Support The Site!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Thunder View Post
    Probably the only question is who gets the final spot. I think 1-9 are pretty set, but does the committee give the last spot on the list to Southern Arkansas, Wayne St, Lincoln, or Ft Hays? I still don't understand the alphabetical order of the first rankings, especially this late in the season.
    Where did you find these rankings? If you looked on the ncaa website, the rankings listed are from last season. Please let me know, thank you.

Comment

• Originally posted by Thepeman View Post

Where did you find these rankings? If you looked on the ncaa website, the rankings listed are from last season. Please let me know, thank you.
      I think most people are referencing Inkblot's work on Twitter, here is his weekly update on the Central Region:

https://twitter.com/InkblotSports/st...3GV4DXleQ&s=19

Comment

• Originally posted by Augieholic View Post

I think most people are referencing Inkblot's work on Twitter, here is his weekly update on the Central Region:

https://twitter.com/InkblotSports/st...3GV4DXleQ&s=19
        Thank you, makes sense!

Comment

There were several Central Region teams mentioned in the D2 Power Rankings on the NCAA website. I would be really curious to see how Nova SE style would play in the Central Region.
          I'd be fascinated by that as well. Watched a bit of them just to see for myself how they play and it's nothing new or crazy. Just lots of press and forced turnovers leading to easy buckets. Central Region is chock full of teams who do an outstanding job of taking care of the basketball. Does anyone really push the tempo in the region? No one in the GAC plays that way.

Comment

• None of the teams just outside the top 10 in RPI seem to have a good case to be ranked ahead of teams in the top 10; I'm more intrigued by teams a bit lower in RPI that have better wins (think Missouri Southern or Southwest Minnesota State).

Comment

• Originally posted by Inkblot View Post
              None of the teams just outside the top 10 in RPI seem to have a good case to be ranked ahead of teams in the top 10; I'm more intrigued by teams a bit lower in RPI that have better wins (think Missouri Southern or Southwest Minnesota State).
              SMSU does have some impressive wins (Northern, Duluth, USF 2x), but they have lost 4 of their last 6 including a game to the worst team in the region. I don't see any way they make the regional outside of winning the conference tourney, which with their defense isn't completely out of the question but it is unlikely.

Comment

SMSU does have some impressive wins (Northern, Duluth, USF 2x), but they have lost 4 of their last 6 including a game to the worst team in the region. I don't see any way they make the regional outside of winning the conference tourney, which with their defense isn't completely out of the question but it is unlikely.
                Worth noting...USF and WSC are only 3-3 in their last 6. Not like it's an enormous gap. I do think the UMC loss hurt us significantly. It would be interesting to see if a tourney run can affect things. I tend to agree we lost our chance, which is unfortunate.

It's pretty wild that the Mustangs are 4-1 against the four NSIC teams in the Top 10.
                Last edited by Stanger86; 02-15-2023, 04:23 PM.

Comment

• Southern Arkansas is in the top 10 and Fort Hays State isn't. The Muleriders are the only team ranked in any region (men's or women's) that I didn't strongly consider when making my predictions.

Comment

• Here it is:
                    CENTRAL
                    Under Consideration School Overall DII Record In-Region Record
                    Central Okla. 17-3 16-3
                    Emporia St. 17-6 17-6
                    Minn. Duluth 18-8 17-8
                    MSU Moorhead 20-6 18-6
                    Northern St. 20-5 20-4
                    Northwest Mo. St. 21-2 19-2
                    Sioux Falls 16-9 16-9
                    Southeastern Okla. 14-7 14-7
                    Southern Ark. 15-6 15-6
                    Southern Nazarene 20-3 20-3

Comment

• I, too, am surprised both Southeastern and Southern Arkansas are in this first 10. Figured it would be one or the other. Honestly, though, both of them lost to rivals at home on Monday night and those games are not factored in here (same for SNU's thumping of Oklahoma Baptist). I'd imagine both have already excluded themselves or close to it based on those losses alone.

Would have thought Harding women would be under consideration at least. But the other conferences are so deep and the GAC is definitely down this year, so that's not a shock.

Comment

• Womens' initial Central Region rankings are out as well

Augustana (19-4, 19-4)
                        Central Missouri (18-3, 18-3)
                        Fort Hays State (17-8, 17-7)
                        Minnesota-Duluth (22-3, 22-3)
                        Minnesota State-Mankato (20-3, 20-3)
                        Missouri Southern State (20-5, 18-5)
                        Missouri Western State (20-5, 19-5)
                        Nebraska-Kearney (22-3, 22-3)
                        Pittsburg State (17-5, 17-5)
                        Southern Nazarene (19-4, 19-4)

Comment

• Originally posted by Inkblot View Post
                          None of the teams just outside the top 10 in RPI seem to have a good case to be ranked ahead of teams in the top 10; I'm more intrigued by teams a bit lower in RPI that have better wins (think Missouri Southern or Southwest Minnesota State).
                          We definitely have a couple of good wins over UCO, along with one vs. Fort Hays. The two losses to Lincoln hurt, and especially the loss to UCM. We have some big games coming up vs. Fort Hays, NW, and Washburn. If we lose to Kearney tonight, you can write off any slim hope we have. If we win 3 out of 4, and pull one upset in the MIAA tourney, we may still have a slim chance.

Comment

• Originally posted by LukeMcConnell1 View Post
                            I, too, am surprised both Southeastern and Southern Arkansas are in this first 10. Figured it would be one or the other. Honestly, though, both of them lost to rivals at home on Monday night and those games are not factored in here (same for SNU's thumping of Oklahoma Baptist). I'd imagine both have already excluded themselves or close to it based on those losses alone.

Would have thought Harding women would be under consideration at least. But the other conferences are so deep and the GAC is definitely down this year, so that's not a shock.
                            I think Harding's two losses to MIAA schools (MOSO and Emporia) are killing them. The MIAA is so strong and so deep that I agree with six teams being included in this initial list. Things will begin to sort themselves out a little since MOSO and Pitt State both play Kearney and Fort Hays this week. Pitt also plays MoWest next week. These last two weeks and the MIAA tourney will be very interesting. All 6 of the MIAA schools have the talent to make a run thru the MIAA tourney.

Comment

• Originally posted by mosofan1 View Post

I think Harding's two losses to MIAA schools (MOSO and Emporia) are killing them. The MIAA is so strong and so deep that I agree with six teams being included in this initial list. Things will begin to sort themselves out a little since MOSO and Pitt State both play Kearney and Fort Hays this week. Pitt also plays MoWest next week. These last two weeks and the MIAA tourney will be very interesting. All 6 of the MIAA schools have the talent to make a run thru the MIAA tourney.
                              Probably so. Although those aren't bad losses and they were really tight games as well. Plus, Harding is still the only loss for Texas Women's. I know that's a non-region game, but that's as good a win as anyone has in the nation.

I know the Washburn loss for SNU is an anchor on their metrics. But that Pitt State win turned out to be quite nice.

Comment

• On the women's side Kato, UMD, and Augie have clearly separated themselves within the NSIC. I think all three are in good shape to make the Regional as long as they don't lose to anyone besides each other the rest of the way.

If you haven't watched the Kato women press their opponents into oblivion I recommend it. They, especially Joey Batt, lives by the motto that the refs can't/won't call a foul every single possession.

Comment

Ad3

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X