Support The Site!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Midseason NSIC Awards

Last weekend, the switch turned from the first half of the season to the second half. Now we're in the home stretch.

Player of Year (split into divisions if you wish):
    Coach of Year
    Defensive Player of Year:
    Newcomer of Year:

Baumgartner (north) and Cartwright (south)
    Bergstrasser
    McCray
    Dilling

Comment

Baumgartner (North ) just over Sam from Northern Janssen from Wayne (south) slightly over Hilmer from Upper- just can't give it to a guy in his 14th year like Cartwright - ala Luke Anderson or Clayton Vette

coach - Bergstrasser (north) Bigler (south) - homer maybe but they are young and he has tried several lineups to make it work

DPY - McCray - he locks guys down - fun to watch

newcomer - not sure - haven't seen everyone play yet - Diling maybe - no one makes me go wow ( I might have forgot someone) - lots of "good " freshmen playing important minutes but none that is MVP like in the league yet

pleasant suprises - Mary and Minot -- they are good. They play hard. I did not think they would be that good.

Comment

FWIW

Sam
        17.7 ppg 9th in NSIC
        6.8 rpg 10th in NSIC
        6.6 apg 1st in NSIC​​​
        54.1 FG% 7th in NSIC
        77.2 FT% 12th in NSIC
        33.6 min 8th in NSIC

Gavin
        13.2 ppg 25th in NSIC
        4.1 rpg outside 25th in NSIC
        3.8 apg 8th in NSIC
        45.5 FG% 13th in NSIC*
        86 FT% 5th in NSIC*
        30.8 min outside 25th in NSIC

(*) where he would rank but hasn't hit the minimum to qualify in overall standings.

Comment

Originally posted by NSU4LIFE View Post
          FWIW

Sam
          17.7 ppg 9th in NSIC
          6.8 rpg 10th in NSIC
          6.6 apg 1st in NSIC​​​
          54.1 FG% 7th in NSIC
          77.2 FT% 12th in NSIC
          33.6 min 8th in NSIC

Gavin
          13.2 ppg 25th in NSIC
          3.8 apg 8th in NSIC
          45.5 FG% 13th in NSIC*
          86 FT% 5th in NSIC*

(*) where he would rank but hasn't hit the minimum to qualify in overall standings.
          Yep if the award is only about the raw stats Sam should win. My guess is you could make an argument that Cartwright’s stats better than both. But I would still select Baumgartner and Sam over him if there was only one award. Raw stats shouldn’t be the whole story. But Sam is also certainly worthy. Blair stats from umd probably look better than both.

Comment

Originally posted by Moorhead123 View Post

Yep if the award is only about the raw stats Sam should win. My guess is you could make an argument that Cartwright’s stats better than both. But I would still select Baumgartner and Sam over him if there was only one award. Raw stats shouldn’t be the whole story. But Sam is also certainly worthy. Blair stats from umd probably look better than both.
            What else is it about that would give Gavin the boost to overcome stat differential? Lol

Comment

I'd definitely give it to Sam of the two. For the record, Bigler believes Masten has been the best player in the league too.

(which should also boost McCray's DPOY case...)

Comment

FWIW

Sam
                17.7 ppg 9th in NSIC
                6.8 rpg 10th in NSIC
                6.6 apg 1st in NSIC​​​
                54.1 FG% 7th in NSIC
                77.2 FT% 12th in NSIC
                33.6 min 8th in NSIC

Gavin
                13.2 ppg 25th in NSIC
                3.8 apg 8th in NSIC
                45.5 FG% 13th in NSIC*
                86 FT% 5th in NSIC*

Sam is certainly worthy - no disputing that - heckuva player. Gavin had a little better game in Marshall so maybe that tainted me

Comment

Originally posted by MrMustang View Post

Sam is certainly worthy - no disputing that - heckuva player. Gavin had a little better game in Marshall so maybe that tainted me
                  Haha, no worries. It's just an individual award so whatever happens, happens.

I used tousry to watch a lot of action now I dont even see all of Northern action. Like most things in life, we can only know and believe what we see, what we are told isn't always as believable for any number of reasons.

Comment

I think Masten is clearly the North POY at this point. Not only are his numbers really good, I believe he is the most important player to his team in the conference. NSU is a different team when he isn’t on the floor. You might not find a bigger Baumgartner fan outside of Moorhead than me, but it’s not close in my opinion.

Comment

Surprised no one has mentioned John Sutherland from Bemidji in the North. Understand the love for Baumgartner and especially Masten.

But Sutherland's numbers are pretty impressive:
                      • 19.1 ppg
                      • 9.0 rpg
                      • 2.1 apg
                      • 60.9 FG%
                      • 64.3 FT%
                      • 31.4 min
                      Pretty salty numbers. I'd still go with Masten. Just thought Sutherland's accomplishments shouldn't be overlooked.

Comment

Originally posted by Blue Ridge Viking View Post
                        Surprised no one has mentioned John Sutherland from Bemidji in the North. Understand the love for Baumgartner and especially Masten.

• 19.1 ppg
                        • 9.0 rpg
                        • 2.1 apg
                        • 60.9 FG%
                        • 64.3 FT%
                        • 31.4 min
                        Pretty salty numbers. I'd still go with Masten. Just thought Sutherland's accomplishments shouldn't be overlooked.
                        Bigler was singing his praises last night when I told him they better not go to Bemidji and lose. I was quickly corrected that Bemidji is good and has a nice turnaround this season and that Sutherland was a top 5 player in the league

Comment

Originally posted by MrMustang View Post

Bigler was singing his praises last night when I told him they better not go to Bemidji and lose. I was quickly corrected that Bemidji is good and has a nice turnaround this season and that Sutherland was a top 5 player in the league
                          I will give John Sutherland his props. Augie is struggling this season, but the defense has been OK. Sutherland dropped 22 on the Viks, 10rebounds.

Comment

Originally posted by Blue Ridge Viking View Post

• 19.1 ppg
                            • 9.0 rpg
                            • 2.1 apg
                            • 60.9 FG%
                            • 64.3 FT%
                            • 31.4 min
                            I wildly underestimated Bemidji before Saturday afternoon. That's a tough team who leans into their strengths.

Comment

What else is it about that would give Gavin the boost to overcome stat differential? Lol
                              Let’s pretend Msum ends up winning last 8 games and wins the north and overall nsic. There is an argument that Msum’s best player (which may be Baumgartner or Beeninga) should win the player of year in the north. Similar reason nobody talking about Kimmons from csp winning POY in south because team isn’t winning.

Comment

Ad3

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X