Emporia both years and we payed at UCO and UCM. These are the scenarios you can end up with when you have to play an unbalanced schedule.
          Another oddity is that UCO only plays one game this week while most of the conference plays two games this week. Certainly had room to play another game on the schedule. I'm new to all this, my son is a signee for UCO for next year so I'm looking forward to next year and having some skin in the game.
          Last edited by ChoHoopDad; 01-19-2023, 12:41 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by ChoHoopDad View Post

Another oddity is that UCO only plays one game this week while most of the conference plays two games this week. Certainly had room to play another game on the schedule. I'm new to all this, my son is a signee for UCO for next year so I'm looking forward to next year and having some skin in the game.
            Welcome to the board. Not a lot of forum chatter from the Cho's on the basketball side, so you're insight and commentary will be nice addition.

Comment

Originally posted by ChoHoopDad View Post

Typically twice during conference season the only game you have is against your Travel Partner...Newman in UCO's case. Every team has it on their schedule. I've seen where you might play a Sat and Monday game (vs the normal Thursday or Wednesday/Saturday conference schedule) and then not play until Saturday.

Comment

14 teams is an awkward number for scheduling, at least in D2. The MIAA used to use a divisional model (West: UNK, FHSU, Newman, UCO, RSU, NSU, ESU; East: WU, Pitt, MSSU, UCM, LU, MWSU, NW... Pitt and MSSU were in the West when SBU and Lindenwood were in the MIAA) but that resulted in a 19-game conference schedule when the GAC and NSIC both play 22.

Under the current 22-game model, there are just 4 teams that you only play once. Ideally, that would be two pairs of travel partners... but for whatever reason, that's not always what the MIAA does. Here's the breakdown this year by pairing:

UNK/FHSU: play RSU/NSU once and WU/ESU once
                Newman/UCO: play UCM/LU once; for the WU/ESU and NW/MWSU pairings, play one once and the other twice
                RSU/NSU: play UNK/FHSU once and Pitt/MSSU once
                Pitt/MSSU: play RSU/NSU once; for the WU/ESU and NW/MWSU pairings, play one once and the other twice
                WU/ESU: play UNK/FHSU once; for the Newman/UCO and Pitt/MSSU pairings, play one once and the other twice
                UCM/LU: play Newman/UCO once and NW/MWSU once
                NW/MWSU: play UCM/LU once; for the Newman/UCO and Pitt/MSSU pairings, play one once and the other twice

Comment

Originally posted by Inkblot View Post
                  14 teams is an awkward number for scheduling, at least in D2. The MIAA used to use a divisional model (West: UNK, FHSU, Newman, UCO, RSU, NSU, ESU; East: WU, Pitt, MSSU, UCM, LU, MWSU, NW... Pitt and MSSU were in the West when SBU and Lindenwood were in the MIAA) but that resulted in a 19-game conference schedule when the GAC and NSIC both play 22.

Under the current 22-game model, there are just 4 teams that you only play once. Ideally, that would be two pairs of travel partners... but for whatever reason, that's not always what the MIAA does. Here's the breakdown this year by pairing:

UNK/FHSU: play RSU/NSU once and WU/ESU once
                  Newman/UCO: play UCM/LU once; for the WU/ESU and NW/MWSU pairings, play one once and the other twice
                  RSU/NSU: play UNK/FHSU once and Pitt/MSSU once
                  Pitt/MSSU: play RSU/NSU once; for the WU/ESU and NW/MWSU pairings, play one once and the other twice
                  WU/ESU: play UNK/FHSU once; for the Newman/UCO and Pitt/MSSU pairings, play one once and the other twice
                  UCM/LU: play Newman/UCO once and NW/MWSU once
                  NW/MWSU: play UCM/LU once; for the Newman/UCO and Pitt/MSSU pairings, play one once and the other twice
                  NW getting UCO and MSSU twice while only playing UCM, Newman, and Pitt once in that grouping will help their SOS at the end of the year. Those are 3 of the 4 worst teams in the conference right now with only UNK behind them.

Comment

UCO has 1 more MIAA game than NW(due to the unbalanced schedule) but NW picked up 1/2 a game after the win last night vs UCM
                    Last edited by NWFanatic; 01-20-2023, 11:20 AM.

Comment

I would certainly help the Mustangs if they could get 2 big wins this weekend. Not only in the conference race, but also the regional talk.

They played really well against Moorhead and Northern hopefully they can keep that up

Comment

NW getting UCO and MSSU twice while only playing UCM, Newman, and Pitt once in that grouping will help their SOS at the end of the year. Those are 3 of the 4 worst teams in the conference right now with only UNK behind them.
                        That is the weird thing about unbalanced schedules. In one way it can help you win (or lose) a conference regular season championship/seeding for the MIAA Tourney but in another it can help (or hurt) you in SOS come regional time.

Comment

Updated look from Inkblot:

https://twitter.com/InkblotSports/st...Hzyf5qqKw&s=19

Comment

The win by SMSU over Duluth last weekend could be huge come regional selection day. The Mustangs are always well coached, but they have exceeded my expectations this season. Duluth on the other hand has been a little disappointing. The NSIC probably has 7 realistic contenders (you can never count Mankato out with the selection committee) for likely 4 (maybe 3) spots in the Regional. These last 5 weeks will be very important for all of those teams.

Comment

Originally posted by Thunder View Post
                              The win by SMSU over Duluth last weekend could be huge come regional selection day. The Mustangs are always well coached, but they have exceeded my expectations this season. Duluth on the other hand has been a little disappointing. The NSIC probably has 7 realistic contenders (you can never count Mankato out with the selection committee) for likely 4 (maybe 3) spots in the Regional. These last 5 weeks will be very important for all of those teams.
                              4 NSIC teams doesn't seem likely as of today. 2 clear NSIC teams (NSU 15-5 and Moorhead 17-3), 3 clear MIAA teams (UCO 18-1, NW 17-2, and ESU 16-4), and 1 clear GAC team (SNU 14-3). Then there are a bunch of 14-6, 13-6 (or in that general range) teams from amongst the conferences. Should hopefully be more clear in a month but I think there is going to be some razor thin margins for that 3rd NSIC team.

Comment

4 NSIC teams doesn't seem likely as of today. 2 clear NSIC teams (NSU 15-5 and Moorhead 17-3), 3 clear MIAA teams (UCO 18-1, NW 17-2, and ESU 16-4), and 1 clear GAC team (SNU 14-3). Then there are a bunch of 14-6, 13-6 (or in that general range) teams from amongst the conferences. Should hopefully be more clear in a month but I think there is going to be some razor thin margins for that 3rd NSIC team.
                                I'm just looking at Inkblot numbers as they currently stand and the NSIC teams have the edge due to a pretty good non conference season as a whole by the conference. SE Ok St probably has the best chance of taking another at large bid. If one of a few MIAA teams get hot (MOSO, Ft Hays, Lincoln) they could perhaps make it 4 MIAA teams as well. If teams keep playing at current levels I would expect USF, SMSU, UMD, and Wayne to all have a better chance at getting in than those 3 MIAA schools. My inclusion of Mankato was more in regards to them always seeming to get an invite if they are close. They have struggled lately, but if they reel off a bunch of wins they could also have a good argument to get in.

Of course if NSU, Moorhead, ESU, or SNU really stumble down the stretch they could fall out as well. But I would agree, there seem to be 6 teams that can plan on playing in March.

Comment

Ad3

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X